HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

My first pipe rack (just a mock-up)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: My first pipe rack (just a mock-up)   Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:13 pm

This is what I built today. It's just a mock-up for things to come. This way I can get an idea of what I want, and fix all my screw-ups! I cut the pieces on my table saw, and then sanded each piece. I then glued and pinned it with my 18ga. air gun.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

PostSubject: Re: My first pipe rack (just a mock-up)   Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:16 pm

Here's another picture. I had the clips for years. I got them when I worked at a tobacco shop. They finally came in handy.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: My first pipe rack (just a mock-up)   Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:36 pm

Looking good Con!

Cool

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: My first pipe rack (just a mock-up)   Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:58 pm

Very sharp!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crafty

Registration date : 2013-09-06

PostSubject: Re: My first pipe rack (just a mock-up)   Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:02 pm

Well done!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: My first pipe rack (just a mock-up)   Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:51 am

I don't know why more pipe guys don't use those rubber clip things, especially guys with large collections. Why screw around with racks with cut-outs, routered out depressions (whatever they're called) for the bowls, and elaborate frame structures that end up holding, at best, maybe 36 pipes, such as my two. None are cheap, and half of them won't hold large pipes, at least not side by side. When full, you can't even see the pipes very well, unless it's the silhouette style, kind of a rarity. You could attach the clips to just a plain flat board, if that's all you wanted, like a retail display. But I suppose the question then becomes, are those clips available anywhere?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

PostSubject: Re: My first pipe rack (just a mock-up)   Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:06 pm

I found some clips here:

www.pipeshop-saintclaude.com/miscellaneaous-69

I haven't found anything yet in the U.S.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: My first pipe rack (just a mock-up)   Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:36 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
I don't know why more pipe guys don't use those rubber clip things, especially guys with large collections. Why screw around with racks with cut-outs, routered out depressions (whatever they're called) for the bowls, and elaborate frame structures that end up holding, at best, maybe 36 pipes, such as my two. None are cheap, and half of them won't hold large pipes, at least not side by side. When full, you can't even see the pipes very well, unless it's the silhouette style, kind of a rarity. You could attach the clips to just a plain flat board, if that's all you wanted, like a retail display. But I suppose the question then becomes, are those clips available anywhere?
Indeed. As well as alternate up/down for ultimate space efficiency. It's like a kitchen knife magnet strip vs kitchen knife slot block.

But geez, $1.70+shipping per clip? I'd start looking for something out of the box that could function in the same capacity. That's nuts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crafty

Registration date : 2013-09-06

PostSubject: Re: My first pipe rack (just a mock-up)   Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:59 pm

Do an eBay search for “coated spring terry clip” and look there. Different sizes and poly coated spring steel clamps. Saw 5/8” bag of ten for$6.

Also, https://www.ebay.com/itm/20pcs-Rubber-Fishing-Rod-Pole-Storage-Tip-Clips-Clamps-Holder-Black-New/262936645802?epid=819027786&hash=item3d383ed0aa:g:CH4AAOSwdI9Y8HBW
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: My first pipe rack (just a mock-up)   Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:37 pm

nice searching, Crafty. Very cool.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

My first pipe rack (just a mock-up)
Page 1 of 1