HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

I went antique shopping today and came away with this...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

I went antique shopping today and came away with this... Empty
PostSubject: I went antique shopping today and came away with this...   I went antique shopping today and came away with this... EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 8:28 pm

I found an Edgeworth Ready-Rubbed tin! It was in very good shape. The best part was it was never opened! The little key was still on the bottom of the can! The tax stamp shows part of a date of y-26-1926! I am assuming it is either January, February, or July. Anyway this is cool, but I don't know if I should just display the can or should I open it up and test the tobacco. What do you all think?

I went antique shopping today and came away with this... Edgewo10

I went antique shopping today and came away with this... Edgewo11

Sorry about the picture clarity. You know I have a crappy digital camera.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: I went antique shopping today and came away with this...   I went antique shopping today and came away with this... EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 8:31 pm

That's a great score! I'd probably just leave it sealed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: I went antique shopping today and came away with this...   I went antique shopping today and came away with this... EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 8:43 pm

Jeepers Con, looks like you scored big time!

Have you shaken it yet and tried to determine how the contents sounded? If totally dried out it should probably sound like gravel. If softer it may hold promise. But there's a fine line between the one and the other sometimes.

If it sounds promising I'd open it and smoke it. Even if it didn't I'd do the same and see if was worthy of re-hydration. Sometimes those old tins can be surprisingly good. Keep us posted, and include pics.

Cheers,

RR

I went antique shopping today and came away with this... Purple11x 2I went antique shopping today and came away with this... Bombx10  I went antique shopping today and came away with this... Bombx5I went antique shopping today and came away with this... D6bddf10 I went antique shopping today and came away with this... 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: I went antique shopping today and came away with this...   I went antique shopping today and came away with this... EmptyFri Jan 05, 2018 11:13 pm

Unless you see rust on the tin it should still be sealed and well worth smoking. Much of my tobacco cellar is made up of drugstore tins that range from the 1920’s upto the late 80’s. Some of the early ones I opened up so that I could jar them before the tin became compromised due to rust. You’ll find that burley blends of that age do have a deeper flavor than modern blends. The lack of sugars prevents fermentation but they do still age and in my opinion they age very very well. Enjoy it in rude good health brother!

Jim

Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: I went antique shopping today and came away with this...   I went antique shopping today and came away with this... EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 12:53 am

Corncobcon wrote:
I found an Edgeworth Ready-Rubbed tin!   It was in very good shape.  The best part was it was never opened!  The little key was still on the bottom of the can!  The tax stamp shows part of a date of  y-26-1926!  I am assuming it is either January, February, or July.  Anyway this is cool, but I don't know if I should just display the can or should I open it up and test the tobacco.  What do you all think?

You should be able to research that tax stamp. The date on the stamp is the date is probably the date of the tax act. If it were me and the tin is not a must have I'd see how much upside there is in it. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: I went antique shopping today and came away with this...   I went antique shopping today and came away with this... EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 10:49 am

You must do as your conscience directs, but as for me, there's no way I'd be able to resist opening that puppy up and smoking some of the contents. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: I went antique shopping today and came away with this...   I went antique shopping today and came away with this... EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 1:04 pm

Err. . . . do you know if you happen to like Edgeworth? (or similar blends?) If you do, I'd certainly encourage you to open it. If you aren't sure, I'd try one of the matches or something similar before opening it to at least have a general idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Fazby

Fazby

Registration date : 2010-04-22

PostSubject: Re: I went antique shopping today and came away with this...   I went antique shopping today and came away with this... EmptySat Jan 06, 2018 3:10 pm

If you open it, do so carefully. The tin may have value.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

PostSubject: Re: I went antique shopping today and came away with this...   I went antique shopping today and came away with this... EmptySun Jan 07, 2018 12:59 pm

DrT999 wrote:
Err. . . . do you know if you happen to like Edgeworth? (or similar blends?) If you do, I'd certainly encourage you to open it.  If you aren't sure, I'd try one of the matches or something similar before opening it to at least have a general idea.

That's a good point. I have tried Lane's Ready Rubbed which is supposed to be similar
or the same as the old Edgeworth. I have smoked Lane's and it's ok. So, I probably would not bother opening the old can. I'll just keep it on display.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

PostSubject: Re: I went antique shopping today and came away with this...   I went antique shopping today and came away with this... EmptySun Jan 07, 2018 1:02 pm

Fazby wrote:
If you open it, do so carefully. The tin may have value.

That's the other thing I was thinking about. This might be more valuable as is, in the unopened state as opposed to an open can. I paid only $15.00 for it, so, maybe some day I could double my money! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: I went antique shopping today and came away with this...   I went antique shopping today and came away with this... EmptySun Jan 07, 2018 2:06 pm

Double? I would think so....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: I went antique shopping today and came away with this...   I went antique shopping today and came away with this... EmptySun Jan 07, 2018 2:38 pm

Con, if you're seriously thinking about selling it you might consider giving Steve Fallon (pipestud) a shout and see what he thinks it's worth.

Cheers,

RR

I went antique shopping today and came away with this... Purple11x 2I went antique shopping today and came away with this... Bombx10  I went antique shopping today and came away with this... Bombx5I went antique shopping today and came away with this... D6bddf10 I went antique shopping today and came away with this... 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
arkansaspiper

arkansaspiper

Registration date : 2016-01-22

PostSubject: Re: I went antique shopping today and came away with this...   I went antique shopping today and came away with this... EmptySun Jan 07, 2018 2:38 pm

they say lane limited ready rubbed is the same blend as tge last made edge worth blend
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: I went antique shopping today and came away with this...   I went antique shopping today and came away with this... EmptySun Jan 07, 2018 2:57 pm

Stalin's favorite. I'd smoke it, but that's me. Just curious: how do you open that can? I mean by the original intent of the manufacturer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

PostSubject: Re: I went antique shopping today and came away with this...   I went antique shopping today and came away with this... EmptySun Jan 07, 2018 6:37 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
Stalin's favorite. I'd smoke it, but that's me. Just curious: how do you open that can? I mean by the original intent of the manufacturer.

It has a "key" on the bottom of the can. It has a slot in it and you insert the slot through a tab attached to the can. Then roll the tab around the can opening the top. I don't know if that is a good enough explanation, but it's kind of like opening the old sardine cans. Does that help any?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: I went antique shopping today and came away with this...   I went antique shopping today and came away with this... EmptySun Jan 07, 2018 7:27 pm

arkansaspiper wrote:
they say lane limited ready rubbed  is the same blend as tge last made edge worth blend

Only that this was made 92 years ago. Might be different. scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: I went antique shopping today and came away with this...   I went antique shopping today and came away with this... EmptySun Jan 07, 2018 7:34 pm

Corncobcon wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:

It has a "key" on the bottom of the can.  It has a slot in it and you insert the slot through a tab attached to the can.  Then roll the tab around the can opening the top. I don't know if that is a good enough explanation, but it's kind of like opening the old sardine cans. Does that help any?

You betcha'. That's the way coffee used to be. And other stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
arkansaspiper

arkansaspiper

Registration date : 2016-01-22

PostSubject: Re: I went antique shopping today and came away with this...   I went antique shopping today and came away with this... EmptySun Jan 07, 2018 7:51 pm

ozzy its a blend match....OBVIIOUSLY its going to be different... its been aged for 92 YEARS!!!!!! but lane ready rub is a blend match.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: I went antique shopping today and came away with this...   I went antique shopping today and came away with this... EmptyThu Jan 11, 2018 1:57 am

I betcha you could get $100 for it. What’s your fave tobak? How much of it could you get for $100? That’s how I’d decide. Great find! Lucky you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

PostSubject: Re: I went antique shopping today and came away with this...   I went antique shopping today and came away with this... EmptyThu Jan 11, 2018 11:24 am

KevinM wrote:
I betcha you could get $100 for it. What’s your fave tobak? How much of it could you get for $100? That’s how I’d decide. Great find! Lucky you.

I guess I could sell it for a good profit, but I think I'll just hang on to the can and admire it in my curio cabinet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: I went antique shopping today and came away with this...   I went antique shopping today and came away with this... EmptyThu Jan 11, 2018 8:32 pm

Corncobcon wrote:
KevinM wrote:

I guess I could sell it for a good profit, but I think I'll just hang on to the can and admire it in my curio cabinet.

Like having cash in the curio.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

I went antique shopping today and came away with this...
Page 1 of 1