HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Shiny Briar

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PiedPiper62

Registration date : 2017-10-02

PostSubject: Shiny Briar   Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:47 am

Hello. Can anyone with knowledge & experience recommend a wax, paste and/ or solution; along with a process for getting my smooth and rusticated pipes as shiny and as polished as possible? Thanks & Best, PiedPiper62
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Shiny Briar   Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:36 am

Go to Pipe Techniques and you will find the info you need
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Shiny Briar   Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:40 am

As polished as possible? You're going to have to get a buffer and wax, learn the technique, and become adept at buffing--not as simple as it looks. Even experts sometimes round off edges, soften nomenclature, maybe even have the pipe snag and go flying across the room. I just use Paragon wax on the rare occasions when I think a pipe ought to look more shiny. It's applied with just a rag, and works quite well. Beware waxing sandblasts and rusticated pipes--the stuff goes down into the crevices and looks horrible.

I don't know what Ron Powell (Cartaphilus on this forum) uses, but his pipes are the most blindingly shiny I've ever seen. I suspect he just knows how to do it; no magic, no secret ingredient.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Shiny Briar   Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:42 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
As polished as possible? You're going to have to get a buffer and wax, learn the technique, and become adept at buffing--not as simple as it looks. Even experts sometimes round off edges, soften nomenclature, maybe even have the pipe snag and go flying across the room. I just use Paragon wax on the rare occasions when I think a pipe ought to look more shiny. It's applied with just a rag, and works quite well. Beware waxing sandblasts and rusticated pipes--the stuff goes down into the crevices and looks horrible.

I don't know what Ron Powell (Cartaphilus on this forum) uses, but his pipes are the most blindingly shiny I've ever seen. I suspect he just knows how to do it; no magic, no secret ingredient.

This for sure. Myself, I've learned to enjoy the soft luster a well smoked pipe takes on as it's smoked. For me it's far more pleasing than that 'new" shiney look. JMHO Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Shiny Briar   Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:39 pm

I don't use a buffer, but I could. I use this stuff, an old toothbrush or natural bristled brush in the case of rustication (two: one to get it in the tiny spots and another to get it out of the tiny spots), and a 100% cotton rag. A very little goes a very long way. I think I've done 50 pipes and have only used 1/3 of the tiny 2oz tub? I believe they also sell on eBay, but please don't hold me to that.

https://www.finepipes.com/accessories/halcyon-ii-wax

and they also sell another type of wax, though I have not used it:

https://www.finepipes.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&keyword=wax&search_in_description=1&categories_id=&inc_subcat=1&pfrom=&pto=&dfrom=mm%2Fdd%2Fyyyy&dto=mm%2Fdd%2Fyyyy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Shiny Briar   Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:07 pm

Well, I'll tell you what NOT to use...

Decatur Pipe Shield No Buff Wax

It doesn't really do anything. As a matter of fact, it has dulled some of my pipes' finishes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Shiny Briar
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Ye Olde Pipe Rack-
Jump to: