HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

help identifing bent briar from an old photo

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dr. Pierce

Registration date : 2018-05-08

PostSubject: help identifing bent briar from an old photo   Tue May 08, 2018 10:51 am

Hello Everyone.

Does anyone want to speculate about the identity of my grandfather's pipe.
I'm thinking a bent egg or apple (Peterson maybe?). I would like to acquire one like it to honor his memory.

Info on photo: Canada circa 1913.
He's a very young man on the Saskatoon homestead.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: help identifing bent briar from an old photo   Tue May 08, 2018 3:19 pm

That's certainly in the Peterson style. Not sure which model though.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: help identifing bent briar from an old photo   Tue May 08, 2018 6:35 pm

Petersen and WDC (William Demuth Co.) both made pipes that looked like your granddads. I have a Pete bent apple, a Mark Twain, and a WDC bent billiard that look much like the one in your picture. cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Pierce

PostSubject: Re: help identifing bent briar from an old photo   Tue May 08, 2018 9:18 pm

Thanks Bros. Peterson (type) Bent
Any other opinions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: help identifing bent briar from an old photo   Wed May 09, 2018 9:40 am

My money's on a Wellington (WDC). Side by side shotgun too! Great photo!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: help identifing bent briar from an old photo   Sun May 20, 2018 4:46 pm

Looks like a Pete 69 to me. It looks a bit more tapered going up to the rim though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: help identifing bent briar from an old photo   Sun May 20, 2018 6:24 pm

Jevverrett wrote:
Looks like a Pete 69 to me. It looks a bit more tapered going up to the rim though.

Could be slight variance in styling from a different era. I'd bet on its being a Pete if the choice was only that or Wellington. Never seen a Wellington without that flare thing on the stem.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

PostSubject: Re: help identifing bent briar from an old photo   Mon May 21, 2018 6:52 pm

I was thinking Pete based on the stoutness of the transition and stem, coupled with the beefy band it has. Maybe like the middle guy on this chart. I donít know if they made this line exactly at that time, but the shape may be a classic one for all I know. Also, if he was a homesteader he probably would need to keep that shotgun close once this mrs found out what a straight grain goes for lol.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: help identifing bent briar from an old photo   Mon May 28, 2018 7:54 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
Never seen a Wellington without that flare thing on the stem.

Good point there. I'd imagine there are many brands/makers that have come and gone over the past 100+ years that we've never even heard of.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Pierce

PostSubject: Re: help identifing bent briar from an old photo   Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:37 pm

Thanks for the thoughtful replies.

Since Grandfather was 17 years old, before he volunteered to fight in France. I'm thinking that it was either a present from the family or a hand-me-down pipe. A bent egg imho. They didn't have much money in those days.

BTW, He fought at Vimy Ridge, in the CEF. 10k men wiped out in 4 days of fighting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vimy_Ridge
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

PostSubject: Re: help identifing bent briar from an old photo   Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:40 pm

Are you doing a family research project? Learning about your family history can be exciting. After my grandfather died I got a chance to read this book thatís been in the making for quite some time.

" />

Donít know why the photo is so big...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Pierce

PostSubject: Re: help identifing bent briar from an old photo   Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:18 am

Sorry it took so long to respond. I've been away for a few months.

My sister discovered a old CD rom of family photos behind our mom's couch. She sent several photos to me that she though I'd find interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

help identifing bent briar from an old photo
Page 1 of 1