HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A solid, no nonsense order.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: A solid, no nonsense order.   Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:30 pm

Couldn't pass this up. I've been so good lately (translation - Too broke to buy pipes) I decided to reward myself with a no frills, smart pipe and tobacco buy from todays smokingpipes update.

A nice Stanwell blast Featherweight, .9 of an ounce, a Sixten Ivarsson design. And 2 250 gram units of St James flake Very Happy Probably some of the best value out there, these kinds of buys. Will provide a lot of great smoking pleasure for not a lot of dough Cool

Pseudo Nim

Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: A solid, no nonsense order.   Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:47 pm

A fine pipe and an excellent tobacco to go with it................... and you can get it in 250g tins drool drool drool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: A solid, no nonsense order.   Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:03 pm

I believe they're cello wrapped and boxed in the same manner as the pounds are shipped in, but still a nice deal.

JJPHOTO

Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: A solid, no nonsense order.   Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:13 pm

I'm jealous PD! I love Stanwell featherweights... want another one so bad. Hoping my wife gets me another one for my b-day in March. Congrats!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jasonjohnsonphoto.com
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: A solid, no nonsense order.   Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:20 pm

Brass logo = good.

Painted logo = bad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eggman
Cornholio

Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: A solid, no nonsense order.   Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:36 pm

Nice pipe and even better tobacco. Good deal
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: A solid, no nonsense order.   Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:59 pm

LL wrote:

Brass logo = good.

Painted logo = bad.

A point well taken and of value to everybody.

Still, if you'd said maybe "nice" and "not so nice" maybe it would have been more precise.

Case in point : Just recently got another old-timey Peterson billiard. Group 3 size, made (guesstimate) around 1930. An example of a budget line that was marked "Peterson/Dublin" with a number (0, 1, 2 or 3). A "O" was tops ; the one I got is a "3." Its briar is, aesthetically, substandard by anybody's measurement and the workmanship rates "slapdash wretched." It's the cheapest piece of made-down-to-a-rock-bottom-price-possible crap they would put their name on.

But it's a freaking great smoking pipe -- plain wood, fill and all. And stylish in a wry kind of way.

And for $28, even "budgety-er" than the Stanwell.

Sometimes, bad can be good.

What a Face
HOPELESSLY DECLASSE
Back to top Go down
thomas james
Italian Stallion

PostSubject: Re: A solid, no nonsense order.   Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:17 am

Does a seventy seven year old pipe smoke the same as a new pipe carved from a piece of briar that has been curing for seventy seven years?

Oh No! Not this, again!

My Yak PSPR&R'd Stanwell has neither brass nor paint. Should I shit can it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: A solid, no nonsense order.   Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:25 am

The reason I mentioned the logo is only from a maintenance perspective. Larsen's brass inlay is bulletproof---never mind buffing, you can sand the sucker. Their painted logo isn't even a filled-in imprint, but flat and so goes "poof" as soon as it's touched. Total opposites. Hence "good" and "bad." (A filled impress would be, "not so nice" Wink )

Other than that it looks like a really cool little pfeife. I see quite a few Larsens of that shape & size class, and they are amazingly "complete." Great balance and hand feel, nicely finished, and drilling that's quite good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: A solid, no nonsense order.   Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:58 am

Very nice PD!

I just picked up another regd. no. stanwell for $30 that I will get around to posting once I rejuvinate it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: A solid, no nonsense order.   Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:45 am

This pipe will end up being a truck pipe so the logo thing is not a worry, it'll get roughed up a bit anyhow. These are perfect work pipes, super light, good smokers, stuff some Va flake in there and don't worry about her. A solid, no nonsense smoker.

When people ask the "Best bang for the buck" or "What should I buy on my limited income" questions, these Stanwell pipes at about $60 and solid Virginia flakes at $20 come to mind immediately. Doubt there's a better buy out there given the quality to cost ratio, and if I ever found myself without resourses to afford higher grades I'd gather a small set of these babies and be a happy smoker Cool

Dock
BoB's Team

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: A solid, no nonsense order.   Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:09 am

I love it PD! I firmly believe that Stanwells are the best smoking pipes for the money on the planet! I'd go even further to say that several of my Stans smoke as well or better than many Uber high grades that I've owned!

Last edited by Danish_Pipe_Guy on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/dock.perry

PostSubject: Re: A solid, no nonsense order.   Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:23 pm

Excellent Aquisitions!
Back to top Go down
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: A solid, no nonsense order.   Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:18 pm

The SG 250 gr tobacco is a celophane wrapped box,,,,I need to buy more jars,,,

nice Stanwell,,,flowing lines with "style",,,,no argument, a solid deal,,,almost too nice to chew up in a truck,,,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JJPHOTO

Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: A solid, no nonsense order.   Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:57 pm

Danish_Pipe_Guy wrote:
I'd go even further to say that several of my Stans smoke as well or better than many Uber high grades that I've owned!

I have three Stanwells, and I have to force myself to smoke the other four pipes in my rotation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jasonjohnsonphoto.com
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: A solid, no nonsense order.   Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:21 pm

JJPHOTO wrote:
Danish_Pipe_Guy wrote:
I'd go even further to say that several of my Stans smoke as well or better than many Uber high grades that I've owned!

I have three Stanwells, and I have to force myself to smoke the other four pipes in my rotation.

Buy more Stanwells! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: A solid, no nonsense order.   Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:51 pm

JJPHOTO wrote:
Danish_Pipe_Guy wrote:

I gotta agree. For just plain someability (is that a word?) you can't beat a Stanwell. I keep going back to mine over and over again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

PostSubject: Re: A solid, no nonsense order.   Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:17 pm

Well I just smoked back to back bowls in the new Featherweight, smokes great! Drilled very well, light as a feather, cleaner glides right to the bottom, pretty ring grain, $63 Very Happy

Puff Daddy approved! afro

A solid, no nonsense order.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1