HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

HH Acadian Perique

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: HH Acadian Perique    Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:20 pm

Anyone else enjoy smoking this blend? When I opened my first tin and gave it a whirl, my impression was that it was decent and that the perique was quite mellow. I was miffed as to why Mac Baren had named the blend Acadian Perique because mostly what I tasted was the Kentucky dart fired. I put the rest in a jar and man has it ever changed. This stuff is super. Sweet, briny, spicy, very flavorful and quite "periquey." I am impressed!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: HH Acadian Perique    Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:49 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Anyone else enjoy smoking this blend? When I opened my first tin and gave it a whirl, my impression was that it was decent and that the perique was quite mellow. I was miffed as to why Mac Baren had named the blend Acadian Perique because mostly what I tasted was the Kentucky dart fired. I put the rest in a jar and man has it ever changed. This stuff is super. Sweet, briny, spicy, very flavorful and quite "periquey." I am impressed!

Do you like Haddo's and Chennet's Cake?  I think I remember from other posts that you did but not sure.  If so, how does it compare to those?  I am a big fan of those two and like the idea of comparing similar blends.

Edit:  Just checked TobaccoReviews.  The oldest ones posted are from 2009.

Sad Sad

That means it will go the way of the Dodo soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: HH Acadian Perique    Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:20 pm

I liked it when it first came out, and then grew tired of it. Hard to say why, perhaps just found it a bit one-dimensional in the VaPer category. It's been a while now since I've had it, so will ferret out the jar and give it another whirl. Thanks for the prompt Chris.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
ak2000

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: HH Acadian Perique    Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:34 pm

I like it, one of the few Va/Per blends that doesn't bite me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.alphaprimecomm.com
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: HH Acadian Perique    Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:13 pm

I like it a lot. Actually, I'm addicted to the point where I smoke it exclusively till the tin is empty. I like the perique and the slight topping it seems to have. Never tried the bulk. Wonder if it's as good? The possibility of it becoming "extinct" does not please me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: HH Acadian Perique    Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:35 pm

I got a tin when it came out, smoked a few bowls, and thought, 'meh, I do this at home with my BBQ Blend'. I tried it again a few months ago and decided to send it off with someone who really liked it. It's alright I guess, but moved it along before I let it age. Perhaps that might have made a difference?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: HH Acadian Perique    Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:03 am

I guess what I like most about it, is that it isn't a VaPer. It's much more of a "mixture" that just happens to have Virginia and perique in it. I like the nuances it has, and the room note it almost pleasant. But yeah, I detect just a touch of the Mac Baren Cavendish, slightly sweet but there's a lot of savory going on, and a briny green olive kind of thing. It's an interesting mixture. Usually blends with this many components are muddled tasting but to me this one has good flavor clarity. I don't know if age brought out the best with it, as much as a just a good old decanting. Open the tin, air the tobacco a bit and put it in a jar with more headroom for safe keeping, come back to it a bit later and find that all the finer flavors have some how arrived.

Fight'n Hampsters, Never had Chenet's Cake, but I love Haddo's. MacB's Acadian and Haddo's are akin in that they're both VaPer mixtures with 4-5 types of tobaccos, but flavor wise they are quite far a part. Haddo's has way more perique and is much spicier and more heady. AP has somewhere like 5% perique but it also has the Dark Fired KY that Mac Baren uses in Old Dark Fired and Vintage Syrian, so as the Wiz mentioned there's a dark, earthy BBQ/smoky thing going on with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: HH Acadian Perique    Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:51 am

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
This stuff is super. Sweet, briny, spicy, very flavorful and quite "periquey." I am impressed!

Mm, now that's piqued my interest DB. One to add to the ever growing list! Are you saying it's not a VaPer in its truest sense because its got the Cav added?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: HH Acadian Perique    Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:14 am

Sounds delicious... enjoy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: HH Acadian Perique    Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:17 pm

Stick wrote:
Mm, now that's piqued my interest DB.  One to add to the ever growing list!  Are you saying it's not a VaPer in its truest sense because its got the Cav added?

Stick, more because of the Cav, plus the Oriental leaf and the dark fired. 5 different tobaccos altogether.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: HH Acadian Perique    Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:42 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Stick wrote:
Mm, now that's piqued my interest DB.  One to add to the ever growing list!  Are you saying it's not a VaPer in its truest sense because its got the Cav added?

Stick, more because of the Cav, plus the Oriental leaf and the dark fired. 5 different tobacc7os altogether.

It's a surprisingly complex blend that tastes very uncomplicated. lol!

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: HH Acadian Perique    Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:39 pm

MisterE wrote:

It's a surprisingly complex blend that tastes very uncomplicated. lol!

Exactly! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: HH Acadian Perique    Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:55 pm

Yup, I like it with at least 2 years of age on it. Does not bite and a very smooth complex tasty smoke.
Chris, I agree it's more like a " mixture ", the cavendish and orientals bring this fine blend all together for a superb smoke.  Plus 3.5 oz. for under $18.00 is a bargain for this quality blend. This is a blend you MUST stock up, by the end of 2018 it will most likely be gone forever.
I've never, not to my recollection seen this blend in bulk...trying to think.... scratch scratch scratch

PS, thanks Chris you made my mouth crave this blend. So I just popped a tin open. cheers

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: HH Acadian Perique    Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:45 pm

Lonecoyote wrote:
...I've never, not to my recollection seen this blend in bulk...trying to think.... scratch scratch scratch

Mars currently has it in one pound "factory units," which I suppose are not considered bulk on some sites.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: HH Acadian Perique    Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:10 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
Mars currently has it in one pound "factory units," which I suppose are not considered bulk on some sites.

WOW, thanks for the info Rich!! It may be a one pound factory unit, a big tin it looks like. I wouldn't consider it bulk. Tomorrow I will give them a call and see if they can put a pound on hold for me, @ $62.75 for a pound seems high but it's all top quality tobacco's. That would be part of my $100.00 a month budget spent on tobacco's or a pipe.
Your my HERO....😘😘😘...... lol! lol! lol!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ak2000

PostSubject: Re: HH Acadian Perique    Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:56 pm

Much less expensive at pipesandcigars.com and you can use the October discount code pcthanks17 on a $100 order for 20% off.
Back to top Go down
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: HH Acadian Perique    Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:05 pm

ak2000 wrote:
Much less expensive at pipesandcigars.com and you can use the October discount code pcthanks17 on a $100 order for 20% off.

Thanks, but with the THREE major issues I had prior with P&C I would not do business with them again @ 75% off. Just don't trust them Evil or Very Mad Surprised

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: HH Acadian Perique    Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:17 pm

Lonecoyote wrote:
ak2000 wrote:

Thanks, but with the THREE major issues I had prior with P&C I would not do business with them again @ 75% off. Just don't trust them Evil or Very Mad Surprised

Yup. It's backordered there. Which means your chances of ever getting it are zilch, as opposed to near-zilch w/f'ups if they had it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ak2000

PostSubject: Re: HH Acadian Perique    Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:27 pm

Shit, sorry didn't notice the backorder.
Back to top Go down
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: HH Acadian Perique    Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:29 pm

ak2000 wrote:
Shit, sorry didn't notice the backorder.

Hey, still appreciate you trying...thanks.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: HH Acadian Perique    Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:04 pm

Found the jar I had this in today, and loaded up a smallish estate Edwards author for a short smoke.

Liked it immensely. Burned a little hot, but then again the moisture content was a little on the low side (as I received it, and prefer), and the cut was virtually a shag. So slow cadence prevailed.

I also received this in bulk form, after being interested in the tinned version on the initial launch. Think I also read some threads about if the bulk was considered the same as the tinned, which had conflicting reviews. There again, I might be confusing this statement with some other blend. Hard to remember!

In any case, the HH AP smoked fine, and while I wouldn't necessarily consider it a strong candidate for the VaPer category, it's certainly complex enough with all the other elements to be worthy. Think Chris summed it up thus-

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
I guess what I like most about it, is that it isn't a VaPer. It's much more of a "mixture" that just happens to have Virginia and perique in it. I like the nuances it has, and the room note it almost pleasant. But yeah, I detect just a touch of the Mac Baren Cavendish, slightly sweet but there's a lot of savory going on, and a briny green olive kind of thing. It's an interesting mixture. Usually blends with this many components are muddled tasting but to me this one has good flavor clarity. I don't know if age brought out the best with it, as much as a just a good old decanting. Open the tin, air the tobacco a bit and put it in a jar with more headroom for safe keeping, come back to it a bit later and find that all the finer flavors have some how arrived.

That's as good an assessment as I could do Chris.

And Stick, me ol' mate.....you might just be able to taste this in due course. Wink

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: HH Acadian Perique    Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:06 am

DrumsAndBeer wrote:

Fight'n Hampsters, Never had Chenet's Cake, but I love Haddo's. MacB's Acadian and Haddo's are akin in that they're both VaPer mixtures with 4-5 types of tobaccos, but flavor wise they are quite far a part. Haddo's has way more perique and is much spicier and more heady. AP has somewhere like 5% perique but it also has the Dark Fired KY that Mac Baren uses in Old Dark Fired and Vintage Syrian, so as the Wiz mentioned there's a dark, earthy BBQ/smoky thing going on with it.

That helps. I may give it a shot, not sure if I can afford to get hooked on another. Sad

Last edited by Fight'n Hampsters on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: HH Acadian Perique    Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:49 am

I recommend to ALL buy a 3.5 oz. tin for under $18.00 let it age for at least two yours and your palate and tongue will thank you. YES....it's that good cheers cheers cheers

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: HH Acadian Perique    Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:40 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Stick wrote:

Stick, more because of the Cav, plus the Oriental leaf and the dark fired. 5 different tobaccos altogether.

Yup, gotcha DB. I do like the sound of this one!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

HH Acadian Perique
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: