HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

GERMAIN

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

GERMAIN - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   GERMAIN - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 14, 2018 8:24 pm

Zach just needs to find out for himself, like anyone would. Ya we joke about the unobtainium and their merits. Today its Germain, a while ago it was FVF. Oh, and 5100!

The holy grail search is never ending. And tastes change. Chase a rainbow, lasso a unicorn. It's all good......

Oh, and in the meantime here's a pic of a bunny with a pancake on its head-

GERMAIN - Page 2 Tumblr_inline_njnbj0vZsk1t2xtvj

jocolor

Cheers,

RR

GERMAIN - Page 2 Purple11x 2GERMAIN - Page 2 Bombx10  GERMAIN - Page 2 Bombx5GERMAIN - Page 2 D6bddf10 GERMAIN - Page 2 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

Registration date : 2012-02-23

GERMAIN - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   GERMAIN - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 14, 2018 8:41 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Zach just needs to find out for himself, like anyone would. Ya we joke about the unobtainium and their merits. Today its Germain, a while ago it was FVF. Oh, and 5100!

The holy grail search is never ending. And tastes change. Chase a rainbow, lasso a unicorn. It's all good......

Oh, and in the meantime here's a pic of a bunny with a pancake on its head-

GERMAIN - Page 2 Tumblr_inline_njnbj0vZsk1t2xtvj

jocolor

Cheers,

RR

Wouldn’t the technical term be FLAP-JACKRABBIT?!????? cheers

I very much agree Rande! Someday, years from now, I’ll either dust off this thread with high praises or disgust. That also will depend on the day for me. My tastes change daily!

Zach

(Didn’t that little fella work at I-Hop?)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

GERMAIN - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   GERMAIN - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 14, 2018 9:59 pm

Wouldn’t the technical term be FLAP-JACKRABBIT?!????? cheers
(Didn’t that little fella work at I-Hop?)[/quote]

lol! lol! lol!

I just spit coffee all over my keyboard!

Hey, didn't the one-legged waitress get a job at I-Hop? Rolling Eyes Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

GERMAIN - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   GERMAIN - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 14, 2018 10:05 pm

5)

This poor flannel....... Sunday go to meeting flannel, 'cause it's holy......

You guys crack me up! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

GERMAIN - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   GERMAIN - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 14, 2018 10:17 pm

There’s nothing furry about a short sta- I mean FUNNY, about a short stack
By the way, I would send those pancakes back... it looks like there’s a HARE in them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing

Admins, I would like my name changed to “The Pun King” please...afro
So Esoterica...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

GERMAIN - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   GERMAIN - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 15, 2018 5:39 am

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Well to each his own and this kind of stuff is all very subjective.

For what it’s worth, I think Dunbar and Dorchester are two of the finest VaPers on the market, Tilbury is a well nuanced, rich tasting VaBur and Margate is an exceptional English mixture and probably one of my top 5 favorites.

Stonehaven and Penzance? Both are good in my books but Germain makes at least 7 blends that I prefer.

Oh, I agree 100% !

That's why I only mentioned Penzance and Stonehaven.  The "holy grail" of tobacco  Laughing

I was offered a crazy price for the 300g of Penzance which I still have but, I can't do that to a brother.

I've got some Peacehaven as well. Although it's tasty and flavourful, it was a bit mild for my taste. So I added a wee bit of granulated perique and let it sit for a year. It turned out an excellent blend and I smoke it very sparingly
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

GERMAIN - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   GERMAIN - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 8:58 pm

I did it!!! (Kinda)...
My wife and I had the day off, (it’s her birthday!) and we went outta town for the day! She was sweet enough to let me go to two tobacconists that I found online. The first one was a dud. Mainly a RYO shop with a bunch of glass pipes. Some bulk tobacco, but nothing I really cared to try. The second one was a news stand I’ve been to before and scored a couple Dunhill tins. It’s a pretty cool store; they have tons of magazines, shaving stuff, and a couple of pipes! So I walked back to where they hide the tobacco, grabbed a tin of Dunhill Royal Yacht Mixture, went back up front and asked, “Where’s all your Esoterica?!?” He talked about how hard it is to get, then must have remembered he had some, and ran back to his bulks, pulled out a super dusty jar from way in the back and dumped it all into a plastic bag. It sounded like bits of paper, so I knew it was real dry. The. He weighed the bag handed it to me, and said, “12 bucks. This is 4.5 Ounces of Ramsgate.” I figured if it’s that hard to find, I mind as well grab it when I can find it! IT IS DRY! Like... dusty dry...
So as I’m walking back up to pay for it all, he calls me over to the side, and pulls out a tin of Penzance! It was opened and he wanted to show it to me. It was his personal tin. It looked like there wasn’t anything taken out of it ever, so he folded back the paper, pulls out an 1/8 of a Flake to hand to me, and tells me to keep it! lol! !!!! Two Esotericas in one day!!!!!!

GERMAIN - Page 2 Image14

I’m gonna be jarring the Ramsgate as soon as my jars are dry. Any quick tips on how to bring it back to life quickly? And I will be smoking the Penzance when I dig up a small enough pipe! lol!

Zach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarBeagle

BriarBeagle

Registration date : 2016-11-08

GERMAIN - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   GERMAIN - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 9:07 pm

If you want to PM me your address, I'd be happy to share some samples with you of what I have. Always a pleasure to help a brother out.

BB
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Navyflake

Navyflake

Registration date : 2017-06-01

GERMAIN - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   GERMAIN - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 9:26 pm

Cannot speak to Germain's personally. But, Esoterica is all about timing. I was lucky enough to score an 8 oz. bag of Stonehaven awhile back and I'm rationing that for myself to about a bowl a month.

Best of luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Navyflake
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

GERMAIN - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   GERMAIN - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 9:30 pm

Thanks Briar Beagle!!! I really appreciate it!

I’m smoking the little bit of Penzance now... in my Dr. Grabow Lark that was a gift from Kyle when I first started on this forum! I miss that guy!

GERMAIN - Page 2 Ef0f1d10

In my smallest pipe, it was about half a bowl! It was a little dry so after loading I blew into the pipe once or twice. Got it lit, and MAN! THAT’SA ENGLISH! Incredible! My wife looked over at my face and asked if I liked it! I nodded, and told her how awesome of an English it was! I asked her how it smells and she just said, “It STINKS!”.
It’s like a much better Pirate Cake!
I’m officially a Penzance smoker.

Zach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

GERMAIN - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   GERMAIN - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 9:32 pm

Oh, sounds like an awesome score Navy Flake! I wish they’d get on production! But... I suppose smaller batches=higher quality... maybe?

Zach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

GERMAIN - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   GERMAIN - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 9:45 pm

He shoots..... he scores.....he wins......the crowd goes nutz........

bounce

Great news Zach!

As far as the Ramsgate, do this-

Put it all into a bowl, like a salad bowl. Distribute it all equally. Then, get a white washcloth (must be white, no coloring) and get it wet. Wring out all excess moisture until it no longer drips.

Then, put it on over the sides of the bowl making sure it doesn't touch the 'baccy. Check on it every 4 or 5 hrs or so, feeling the 'baccy. You'll get a sense when it has enough hydration.

You may have to sir up the 'baccy a bit and repeat this until it's to your preferred liking. If it has to go overnight put some cling film over it and check in the morning.

I've done this with very successful results, although some of the aromatic components may have been lost. Still, it's better than resigning it to the compost pile!

Wink

Cheers,

RR

GERMAIN - Page 2 Purple11x 2GERMAIN - Page 2 Bombx10  GERMAIN - Page 2 Bombx5GERMAIN - Page 2 D6bddf10 GERMAIN - Page 2 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

GERMAIN - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   GERMAIN - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 10:34 pm

Zach, one other word of advice, don’t attempt to rehydrate more than 2 ounces at a time. Moisturization will become very uneven. I recommend doing it in 1 ounce increments.

Brewdude’s method will work fine. However,  I like to use a disposable Zip Lock container with a paper towel slightly dampened with distilled water (be sure it’s completely wringed out), draped over top of the container. The zip lock container lid will allow you to simultaneously seal the container closed and pin the towel to the top of the inside of the lid preventing contact with the tobacco.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

GERMAIN - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   GERMAIN - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 12:48 am

Oh man! You guys might have saved my life! I was just going to put it in a jar, and spritz a little water on it, maybe shake it up! I haven’t had to rehydrate tobacco in YEARS! I smoke it all now before it dries out.
Embarassed Phew!!!!

Zach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

GERMAIN - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   GERMAIN - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 2:31 am

Glad you didn’t get ahead of yourself Zach! Going the slow route is probably the safest way to go. Germaine stuff being so hard to come by it’s really not worth the gamble. Just spritzing the tobacco while it would work it exposes you to too many ways to really screw it up. So PLEASE I beg you don’t even go there.

Enjoy it in rude good health
Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

GERMAIN - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   GERMAIN - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 1:53 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
Glad you didn’t get ahead of yourself Zach! Going the slow route is probably the safest way to go. Germaine stuff being so hard to come by it’s really not worth the gamble. Just spritzing the tobacco while it would work it exposes you to too many ways to really screw it up. So PLEASE I beg you don’t even go there.

Enjoy it in rude good health
Jim

Don’t you worry, I’ve already got plans to pick up the necessary materials to do it right! Close call there!
Zach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

GERMAIN - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   GERMAIN - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 8:52 pm

Zach

I just did this rehydration technique on a couple tins from a trade that were pretty dried out, and they came out at just the right moisture level. One was '12 Erinmore Flake and the other Peterson IF.

I'll be firing them up soon and will report back if there's any noticeable loss of flavor nuances or such. Yet the jar aroma seems just fine.

Took me 2 days on each of them, as I went slowly and cautiously. Had to re-wet the cloth several times during the day, and then finally sealed it all up in Gladwrap overnight.

I used tap water, which here is pretty soft. If there's any chlorine in it I can't notice it. And while using distilled water is preferable in most instances I've done this many times with no problems of any kind, including and especially mold.

D&B's method sounds like it would work equally as well. The only thing I would add is to check on it regularly to make sure the 'baccy isn't too moist. Just a pinch between the fingers should tell you that. You'll know what moisture content is right for you.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

GERMAIN - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   GERMAIN - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 9:00 pm

Rande’s method sounds spot on.

I only mentioned the Zip Lock container because my wife would probably flip if I used anything from the kitchen or linen closet for tobacco purposes. So yeah, I tread lightly.. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

GERMAIN - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   GERMAIN - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 19, 2018 4:28 am

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Rande’s method sounds spot on.

I only mentioned the Zip Lock container because my wife would probably flip if I used anything from the kitchen or linen closet for tobacco purposes. So yeah, I tread lightly.. Razz

lol! cheers lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

GERMAIN - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   GERMAIN - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 19, 2018 8:11 am

And don't forget that the cloth you use must not smell of perfume from fabric softener or dryer sheets. If it does - run it under hot water, wring out, and dry. Do this as many times as it takes so that it smells 100% neutral before using it for rehydration.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

GERMAIN - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   GERMAIN - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 20, 2018 11:43 pm

Wow guys, thanks for the tips! I kinda mixed both of your instructions!
So here’s to hoping I’ll have a delicious tobacco to smoke tomorrow!!

So I’m back from my trip,
I scored again!

GERMAIN - Page 2 Image15

This is what I got! 8oz of Blackpool. The shop also had 8oz of Ramsgate, but I figured since I already had 4.5oz of dry dry stuff, (which I’m assuming will be more once it’s hydrated), I should grab something else. Plus I read Mr. JimInks And Mr. DrumsAndBeer’s reviews online. It’s not what I was hoping to score but at least I got something else to try. Now, will it keep in this bag for a while or should I just Jar it now? I don’t plan to smoke any real soon.
Thanks for the help Gentlemen!
Zach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SpeedyPete

GERMAIN - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   GERMAIN - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 21, 2018 8:42 am

GuitarMyFriend wrote:
Wow guys, thanks for the tips! I kinda mixed both of your instructions!
So here’s to hoping I’ll have a delicious tobacco to smoke tomorrow!!

So I’m back from my trip,
I scored again!

GERMAIN - Page 2 Image15

This is what I got! 8oz of Blackpool. The shop also had 8oz of Ramsgate, but I figured since I already had 4.5oz of dry dry stuff, (which I’m assuming will be more once it’s hydrated), I should grab something else. Plus I read Mr. JimInks And Mr. DrumsAndBeer’s reviews online. It’s not what I was hoping to score but at least I got something else to try. Now, will it keep in this bag for a while or should I just Jar it now? I don’t plan to smoke any real soon.
Thanks for the help Gentlemen!
Zach

You should either jar it or keep the pouch in a large jar.

Why buy tobacco if you're not going to smoke it in the very near future? Open the pouch, remove enough to smoke now and jar the rest. Tobacco in jars are much safer than what is sitting in a pouch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

GERMAIN - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   GERMAIN - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 21, 2018 9:25 am

Either jar it in smaller jars so you only have a few ounces open at a time or just jam the whole bag into a jar for now. The bags can NOT be trusted to be sealed. The tiniest pinhole and you could easily end up rehydrating that whole pouch too. Just not worth the risk. Especially as some tobaccos seem to really lose a certain something when they dry out like that and rehydration just doesn't bring it back.

Jim

Oh and some do just fine when rehydrated but do you really want to spend that kind of money to find out if this is one of those tobaccos?????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

GERMAIN - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   GERMAIN - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 21, 2018 10:15 am

SpeedyPete wrote:

Why buy tobacco if you're not going to smoke it in the very near future?  Open the pouch, remove enough to smoke now and jar the rest.  Tobacco in jars are much safer than what is sitting in a pouch.

Only because I have enough opened right now that I would like to finish before I open something else up, I’m not sure if it’s just me, but having too much open at a time gives me Anxiety. I don’t jar my tins like some of you guys do. I just have some stuff open, and I smoke on that. Plus, having to drive 4 hours away just to find it is the reason I grab it when I see it. Even if I’m not going to smoke it in the near future, that makes holding onto it for a little bit easier. (For me). Once I jar it (that seems to be the general concensus so far), I will definately take a bowl out to give it a try.

And Jim, oh no I don’t want to find out. That’s why I asked if I oughtta jar it or not, assuming some of you Beothers have purchased those 8oz. pouches before and had experience with them, as I do not!

Thanks Fellas!

Zach

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

GERMAIN - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: GERMAIN   GERMAIN - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 25, 2018 10:35 pm

So today I received package today from Mr. BriarBeagle. He was kind enough to send me some Esoterica Tasters! I got;
Peacehaven
And So To Bed
Stonehaven
Dunbar
And Tillbury! Once I got home I had an AWESOME bowl of Peacehaven! Quite the mild smoke, but just delicious all the same!
Now I’m onto And So To Bed. This is a bit of a different smoke, not bad, but... different! I’m only a little ways into it, but I do like it? Maybe if it were without the fruity topping? Luckily, Mr. BriarBeagle was kind enough to give me two to three smoke samples, so I’ll be able to sort them out further!

I really appreciate the Samples BriarBeagle!!!
Can’t wait till tomorrow to go through one or two more!

Zach
Back to top Go down
View user profile

GERMAIN
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: