HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

holiday decorations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: holiday decorations   Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:58 pm

I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but really, I'm not.

In particular, contemporary yard decorations are so incredibly ugly and tacky. I don't mean the LED lights. I mean the blowup dolls. The flaking, glittered figurines made out of wire and plastic mesh. All the garbage made in China sold at all the cheap department stores (Walmart, Menards, Lowes, etc) that make everyone's yard look like plastic trash. The projectors showing scenes on garage doors. The inconsiderate music players that play one or two songs on repeat 24/7 so loud that I can't believe neighbors aren't complaining. I can't imagine sleeping next to "Jingle Bells" playing all night long. I find the modern interpretation of "bigger is better" and "the busier the better" is simply gaudy.

I cannot believe how ugly blowup dolls are. "Yeah, buddy. You're super cool. You bought mass-produced things at Walmart. You're very unique. Having 15 in your yard instead of 2 really makes you special."

To end on a positive note, I do think the little LED globes that you stick in the ground in your front yard that light up the entire yard are very smart. Economically smart. Physically efficient. 60ft of glitz and movement is covered in a single mechanism. One small box collecting dust in the basement rather than having to house a shed of junk 11 months a year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

Registration date : 2012-08-14

PostSubject: Re: holiday decorations   Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:44 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but really, I'm not.

In particular, contemporary yard decorations are so incredibly ugly and tacky.  I don't mean the LED lights.  I mean the blowup dolls.  The flaking, glittered figurines made out of wire and plastic mesh.  All the garbage made in China sold at all the cheap department stores (Walmart, Menards, Lowes, etc) that make everyone's yard look like plastic trash.  The projectors showing scenes on garage doors.  The inconsiderate music players that play one or two songs on repeat 24/7 so loud that I can't believe neighbors aren't complaining.  I can't imagine sleeping next to "Jingle Bells" playing all night long.  I find the modern interpretation of "bigger is better" and "the busier the better" is simply gaudy.

I cannot believe how ugly blowup dolls are.  "Yeah, buddy.  You're super cool.  You bought mass-produced things at Walmart.  You're very unique.   Having 15 in your yard instead of 2 really makes you special."

To end on a positive note, I do think the little LED globes that you stick in the ground in your front yard that light up the entire yard are very smart.  Economically smart.  Physically efficient.  60ft of glitz and movement is covered in a single mechanism.  One small box collecting dust in the basement rather than having to house a shed of junk 11 months a year.

I know what you are referring to about blow up dolls, but I can't help but have a hysterical picture painted in my head I almost PISSED my pants laughing and every time I would go to tell my wife I started laughing harder... Thank you zeno I needed that. I totally agree with you by the way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: holiday decorations   Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:59 pm

Nope, I'm not a fan of leaving blow up dolls in the yard, at any time of the year. Martha (my blow up doll) has her own special place in my wardrobe. My neighbours prefer it that way. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

PostSubject: Re: holiday decorations   Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:00 pm

Stick wrote:
Nope,  I'm not a fan of leaving blow up dolls in the yard, at any time of the year. Martha (my blow up doll) has her own special place in my wardrobe. My neighbours prefer it that way. Wink

And Stick wins best comment of the year!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: holiday decorations   Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:51 pm

I don't like too many outside decorations either, especially those blow up snowmen and Santas.  Ya just have to take it all down and put it away after the holidays!

I put up a string of lights on the gutter in front, two wreaths each on the two entry lamps on each side of the garage, and green lightbulbs.  Then we have a big wreath
on the house.  That is it. I did this all just before Thanksgiving so, according to my wife, every thing would look Christmasy when the family arrives.

My wife, on the other hand goes all out for the holidays inside the house.  This year I had to go out in the woods and cut down a live tree!  She picked it out. It's actually a very nice and well shaped tree.  The tree in the family room is a fake tree as are the two on the landing between the stairs.  One of them is white!  I hate it.  Trees all have ornaments and lights also.
Then there are all sorts of chit around the house with Christmas theme, blankets, dolls, cups, candles, just to name a few things.  I'll be laughing when it comes time to put all this chit away and she has to do it all because I refuse to help!! Twisted Evil
Anyway, it's all in fun and good spirit during the holidays. Speaking of spirit, I think I'll pour an extra tall bourbon for me right now!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: holiday decorations   Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:00 pm

I like the two bigger sizes of bulbs. #9 & #7 I think. Cathy doesn't. She likes the little tiny white lights. Oh, and purple bulbs work fine. She dislikes them. Yard and house decorations. I like simple. Wreaths and maybe garland. She likes the moving deer and stuff. Can you tell we grew up in two different generations?

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: holiday decorations   Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:24 pm

Stick wrote:
Nope,  I'm not a fan of leaving blow up dolls in the yard, at any time of the year. Martha (my blow up doll) has her own special place in my wardrobe. My neighbours prefer it that way. Wink

Cheeky monkey! monkey

Ya, some of the neighbours seem to be in some kind of competition to see who can out-do the other with holiday decorations. Their electric bill must double as a result of all the lights and animated displays.

As for me, I practice the KIFS system. Wink

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: holiday decorations   Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:51 pm

I find it interesting how a Northern European "Pagan" winter solstice festival was so readily assimilated to facilitate a faith incursion from the Middle East.
I also find it interesting that an economic system could utilize such archaic belief systems to facilitate a surge in monetary flow.

The decorations? I guess if you can afford it, flaunt it, eh?

My Artificial Rhonda ended up with a pinhole in her and couldn't hold air after ten days. Warranty wouldn't cover her because she was 'used'......

Every once in a while I load her up with 'Fix-a-flat' and pump for all I'm worth.. I try to keep rotating her so the hole gets sealed at some point.....

I like bigger bulbs. Just my preference.

I used to string along the gutters, but one time I caught an unpronounceable disease doing so. I don't do that any more. Not without protection any way!

Ho ho ho? Not at my age.... Maybe two, but three is past my limit.

I like my trees outside. I have been known to decorate them at times, but no lights.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

PostSubject: Re: holiday decorations   Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:54 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
I find it interesting how a Northern European "Pagan" winter solstice festival was so readily assimilated to facilitate a faith incursion from the Middle East.
I also find it interesting that an economic system could utilize such archaic belief systems to facilitate a surge in monetary flow.

The decorations? I guess if you can afford it, flaunt it, eh?

My Artificial Rhonda ended up with a pinhole in her and couldn't hold air after ten days. Warranty wouldn't cover her because she was 'used'......

Every once in a while I load her up with 'Fix-a-flat' and pump for all I'm worth.. I try to keep rotating her so the hole gets sealed at some point.....

I like bigger bulbs. Just my preference.

I used to string along the gutters, but one time I caught an unpronounceable disease doing so. I don't do that any more. Not without protection any way!

Ho ho ho? Not at my age.... Maybe two, but three is past my limit.

I like my trees outside. I have been known to decorate them at times, but no lights.      

Another damn flannel burned... another steam engine impersonation by yours truly .... the fix a flat was the smoking gun
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

PostSubject: Re: holiday decorations   Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:55 pm

And Ozark... be a chap and clean out your inbox
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: holiday decorations   Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:03 pm

Thistleoak wrote:

Sweetie, if you didn't keep filling my 'in box' I wouldn't need to rinse it out so often. Is it starting to smell? Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: holiday decorations   Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:04 pm

How's that flannel now? MUHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thistleoak

PostSubject: Re: holiday decorations   Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:04 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Thistleoak wrote:

Sweetie, if you didn't keep filling my 'in box' I wouldn't need to rinse it out so often. Is it starting to smell? Razz

I accept that burn..... I earned it
Back to top Go down
View user profile

holiday decorations
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1