HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 What other flakes?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Navyflake

avatar

Age : 51
Location : Michigan
Registration date : 2017-06-01

PostSubject: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:14 am

So, I've come to the conclusion as of last summer that I don't care for aromatics. I am a dedicated flake smoker. My current go-to favorites are (not in any particular order mind you):

Peterson's Irish Flake
Peterson's University Flake
McLelland Navy Cavendish
MacBaren Navy Flake
Stonehaven

I've also tried and like P.S. Luxury Navy Flake, Orlik Golden sliced and Dunhill Navy Roll.

What other flakes without Latakia would you recommend that I try?

Thanks,
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Navyflake Online
Thistleoak

avatar

Age : 35
Location : Northwest Michigan
Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:29 am

You have listed all the flakes I have tried and liked, I LOVE PETERSON IRISH FLAKE!!!!! I will keep an eye out and I'm Sure some the other more seasoned members will have great suggestions so I will be following your thread as well as I'm interested in the answer to your question. Have you tried Mac Baren Latakia Flake? I havent yet but have an unoppened tin of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Stick

avatar

Age : 47
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:21 am

Frank, take a look at Sammy G's St James Flake.  It's a cracking VaPer.  Probably up there in my top 3.


Last edited by Stick on Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Navyflake

avatar

Age : 51
Location : Michigan
Registration date : 2017-06-01

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:29 am

Thistleoak wrote:
You have listed all the flakes I have tried and liked, I LOVE PETERSON IRISH FLAKE!!!!! I will keep an eye out and I'm Sure some the other more seasoned members will have great suggestions so I will be following your thread as well as I'm interested in the answer to your question. Have you tried Mac Baren Latakia Flake? I havent yet but have an unoppened tin of it.

I've tried and tried and tried Latakia. Just cannot do it. About the only blend that I am fond of that contains Latakia is Plumb Cake.

Maybe I've found my favorites? Probably.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Navyflake Online
Navyflake

avatar

Age : 51
Location : Michigan
Registration date : 2017-06-01

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:29 am

Stick wrote:
Frank, take a lot at Sammy G's St James Flake.  It's a cracking VaPer.  Probably up there in my top 3.

Will do, thank you for the suggestion. I just added it to my cart at Smoking Pipes.

Best regards,
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Navyflake Online
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:38 am

Recommended:
GH Brown Flake Unscented (make sure to order the unscented)
Dunhill Dark Flake
St Bruno

Suggested:
Capstan Original Navy (blue tin)
Players Navy Cut (if you can order from the UK in some fashion)
SG B.S./Brown Sugar Flake
SG Lakeland Dark (often more a broken flake)
Savinelli Brunello Flake
Dan Patriot Flake
McConnell Scottish Flake
SG Best Brown Flake
McClellend 2035 Dark Navy Flake
SG Sam's Flake (Orientals but no Latakia)

More than a touch of rum:
GH Rum Flake
C&D After Hours
Rotary Navy Cut (discernable rum)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Navyflake

avatar

Age : 51
Location : Michigan
Registration date : 2017-06-01

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:49 am

DrT999 wrote:
Recommended:
GH Brown Flake Unscented (make sure to order the unscented)
Dunhill Dark Flake
St Bruno

Suggested:
Capstan Original Navy (blue tin)
Players Navy Cut (if you can order from the UK in some fashion)
SG B.S./Brown Sugar Flake
SG Lakeland Dark (often more a broken flake)
Savinelli Brunello Flake
Dan Patriot Flake
McConnell Scottish Flake
SG Best Brown Flake
McClellend 2035 Dark Navy Flake
SG Sam's Flake (Orientals but no Latakia)

More than a touch of rum:
GH Rum Flake
C&D After Hours
Rotary Navy Cut (discernable rum)

Fantastic shopping list! The only one that I couldn't locate would be the Rotary Navy Cut. But, with your list, I can tell you that I will be busy for years!

Thank you all for the suggestions. Keep them coming please.

Best regards,
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Navyflake Online
fsu92john

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Orlando, FL
Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:55 am

Escudo
F&T Cut Blended Plug and Cut Virginia Plug
Aged Burley Flake
4th Generation 1931
1792 Flake
St. Bruno Flake
Condor Long Cut
Campaign Dark Flake
Astley's no. 44
McConnell Folded Flake and Scottish Flake
Sillem's Councillor 1695
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fazby

avatar

Age : 60
Location : Chicago area
Registration date : 2010-04-22

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:22 am

Gawith Full Va Flake
Dan Hamburger Veermaster
McClelland St James Woods
Solani Aged Burley Flake
Solani Silver Flake.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete



Age : 73
Location : Cape Town
Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:55 am

Stick wrote:
Frank, take a lot at Sammy G's St James Flake.  It's a cracking VaPer.  Probably up there in my top 3.

Yes!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

avatar

Location : The Seventh Planet From The Sun...Uranus
Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:18 am

I really enjoy Savinelli Brunello Flake , McC Dark Navy Flake, OGS from 2011 to present with a couple of years of aging it becomes a much darker Flake than my older aged tins. OGS use to always be a good smoke, now it's FABULOUS. Aother member who can chime in on this if he likes because after he's smoked OGS for MANY years he feels the same as I do. He said the other day " its soooooo good now I can almost cry "!
I also smoke often P S Luxury Bullseye Flake....black smoooooooth cavendish, Virginia and Perique....superb with a few years of aging.
Have fun, try'em all cheers cheers

I haven't smoked St. Bruno in years.

PS... how can I forget my two favorites....Solani ABF & Rattray's Marlin Flake. See what happens when you don't sleep well 5)


KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Northern, CA
Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:34 am

A few of my favorites have already been mentioned here, but here's a few that haven't.

Blackwoods Flake
Matured VA No.24
Renier Long Golden Flake
Old Dark Fired
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:47 am

Navyflake wrote:
DrT999 wrote:
Recommended:
GH Brown Flake Unscented (make sure to order the unscented)
Dunhill Dark Flake
St Bruno

Suggested:
Capstan Original Navy (blue tin)
Players Navy Cut (if you can order from the UK in some fashion)
SG B.S./Brown Sugar Flake
SG Lakeland Dark (often more a broken flake)
Savinelli Brunello Flake
Dan Patriot Flake
McConnell Scottish Flake
SG Best Brown Flake
McClellend 2035 Dark Navy Flake
SG Sam's Flake (Orientals but no Latakia)

More than a touch of rum:
GH Rum Flake
C&D After Hours
Rotary Navy Cut (discernable rum)

Fantastic shopping list! The only one that I couldn't locate would be the Rotary Navy Cut. But, with your list, I can tell you that I will be busy for years!

Thank you all for the suggestions. Keep them coming please.

Best regards,

It looks like neither Mars nor Smoking Pipes carry Rotary any more. Are they out of business, I wonder? And you found Player's in the US?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Navyflake

avatar

Age : 51
Location : Michigan
Registration date : 2017-06-01

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:38 pm

DrT999 wrote:
Navyflake wrote:
DrT999 wrote:
Recommended:
GH Brown Flake Unscented (make sure to order the unscented)
Dunhill Dark Flake
St Bruno

Suggested:
Capstan Original Navy (blue tin)
Players Navy Cut (if you can order from the UK in some fashion)
SG B.S./Brown Sugar Flake
SG Lakeland Dark (often more a broken flake)
Savinelli Brunello Flake
Dan Patriot Flake
McConnell Scottish Flake
SG Best Brown Flake
McClellend 2035 Dark Navy Flake
SG Sam's Flake (Orientals but no Latakia)

More than a touch of rum:
GH Rum Flake
C&D After Hours
Rotary Navy Cut (discernable rum)

Fantastic shopping list! The only one that I couldn't locate would be the Rotary Navy Cut. But, with your list, I can tell you that I will be busy for years!

Thank you all for the suggestions. Keep them coming please.

Best regards,

It looks like neither Mars nor Smoking Pipes carry Rotary any more.  Are they out of business, I wonder?  And you found Player's in the US?  

Actually, I missed that one. And no, I wasn't able to find it after doing a quick search. Sorry about that false report!

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Navyflake Online
Lonecoyote

avatar

Location : The Seventh Planet From The Sun...Uranus
Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:07 pm

Here's another excellent inexpensive Flake available in bulk and with 5 years plus of aging is an outstanding smoke....

Newminster #400 Superior Navy Flake, still cheap to purchase and with age it can be a daily smoke!!

WTF happened to Peterson University Flake in the past 2 years scratch scratch 5)



KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Navyflake

avatar

Age : 51
Location : Michigan
Registration date : 2017-06-01

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:10 pm

Lonecoyote wrote:
Here's another excellent inexpensive Flake available in bulk and with 5 years plus of aging is an outstanding smoke....

Newminster #400 Superior Navy Flake, still cheap to purchase and with age it can be a daily smoke!!

WTF happened to Peterson University Flake in the past 2 years scratch scratch 5)



KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I do have Newminster #400 Superior Navy Flake currently in my wishlist. As for University Flake, it's one of my all time favorites. Was there an earlier version/recipe that was far better? If so, I would certainly like to ge my hands on some of that! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Navyflake Online
Lonecoyote

avatar

Location : The Seventh Planet From The Sun...Uranus
Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:21 pm

Frank wrote:
I do have Newminster #400 Superior Navy Flake currently in my wishlist. As for University Flake, it's one of my all time favorites. Was there an earlier version/recipe that was far better? If so, I would certainly like to ge my hands on some of that

Something happened with the quality of University Flake, during 2015 I noticed. For me it does not smoke well now, no comparison to the release prior to 2015. I have a few old tins I'll pop one again soon. I'm still trying to get through the 2015 tin I opened last month!!



KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Moderator
avatar

Age : 69
Location : Oregon City
Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:31 pm

Lots of excellent suggestions here, boys. I could do a +1 on lots of ‘em but will just underscore one...Solani Silver Flake. This is not mentioned nearly enough around here. It was one of the first “real” blends I bought at the Peretti store in Boston, years ago. Truly epic.

Also, a suggestion. Seriously. You should take Stonehaven off your list. You’ll be happier if you do cause It’ll just make you crazy.

_________________
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator.
Founding BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Navyflake

avatar

Age : 51
Location : Michigan
Registration date : 2017-06-01

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:40 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Lots of excellent suggestions here, boys. I could do a +1 on lots of ‘em but will just underscore one...Solani Silver Flake. This is not mentioned nearly enough around here. It was one of the first “real” blends I bought at the Peretti store in Boston, years ago. Truly epic.

Also, a suggestion. Seriously. You should take Stonehaven off your list. You’ll be happier if you do cause It’ll just make you crazy.

Solani Silver Flake just added to my wishlist. I did buy an 8 oz. bag this summer, cracked it open and allow myself to savor a bowl once in a great while. It's vaulted in a nicely sealed jar. After it's gone, I'll miss it I'm sure.

Regards,
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Navyflake Online
ak2000

avatar

Location : NW Burbs Chicagoland
Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:57 pm

Navyflake wrote:
Blackhorse wrote:
Lots of excellent suggestions here, boys. I could do a +1 on lots of ‘em but will just underscore one...Solani Silver Flake. This is not mentioned nearly enough around here. It was one of the first “real” blends I bought at the Peretti store in Boston, years ago. Truly epic.

Also, a suggestion. Seriously. You should take Stonehaven off your list. You’ll be happier if you do cause It’ll just make you crazy.

Solani Silver Flake just added to my wishlist. I did buy an 8 oz. bag this summer, cracked it open and allow myself to savor a bowl once in a great while. It's vaulted in a nicely sealed jar. After it's gone, I'll miss it I'm sure.

Regards,

I find Solani's Aged Burley Flake to have a ton more flavor than their Silver Flake, which I found almost completely bland. However, I've only had it from a fresh tin, so maybe it needs some jar time?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.alphaprimecomm.com
DrumsAndBeer

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Northern, CA
Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:10 pm

Lonecoyote wrote:


Something happened with the quality of University Flake, during 2015 I noticed. For me it does not smoke well now, no comparison to the release prior to 2015. I have a few old tins I'll pop one again soon. I'm still trying to get through the 2015 tin I opened last month!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Something happened with Irish Flake too. It's noticeably weaker, which I don't mind because it's still flavorful. But a few years ago I had 2 50g tins of Irish Flake, the tins were the small rectangular ones. The tobacco from these tins of IF was nothing short of butt-kicking in strength. The current version is on par with Mac Baren's Old Dark Fired which to me is a very friendly kind of strong (a hair above medium in nic with strong flavor strength). This was why I was asking Ozark Wizard what the strength of the current version of the 3P's he was smoking was like, I was simply wondering if it had been toned down some as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WandererOfWeirdPaths

avatar

Age : 31
Location : Delaware
Registration date : 2015-01-26

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:14 pm

Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired (one of my favorites)
Mac Baren HH BOLD Kentucky (STRONG but yum!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

avatar

Location : The Seventh Planet From The Sun...Uranus
Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:23 pm

I'm a lover of ALL the McB's HH blends. Stock up within the next few months before they are gone forever Sad Sad



KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ak2000

avatar

Location : NW Burbs Chicagoland
Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:02 pm

Lonecoyote wrote:
I'm a lover of ALL the McB's HH blends. Stock up within the next few months before they are gone forever  Sad  Sad  



KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

What's going on with the HH blends? I know Vintage Syrian is discontinued for obvious reasons, but the rest?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.alphaprimecomm.com
Blackhorse
Moderator
avatar

Age : 69
Location : Oregon City
Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:24 pm

from ak2000: “I find Solani's Aged Burley Flake to have a ton more flavor than their Silver Flake, which I found almost completely bland. However, I've only had it from a fresh tin, so maybe it needs some jar time?”

OK...apples and oranges...

The 660 Silver: A blend of premium dark red and sweet Virginias from the "border belt", light yellow Virginia from South Carolina and dark-fired, spicy Kentucky. Notes: It is a natural blend with no additives or flavors.

Now 656 Aged Burley Flake: A skillful mixture of three aged burleys - dark brown burley from Kentucky, light burley from Brazil, and white burley from Malawi - Southeast Africa. A very natural blend with absolutely no additives or flavors - a true burley blend. Notes: Blender R.L. Will developed a unique toasting process to enhance the natural sweetness of this blend. No sugar has been added.

One being mostly VA and the other being Burley...yeah, they’re gonna be really different. Both are excellent representatives of their respective genres.


_________________
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator.
Founding BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
What other flakes?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: