HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

What other flakes?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Lonecoyote

Registration date : 2016-10-15

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:22 pm

ak2000 wrote:
What's going on with the HH blends? I know Vintage Syrian is discontinued for obvious reasons, but the rest?

For example: one of my favorites in the McB's HH series is the old Dark fired in the tin. It was first released in 2011. Falls way short of the FDA cut off date. Obviously on the chopping block.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ak2000

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:32 pm

Ok I see, that's assuming the legislation isn't changed. I thought I read somewhere recently that there was some successful push back for premium cigars.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.alphaprimecomm.com Online
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:40 pm

ak2000 wrote:
Ok I see, that's assuming the legislation isn't changed. I thought I read somewhere recently that there was some successful push back for premium cigars.

Correct, might be delayed a few months to as much as a couple of years. When it comes to government one never knows do one!!!
As for cigars I read an article also, that's what's been talked about. If cigars date was pushed ahead why not pipe tobacco's. Really what started this debacle is all the VAPING oils on the market and NOT knowing exactly what the ingredients are.
All I can say is stock up before the end of February 2018. From that date on can/will be enforced at any time, with a few months notice. Right now our President has enough on his plate  scratch  5)

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:51 pm

One tobacco I didn't see here, maybe I missed it, is Murray's 1921 Cunningham flake. It is a good VA/PER if you are into periques.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:58 pm

A staple I'm surprised I didn't see listed is PS Luxury Twist Flake. McC Blackwoods Flake is amazing and I see ODF has been suggested. Watch City Cigars has a couple of flake offerings that sound great but I haven't tried them yet. If you want powerful then you might try 1792 Flake. Other than those I can't think of many that haven't been suggested already.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:28 pm

Guess not many folks like OGS (Orlik Golden Sliced) from the dirth of recomendations!! And I concur with the Dunhil Flake as well as Erinmore Flake. JMHO  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ak2000

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:59 pm

I don't see Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky or Stokebye Luxury Twist Flake mentioned (unless I missed it), both are inexpensive and very tasty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.alphaprimecomm.com Online
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:41 pm

Thought I mentioned OGS prior scratch scratch scratch

One of my favorites which is like impossible to find I forgot too mention is Germain's Rich Dark Flake....really floats my boat cheers

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:03 pm

Lonecoyote wrote:
Thought I mentioned OGS prior scratch scratch scratch

One of my favorites which is like impossible to find I forgot too mention is Germain's Rich Dark Flake....really floats my boat cheers

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I almost mentioned the Germain Flakes, but 1) I can never get an actual flake out, just narrow strips, & 2) they are pretty difficult to come across Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:22 pm

DrT wrote:
I almost mentioned the Germain Flakes, but 1) I can never get an actual flake out, just narrow strips, & 2) they are pretty difficult to come acros

I was recently gifted a few quite large flakes that were shipped directly by a friend from Europe to a BoB member. It was in bulk and the same size Flake as Newminster #400. Was commonly available during the time period when I was living in Europe. It's simply an outstanding tobacco!!! Rich smooth dark chocolate notes and an extremely pleasant after taste. Smoked cool and slow cheers cheers

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:53 pm

I'm late to the party (as usual), but need to put in my plug for bulk McC 2015. While it's a broken flake it might just qualify, including and especially if you're a VaPer aficionado like myself. For me anyway, this is the standard to which all others are judged.  

Reasonably priced on many e-tailers, always in stock, and no worries of the dreaded regs curtailing the production.

Apart from that, there are many other suggestions here too numerous to list that are worthy of consideration.

cat

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:10 pm

Nothing wrong with getting into flake that's  broken up a bit. Okay then...now I will HIGHLY recommend McC's 40th Anniversary. It's an excellent smoke now but with a few years of aging I'm willing to bet it will be an outstanding smooth tasty smoke. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried a fresh tin recently. Best if rubbed out more, much more complexity. Yup, there is that ketchup smell. So many McC blends have that same smell, I'm wondering if it has anything to do with their anti fungal agent????  JUST TRY IT  cheers

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:30 pm

Lonecoyote wrote:
Nothing wrong with getting into flake that's  broken up a bit. Okay then...now I will HIGHLY recommend McC's 40th Anniversary. It's an excellent smoke now but with a few years of aging I'm willing to bet it will be an outstanding smooth tasty smoke. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried a fresh tin recently. Best if rubbed out more, much more complexity. Yup,  there is that ketchup smell. So many McC blends have that same smell, I'm wondering if it has anything to do with their anti fungal agent????  JUST TRY IT  cheers

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Yup. Glad you mentioned that Ted. I concur.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:03 pm

Lonecoyote wrote:
Nothing wrong with getting into flake that's  broken up a bit. Okay then...now I will HIGHLY recommend McC's 40th Anniversary. It's an excellent smoke now but with a few years of aging I'm willing to bet it will be an outstanding smooth tasty smoke. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried a fresh tin recently. Best if rubbed out more, much more complexity. Yup,  there is that ketchup smell. So many McC blends have that same smell, I'm wondering if it has anything to do with their anti fungal agent????  JUST TRY IT  cheers

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

It's the Ketchup man, we all know that !! It's the best anti-fungal made ! Ya never see fungus on a ketchup bottle do ya ? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:13 pm

monbla256 wrote:
It's the Ketchup man, we all know that !! It's the best anti-fungal made ! Ya never see fungus on a ketchup bottle do ya ?

Oh, I figured it was the anti fungal agent. However in some McC's I do and so do other pipe smokers sometimes pick up that slight hint of vinegar towards the end of the bowl.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:20 am

Lonecoyote wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
It's the Ketchup man, we all know that !! It's the best anti-fungal made ! Ya never see fungus on a ketchup bottle do ya ?

Oh, I figured it was the anti fungal agent. However in some McC's I do and so do other pipe smokers sometimes pick up that slight hint of vinegar towards the end of the bowl.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

If you haven't been, go to Durham, NC, when they are auctioning the Va harvest and you'll smell that "anti-fungal" aroma coming off many of the piles of red va. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil My fathers family raised Va tobacco for Reynolds Tobacco back in the '50s and I spent many summers up there on the their tobacco farm. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lonecoyote

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:47 am

monbla256

About 30 minutes from Durham and a Dr I see is right there. Next year I will definitely search for a tobacco farm. Thanks for the info.!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Navyflake

Registration date : 2017-06-01

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:01 pm

DrT999 wrote:
Recommended:
GH Brown Flake Unscented (make sure to order the unscented)
Dunhill Dark Flake
St Bruno

Suggested:
Capstan Original Navy (blue tin)
Players Navy Cut (if you can order from the UK in some fashion)
SG B.S./Brown Sugar Flake
SG Lakeland Dark (often more a broken flake)
Savinelli Brunello Flake
Dan Patriot Flake
McConnell Scottish Flake
SG Best Brown Flake
McClellend 2035 Dark Navy Flake
SG Sam's Flake (Orientals but no Latakia)

More than a touch of rum:
GH Rum Flake
C&D After Hours
Rotary Navy Cut (discernable rum)

Taking your suggestions, I received an ounce of McClellend 2035 Dark Navy Flake and a tin of GH Rum Flake this afternoon. The Dark Navy Flake is prepped and sitting in the bowl of one of my favorite pipes to try a little later after the rain subsides.

Looking forward to trying so many more of these great suggestions!

Regards,
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Navyflake Online
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:13 pm

Oh, that 2035 is some good stuff.... The Rum flake is no slouch either!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Navyflake

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:01 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Oh, that 2035 is some good stuff.... The Rum flake is no slouch either!

Agreed wholeheartedly. The 2035 is burning long and even tonight. Nice ash with only about 30 minutes of open air prep. Right from the bag, I'm very pleased with this sampling.

A keeper in the stable for me for sure..

Regards,

Last edited by Navyflake on Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
monbla256

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:06 pm

Lonecoyote wrote:
monbla256

About 30 minutes from Durham and a Dr I see is right there. Next year I will definitely search for a tobacco farm. Thanks for the info.!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Sadly the old tobacco barns in which tobacco was auctioned no longer serve that purpose. Many have been torn down and others have been "gentrified" for other purposes. Tobacco is no longer a part of the city's industry. Sad Sad There are still farms for sure, but my fathers family sold theirs 20 years ago. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Navyflake

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:01 pm

I've tried three bowls if GH Rum Flake now in three different pipes and still do not care for this flake.

Getting a bitter, almost soapy/perfume taste. All three pipes are trusted smokers that are well broken in and seasoned flake pipes.

This one goes into the "not again" column.

Anyone has a flake trade to offer, send me a PM. This is a fresh tin at 98 % full. I'll try something new.

Regards,
Back to top Go down
DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:06 pm

Sorry you didn't like it. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Navyflake

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:10 pm

DrT999 wrote:
Sorry you didn't like it. Sad

No apologies necessary my dear friend. That's part of this great adventure! I have all your suggestions in a shopping cart in cyberspace!

Thanks for your recommendations.
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: What other flakes?   Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:38 pm

I just got half a pound of Rum Flake, and found it rather nice, but it was pretty dried out. A shame you don't got on with it... Ah, well, plenty more to explore, eh?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

What other flakes?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: