HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

help identifing bent briar from an old photo

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dr. Pierce

Registration date : 2018-05-08

PostSubject: help identifing bent briar from an old photo   Tue May 08, 2018 10:51 am

Hello Everyone.

Does anyone want to speculate about the identity of my grandfather's pipe.
I'm thinking a bent egg or apple (Peterson maybe?). I would like to acquire one like it to honor his memory.

Info on photo: Canada circa 1913.
He's a very young man on the Saskatoon homestead.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: help identifing bent briar from an old photo   Tue May 08, 2018 3:19 pm

That's certainly in the Peterson style. Not sure which model though.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: help identifing bent briar from an old photo   Tue May 08, 2018 6:35 pm

Petersen and WDC (William Demuth Co.) both made pipes that looked like your granddads. I have a Pete bent apple, a Mark Twain, and a WDC bent billiard that look much like the one in your picture. cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Pierce

PostSubject: Re: help identifing bent briar from an old photo   Tue May 08, 2018 9:18 pm

Thanks Bros. Peterson (type) Bent
Any other opinions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: help identifing bent briar from an old photo   Wed May 09, 2018 9:40 am

My money's on a Wellington (WDC). Side by side shotgun too! Great photo!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: help identifing bent briar from an old photo   Sun May 20, 2018 4:46 pm

Looks like a Pete 69 to me. It looks a bit more tapered going up to the rim though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: help identifing bent briar from an old photo   Sun May 20, 2018 6:24 pm

Jevverrett wrote:
Looks like a Pete 69 to me. It looks a bit more tapered going up to the rim though.

Could be slight variance in styling from a different era. I'd bet on its being a Pete if the choice was only that or Wellington. Never seen a Wellington without that flare thing on the stem.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Jevverrett

PostSubject: Re: help identifing bent briar from an old photo   Mon May 21, 2018 6:52 pm

I was thinking Pete based on the stoutness of the transition and stem, coupled with the beefy band it has. Maybe like the middle guy on this chart. I donít know if they made this line exactly at that time, but the shape may be a classic one for all I know. Also, if he was a homesteader he probably would need to keep that shotgun close once this mrs found out what a straight grain goes for lol.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: help identifing bent briar from an old photo   Mon May 28, 2018 7:54 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
Never seen a Wellington without that flare thing on the stem.

Good point there. I'd imagine there are many brands/makers that have come and gone over the past 100+ years that we've never even heard of.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Pierce

PostSubject: Re: help identifing bent briar from an old photo   Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:37 pm

Thanks for the thoughtful replies.

Since Grandfather was 17 years old, before he volunteered to fight in France. I'm thinking that it was either a present from the family or a hand-me-down pipe. A bent egg imho. They didn't have much money in those days.

BTW, He fought at Vimy Ridge, in the CEF. 10k men wiped out in 4 days of fighting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vimy_Ridge
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

PostSubject: Re: help identifing bent briar from an old photo   Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:40 pm

Are you doing a family research project? Learning about your family history can be exciting. After my grandfather died I got a chance to read this book thatís been in the making for quite some time.

" />

Donít know why the photo is so big...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

help identifing bent briar from an old photo
Page 1 of 1