HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Pipe racks

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Pipe racks   Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:24 pm

I'm thinking of building my own pipe rack.  This one pictured is the one that Savinelli
has.  SmokingPipes.com sells it, but I think I can build one for a lot less money.  I'm not sure if I should build it out of MDF and paint it white to match the trim in my room, or maybe pine with a nice stain, or cedar. What do you think? Any advice?

https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe%20accessories/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=260352
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Pipe racks   Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:43 pm

$140.00 on sale? (smirk)

I took a 1x3 piece of oak, drilled 3/4 inch holes about 2 1/2 inches on centre and eased the edges. It rests on a set of those slotted rails you put the shelf holders in. I can put pipes between the wall and the shelf, and in the holes. Total cost about 7 bucks. Works great..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Pipe racks   Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:46 am

If you're even halfways handy, a pipe rack is a great quick project to DIY. I've built several for myself over the years.

For those with 2 left thumbs, I recommend scanning the thrift shops - I've picked up about 6 pipe racks of various sizes for less than $5 each this way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Pipe racks   Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:29 am

I would advise caution in using paint. Over time the rubbing of the pipes over the paint can cause transfer. Paint is a real pain in the butt to get off your pipes without damaging the finish. If you really want a white rack you might look into MDF that is covered in melamine. Not sure how you'd make the recess for the pipe bowls though. I suppose white paint would be ok if you use a clear coat over it. Make darned sure the paint is dry before trying to clear coat over it.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Pipe racks   Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:23 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
I would advise caution in using paint. Over time the rubbing of the pipes over the paint can cause transfer. Paint is a real pain in the butt to get off your pipes without damaging the finish. If you really want a white rack you might look into MDF that is covered in melamine. Not sure how you'd make the recess for the pipe bowls though. I suppose white paint would be ok if you use a clear coat over it. Make darned sure the paint is dry before trying to clear coat over it.

Jim

Good point, Jim. Right now it's too darn cold in the garage to work out there, even with the propane heater going.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slowroll

Registration date : 2017-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Pipe racks   Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:21 pm

Here's one I just built pretty quickly with no particular precision work, just lots of drilling 
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Pipe racks   Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:36 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
$140.00 on sale? (smirk)
I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but Smoking Pipes, to me, is the rich man's store where you only buy when it goes on a big sale. Some of the prices are nuts. Like the coopersark of ebay.

Soft wood, a pencil, a coping saw, some glue, some sandpaper, and some stain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Pipe racks
Page 1 of 1