HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Unique Blends

Go down 
AuthorMessage
cramptholomew

cramptholomew

Registration date : 2018-04-24

Unique Blends Empty
PostSubject: Unique Blends   Unique Blends EmptyMon Apr 30, 2018 9:41 pm

Hi all, I'm new here, and just picked my pipes back up after tabbling in the sport a few years back. I've bought a plethora of different 'baccies in the last few months, most of which I've enjoyed. What I'm after are some singularly unique, and even weird blends. I enjoy one of a kind flavors - just like my tastes in music (if a singer/musician doesn't stand out as having their own truly unique flair, I don't generally revisit their music). Anyone here have any suggestions of currently available serious odd-balls, good or bad? I recently bought some GH Black Irish X rope, strictly BECAUSE of the extreme reviews. I haven't tried it yet, because I'm waiting for a special occasion. I'll try anything once.

Thanks in advance, and nice to be here!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

Unique Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique Blends   Unique Blends EmptyMon Apr 30, 2018 10:20 pm

Welcome cramp, and please get thyself to the Welcome Wagon and introduce yourself.

Cheers,

RR

Unique Blends Purple11x 2Unique Blends Bombx10Unique Blends BombUnique Blends D6bddf10 Unique Blends 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

Unique Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique Blends   Unique Blends EmptyMon Apr 30, 2018 10:39 pm

cramptholomew wrote:
Hi all, I'm new here, and just picked my pipes back up after tabbling in the sport a few years back. I've bought a plethora of different 'baccies in the last few months, most of which I've enjoyed. What I'm after are some singularly unique, and even weird blends. I enjoy one of a kind flavors - just like my tastes in music (if a singer/musician doesn't stand out as having their own truly unique flair, I don't generally revisit their music). Anyone here have any suggestions of currently available serious odd-balls, good or bad? I recently bought some GH Black Irish X rope, strictly BECAUSE of the extreme reviews. I haven't tried it yet, because I'm waiting for a special occasion. I'll try anything once.

Thanks in advance, and nice to be here!

I rather enjoy the GH version myself; the Sam Gawith version is sometimes a bit much. Best of luck with it! You might also look into Tambolaka.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
cramptholomew

cramptholomew

Unique Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique Blends   Unique Blends EmptyMon Apr 30, 2018 11:10 pm

I have just looked into Tambolaka, and it seems a fool's errand. With a half hour of Google-Fu, I only found reviews, and notices of it's availability up until 2016. It sounds right up my alley, so I'm notably disheartened that it's currently unavailable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

DrT999

Unique Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique Blends   Unique Blends EmptyTue May 01, 2018 9:27 am

cramptholomew wrote:
I have just looked into Tambolaka, and it seems a fool's errand. With a half hour of Google-Fu, I only found reviews, and notices of it's availability up until 2016. It sounds right up my alley, so I'm notably disheartened that it's currently unavailable.

Sorry, I hadn't realized it was now hard to get again. Of course, when I tried it, I had to order it from Indonesia. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

Unique Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique Blends   Unique Blends EmptyTue May 01, 2018 11:35 am

Funds used for blends other than Tambolaka represent money well spent.  IMHO

If you want something unique but wonderful...try some “Dark Horse” a John Patton bulk blend available at 4 Noggins online. It is a singular and succulent blending of Burley, Cigar Leaf, Turkish, Perique and Virginia. There’s not really anything else equivalent out there.

BTW: welcome to our little corner of the world.

Unique Blends D6bddf10Unique Blends 29400910Unique Blends 114e6110Unique Blends Ddb39b10Unique Blends Cf77ce10Unique Blends Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

DrT999

Unique Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique Blends   Unique Blends EmptyTue May 01, 2018 11:51 am

Some other 'unique' blends: Sam Gawith's Grousemoor (if you like Luden's cough drops) & (if you can find it) RB Plug
Back to top Go down
cramptholomew

cramptholomew

Unique Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique Blends   Unique Blends EmptyTue May 01, 2018 12:18 pm

Anyone tried the Tabac Manil blends? They sound rather interesting...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

Unique Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique Blends   Unique Blends EmptyTue May 01, 2018 12:33 pm

Rattray's Exotic Orange. Vincent Manil's Semois. I consider MacBaren's standard blends to be unique because of what seems to be a distinctive honey-like topping. There's no mistaking them for something else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Unique Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique Blends   Unique Blends EmptyTue May 01, 2018 12:37 pm

cramptholomew wrote:

Our posts crossed. Yep, that's a good one to try if you want "unique." You might want to read up on what to expect before purchase. I fell in love with it at first, especially in a cob. Welcome to the club, btw.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cramptholomew

cramptholomew

Unique Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique Blends   Unique Blends EmptyTue May 01, 2018 12:43 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! The Manil stuff sounds kind of bizarre, but in a good way. If I get some, the Brumeuse sounds like a good place to start.

Which MacBaren standards do you suggest? I like strong flavors, and not opposed to aromatics. I believe everything has its place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

DrT999

Unique Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique Blends   Unique Blends EmptyTue May 01, 2018 12:58 pm

cramptholomew wrote:

Didn't care for them as they burn too fast for me. I do like many of the SG & GH brown ropes (flavored and non), and you can always try the various GH Lakelands.
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Unique Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique Blends   Unique Blends EmptyTue May 01, 2018 1:02 pm

cramptholomew wrote:
...Which MacBaren standards do you suggest? I like strong flavors, and not opposed to aromatics. I believe everything has its place.

I like most, but especially the Acadian Perique--but it doesn't have the distinctive MacBaren perfume referred to above. If you want that, try the Scottish Blend, another favorite of mine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cramptholomew

cramptholomew

Unique Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique Blends   Unique Blends EmptyTue May 01, 2018 1:29 pm

DrT999 wrote:
you can always try the various GH Lakelands.

I got some Bosun Cut Plug to try a lakeland style. I was blown back by the floral topping! The lakeland effect is definitely unique. I'd like to try the Ennerdale Flake and SG Grousemoor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

DrT999

Unique Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique Blends   Unique Blends EmptyTue May 01, 2018 1:43 pm

cramptholomew wrote:
DrT999 wrote:
you can always try the various GH Lakelands.

I got some Bosun Cut Plug to try a lakeland style. I was blown back by the floral topping! The lakeland effect is definitely unique. I'd like to try the Ennerdale Flake and SG Grousemoor.

Probably Ennerdale and #7 Broken Flake are the two best intros to GH Lakelands. Grasmere is a bit less scented (although just with Rose/Geranium) with a bit higher N than those or Bosun.
Back to top Go down
Big G

Big G

Registration date : 2009-10-15

Unique Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique Blends   Unique Blends EmptyTue May 01, 2018 9:16 pm

+1 for Rattray's Exotic Orange.  Probably the most unique blend I've tried in years.  I never thought I would appreciate an orange-flavored pipe tobacco, but every time I fire up a bowl of this blend I think to myself, "Wow, this stuff is incredible!".
A blend I personally find really unique and probably the most complex blend I have in my humble cellar is Peretti's Cuban Mixture.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cramptholomew

cramptholomew

Unique Blends Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unique Blends   Unique Blends EmptyTue May 01, 2018 9:29 pm

Seems the Exotic Orange is almost as elusive as the Tambolaka! I *could* order it from Denmark, but...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Unique Blends
Page 1 of 1