HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Pipe Tobacco Stinks?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JJPHOTO

avatar

Age : 42
Location : Texas
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Pipe Tobacco Stinks?   Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:01 am

So I'm bored at work and reading this article the other day... http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/09/who.still.smokes/index.html

And this is the part that really made my jaw drop...
Even Dimmitt switched from a pipe to cigarettes when he was working with youngsters so he wouldn't reek so much.

Do huh? From a pipe to cigarettes?

I smoked cigarettes for years. Tons of them. My car, clothes, and everything else reeked. Whenever I walked in places people would make that "oh you've been smoking" face.

Since I've been smoking a pipe I've tried a lot of different blends in various forms - burley, VA, VA/Per, Latakia, blah blah blah... and I don't find any of them to leave much (if any) scent behind. My wife was always very sensitive to the smell of cigarette smoke but has never once said anything about me smelling like smoke after starting to smoke a pipe.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jasonjohnsonphoto.com
glpease
Dark Lord
avatar

Age : 59
Location : Here, now. Somewhere else, later...
Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco Stinks?   Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:30 am

JJPHOTO wrote:
...
Even Dimmitt switched from a pipe to cigarettes when he was working with youngsters so he wouldn't reek so much...

Thoughts?

Only that you mis-spelled Dimwit... Wink

-glp
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.glpease.com
Winslow

avatar

Age : 71
Location : Midlothian,Va.
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco Stinks?   Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:24 am

My father used to smoke 1/2 a cigarette,snub it out and put it back in the pack.He
smelled really bad...actually reeked like an ashtray.I don't think he ever realized
how horrid it made his clothes smell. Mad

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin
avatar

Age : 60
Location : Chestnut, IL
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco Stinks?   Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:43 am

Even if you smoked 40 bowls of Pirate Kake a day, you couldn't reek as bad as having been around cigarettes and all that burning treated paper.

_________________


"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JJPHOTO

avatar

Age : 42
Location : Texas
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco Stinks?   Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:20 am

Exactly what I thought.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jasonjohnsonphoto.com
Justpipes
The Duke
avatar

Age : 58
Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco Stinks?   Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:23 am

Cigarettes are just plain nasty!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco Stinks?   Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:42 am

Justpipes wrote:
Cigarettes are just plain nasty!
Amen!
I know when I used to smoke em, they left such a bad aftertaste with bad breath. Pipe tobacco has a pleasent aftertaste with no (or hardly any) bad breath. I do notice a lingering smell in my car, but not as bad as cigerettes. Cigerettes got to where they tasted dead, they were just so convenient.
Back to top Go down
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law
avatar

Age : 67
Location : Oak Ridge, TN
Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco Stinks?   Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:48 am

I can't abide the smell of cigarette smoke or cigarette smokers. My local B & M is a sort of smoking lounge; always two or three folks smoking cigars and pipes. Even when the room is kinda hazy the smell is pleasant. I know which I prefer. Even my wife, God Bless Her, who isn't too happy about my pipe smoking, asked "how could anyone switch from a pipe to cigaresttes?".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
glpease
Dark Lord
avatar

Age : 59
Location : Here, now. Somewhere else, later...
Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco Stinks?   Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:15 pm

It's interesting how we have become so factionalized. There was a time when cigarette smokers, cigar smokers and pipe smokers coexisted in relative harmony. 'Twasn't that long ago, in fact. Today, things could scarcely be more different. I wonder how much of the dissent within the ranks of tobacco users has resulted from the pressures of the antis, and our desire, as pipe smokers, to be held out as separate, lest we suffer the fate of vilification as has befallen the hapless cigarette smoker.

The truth of the matter is that without "Them," "We" would have a difficult time existing. The pipe tobacco industry today is indirectly, but very closely tied to the cigarette industry. If not for Big Tobacco, our selection of leaf would be minimal, at best, and the price of that leaf would be astronomical. We, as pipe smokers, enjoy an inexpensive luxury by virtue of the economy of scale that the cigarette industry creates. Further, we have access to a wider variety of leaf due to the number of growers willing to work the land to produce the tonnage that Big Tobacco needs. The sum total of the pipe tobacco production in the world amounts to about what the cigarette industry sweeps up after the lines shut down, and I'm not exaggerating; collectively, we consume in a year what they produce in a few hours.*

So, as much as many of us don't care for most cigarettes (certainly, there are some very high quality products, not to mention excellent RYO tobaccos), it's a good thing they are there, and that Big Tobacco hasn't been shuttered, thanks to the pressures from the antis, or we'd be smoking pencil shavings and flavoured lawn clippings, or paying a very high price for our pipeweed of choice.

Just something to ponder, and remember when you're in the polling booth. (I cannot tell you how many pipe smokers I've spoken with who have actually SUPPORTED anti-tobacco legislation of one form or another, because they don't like cigarettes.)

*World tobacco production is ca. 6 million tonnes and increasing, as compared to ca. 4.5 million pounds, and shrinking, for pipe tobacco.

-glp
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.glpease.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco Stinks?   Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:27 pm

Mr. Pease,
Thanks for the insightful post. We do forget that we are in the same tobacco boat so to speak. I find myself in recent days of tobacco tax increase talk thinking "well that's just for cigarettes & cigars, just don't touch my pipe baccy". But, your quite right, when one falls we all fall.
I watched Va's Governor Kaine give his State of the Commonwealth Speech last night where he stated the proposed budget would require a .30 per pack increase in cigarette tax, doubling the current tax (lowest in the nation). I think I'll be writing my Representatives.
Back to top Go down
Buck

avatar

Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco Stinks?   Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:34 pm

If ya stink from pipe smoke then ya better clean yer pipe!!

Even cheap pipe tobacco IS tobacco whereas cigarette tobacco is actually stuff called............
"reconstituted sheet tobacco" a largely non-tobacco product which is why it stinks so bad. It
ain't the tobacco that stinks in Ciggies it's the chemicals.

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10029&page=85
Back to top Go down
View user profile
glpease
Dark Lord
avatar

Age : 59
Location : Here, now. Somewhere else, later...
Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco Stinks?   Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:57 pm

Buck wrote:
If ya stink from pipe smoke then ya better clean yer pipe!!

Even cheap pipe tobacco IS tobacco whereas cigarette tobacco is actually stuff called............
"reconstituted sheet tobacco" a largely non-tobacco product which is why it stinks so bad. It
ain't the tobacco that stinks in Ciggies it's the chemicals.

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10029&page=85

I don't want to be seen as an apologist for the cigarette industry - I certainly am not - but this sort of "information" cannot go unchecked.

CRS is used in the manufacture of some cigarettes, yes, but it represents only a small percentage of the overall product, and it is most certainly a tobacco product. Tobacco leaf and a small percentage of stem are ground, mixed with water and binders to form a slurry, calendered by rollers, much in the same way that paper is made, then cut like leaf. It's a way of reclaiming some of the wastage in the threshing and cutting process. It's not pretty, it's not high quality, but it's not a "largely non-tobacco product," either.

The number of chemicals used in the cigarette industry is very large, but the number and actual percentage used in any specific brand is much smaller than you'd be led to believe. Too, many or most of these chemicals are naturally derived products, used to enhance the taste of the tobacco, and to provide a unique and consistent flavour signature of the brand.

Believe it or not, most of the cigarette manufacturers have very strict quality control procedures, and care a great deal about what goes into those little tubes. The finest leaf in the world is bought by Big Tobacco, and it's fortunate that the pipe tobacco community has established relationships with leaf intermediaries that allow us to take advantage of the cigarette companies' desires to have good ingredients to start with.

And, frankly, there have always been "cheap tobaccos" for the pipe that incorporate leaf that has been rejected by cigarette companies.

Still, take some fine VA, cut it to shag, roll it in paper, and it's a different, and most of us would say, inferior experience to smoking the same tobacco in a pipe.

-glp
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.glpease.com
mark
Admin
avatar

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco Stinks?   Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:37 pm

My wife (cheapskate that she is) is now in the "roll your own" mode,,,buys the filtered tubes and stuffs them with a Tops injector machine,,,,figures out to about $1.10 per pack including the shipping for supplies,,,,all that said, I must say the quality of the tobacco is extremely high,,,it's worlds apart from mass produced,,,improved flavor and very little "ashtray" leftover smell in the house,,,,

Still, point well taken,,pipe tobacco relies on the cigarette industry,,I guess we're riding on their coat tails,,,,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!
avatar

Age : 56
Location : North Georgia, USA
Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco Stinks?   Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:01 pm

Even though my wife smoked cigarettes for years before she quit, no tobacco blend on Earth passes her sniff test. Some she minds a great deal more than others, those with Latakia forget it, she breaks out in depression! Lucky me though, I have a large mancave in a separate part of the house which affords me smoking anything I damn well please!

All that said, I can't imagine anyone thinking cigarettes smell better than a fine pipe or cigar!


Last edited by kilted1 on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin
avatar

Age : 60
Location : Chestnut, IL
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco Stinks?   Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:10 pm

I understand how we benefit. But I also know that if I walk into a lounge filled with pipe smokers, I might not like the amount of smoke. But my eyes don't burn from it. I walk into a local tavern filled with cigarette smoke (now illegal in IL), my eyes will burn and water. If the tobacco is of high quality, then it must be the paper and chemicals.

_________________


"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gospelman

avatar

Age : 63
Location : Knoxville
Registration date : 2007-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco Stinks?   Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:28 pm

I'm no fan of cigarettes. I have never smoked them (except for a short time in high school, when I was apparently trying to be "cool".) I don't like the smell, and I really would not want to do anything that would lead to an addiction, which seems to be the result of most cigarette smokers.

Having said that, I bitterly resent my state's action in banning smoking in just about any public venue. I find myself (perhaps reluctantly) defending cigarette smokers to those who are vehemently anti-smoking. Not because I think cigarette smoking is a good idea, or that they are to be applauded for choosing to smoke. But as a pipe smoker, the non-smoking rules affect me too. And we all know that in the eyes of the anti's, (and insurance companies, I've found out) there's no difference in a 2 pack a day Marlboro smoker and a guy like me who enjoys a quiet, spirit uplifting bowl of Westminster once a day.

Like it or not, we are in the boat with cigarette smokers. Every axe that hits that tree shakes our branches as well.

By the way, I love the way my truck smells when I get in after having earlier smoked my pipe in it. Very Happy

Mike
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JJPHOTO

avatar

Age : 42
Location : Texas
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco Stinks?   Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:10 pm

Wow I didn't mean to raise such a ruckus!

Was just sayin - I can't believe someone quit smoking a pipe and went to cigarettes so that they wouldn't reek. Crazy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jasonjohnsonphoto.com
Buck

avatar

Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Tobacco Stinks?   Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:22 pm

glpease wrote:
It's interesting how we have become so factionalized. There was a time when cigarette smokers, cigar smokers and pipe smokers coexisted in relative harmony. 'Twasn't that long ago, in fact. Today, things could scarcely be more different. I wonder how much of the dissent within the ranks of tobacco users has resulted from the pressures of the antis, and our desire, as pipe smokers, to be held out as separate, lest we suffer the fate of vilification as has befallen the hapless cigarette smoker.

The truth of the matter is that without "Them," "We" would have a difficult time existing. The pipe tobacco industry today is indirectly, but very closely tied to the cigarette industry. If not for Big Tobacco, our selection of leaf would be minimal, at best, and the price of that leaf would be astronomical. We, as pipe smokers, enjoy an inexpensive luxury by virtue of the economy of scale that the cigarette industry creates. Further, we have access to a wider variety of leaf due to the number of growers willing to work the land to produce the tonnage that Big Tobacco needs. The sum total of the pipe tobacco production in the world amounts to about what the cigarette industry sweeps up after the lines shut down, and I'm not exaggerating; collectively, we consume in a year what they produce in a few hours.*

So, as much as many of us don't care for most cigarettes (certainly, there are some very high quality products, not to mention excellent RYO tobaccos), it's a good thing they are there, and that Big Tobacco hasn't been shuttered, thanks to the pressures from the antis, or we'd be smoking pencil shavings and flavoured lawn clippings, or paying a very high price for our pipeweed of choice.

Just something to ponder, and remember when you're in the polling booth. (I cannot tell you how many pipe smokers I've spoken with who have actually SUPPORTED anti-tobacco legislation of one form or another, because they don't like cigarettes.)

*World tobacco production is ca. 6 million tonnes and increasing, as compared to ca. 4.5 million pounds, and shrinking, for pipe tobacco.

-glp

With all due respect Greg I will stand on my statement that Ciggies are toxic chemicals
today instead of the true tobacco cigges of yesterday or RYO.

Nothing will convince me that the toxic chemicals in Ciggies don't add ,or directly cause,
much, if not all, of the cancers smokers suffer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Pipe Tobacco Stinks?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Labour MP David Taylor dies following heart attack
» Hose Pipe Bans
» Vladislav Inozemtsev: Putin Is Waking Up From Chinese Pipe Dream

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: