HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

I'm going home!

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: I'm going home!   Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:39 am

Everyone's giving you tips Rande, so I feel I should do too...

2.30, Epsom, 'Lucky Lad', 4 - 1 favourite. Wink

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: I'm going home!   Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:40 pm

Another milestone yesterday - signed all the papers from the Title company so that's all in order. Closing is this Mon 7/9 at which time I'll have the deed paid in full!

Last day at the brewery is coming up in a few weeks, and then I'll be doing the final packing in anticipation for the big move mid-Aug. Just shredded about 100# of old records and will be visiting the second hand store with donations of things like heavy winter jackets and such.

Registered new accts with the utility companies in AZ so things are moving apace.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: I'm going home!   Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:19 pm

That sounds like the smoothest transition I've ever heard of regarding moving. Other than the house you live in burning down and moving is grabbing your coat and walking away, I guess....

Clean living is dealing a great hand to you sir! How cool is that? king
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: I'm going home!   Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:02 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
That sounds like the smoothest transition I've ever heard of regarding moving. Other than the house you live in burning down and moving is grabbing your coat and walking away, I guess....

Clean living is dealing a great hand to you sir! How cool is that? king

Not sure how smooth it actually is Ozzie but I'm dealing with it OK.

More later.....

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: I'm going home!   Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:12 pm

Well, by the time I get permission from the doctor to roll out to the PNW, I'll be waving at you from the northbound lanes!

Fracking medical practitioners. Always our best interests at heart. Whatever happened to the sense of adventure?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: I'm going home!   Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:00 am

Arizona? Good Lord man! Well I reckon ya have to be born there to enjoy it, the 120-130 temps don't do much for me. I'm having to deal with 101-107 here and not lik'en it. I wish you the best though and hope we don't lose touch. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: I'm going home!   Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:57 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Arizona? Good Lord man! Well I reckon ya have to be born there to enjoy it, the 120-130 temps don't do much for me. I'm having to deal with 101-107 here and not lik'en it. I wish you the best though and hope we don't lose touch. Wink

No reason to lose touch Ron. You know my e-mail and I'll still be hanging around here - once I get the 'puter set up in Sun City that is.

And the hotter it gets the more I like it!

sunny

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: I'm going home!   Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:55 pm

Another big step accomplished today in the process. All systems are go for closing this coming Monday.

cheers

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: I'm going home!   Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:01 pm

Much going on here in anticipation of the big move in a month or so. I'll spare y'all the details, yet if I'm to meet my goal of going minimalist it's a necessary evil. And I'm at peace with this decision.

More later.....

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: I'm going home!   Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:48 pm

I've been tardy on my updates, so here's the belated version-

Closed on the Sun City house this past Monday, and I now have the deed PAID IN FULL! So now I own 2 houses (YIKES), yet am hoping to shed one of them in a month or so. More on that later.

Set up accounts at all the new utility companies in AZ and am getting the locks changed on the new house. Made my final plans for the physical move (no small task) - too much to type and too many details.

Suffice to say that I'll be taking occupancy sometime in mid - Aug. My last day at the brewery is the end of the month (July 31), so officially on Aug 1 I'll be retired.

affraid

And what a totally weird concept that is to me, even though the date approaches soon. It's like it hasn't sunk in yet or something. My life for 30 yrs has been defined by being a brewer and I've enjoyed each and every day whether good or bad. And now it's time to cut it free.

And yes this is a conscious decision I made about a year ago. I'm not being forced out by the new brewery ownership - in fact they would very much prefer that I stay on. I've considered this again and again, but this decision is the right one for me.

The new ownership brings much to the table. They are 101% dedicated to seeing Snoqualmie Falls Brewing grow and prosper. And the new beer garden (which is set to open this weekend) is a testament to that, as well as the improvements to the kitchen, menu, Tap Room cosmetics, and much else. In short they are in for the big picture. Good peeps.

So I feel that I will leave on an up note, confident that the company, the products (which are virtually all mine), will go forth and prosper. I leave with no regrets. So enough about all that....

I'm chipping away at the packing, discarding, recycling, etc, in preparation for the physical move. This week I've been focused on pipes/'baccy/accessories. Now at a point where I have that pretty much under control. Just leaving out enough to get me through the next month or so.

Much to go through yet, but a few hrs after work is getting 'er done. And I'll have a full week or so after I officially retire to perform the final-final packing, leaving only the loading to do. Should be in good shape.

More later............

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: I'm going home!   Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:29 pm

Goodness me Rande, you have been a busy boy. I know because I'm currently packing the last of my house in preparation of moving this Thursday.

Good luck with it all mate.

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: I'm going home!   Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:08 am

Sounds like you're building a portfolio of properties, Rande!

Sounds like you've got everything all in hand, Rande, and importantly, have got your head round your relationship with the brewery. You're in a not too dissimilar place to where I was a few years ago; left the RAF after 27 years' service, bought a house and started a new chapter. It can be very unsettling if you've invested so much into your profession. It becomes part of the very fabric of who you are.

Time to look forward though old chum. Celebrate the past, but look forward. Cast off your puffer jackets, winter mitts and bobble hats with a smile and embrace your new way of life!

Bravo for Rande!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: I'm going home!   Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Stick wrote:
Sounds like you're building a portfolio of properties, Rande!

Sounds like you've got everything all in hand, Rande, and importantly, have got your head round your relationship with the brewery.  You're in a not too dissimilar place to where I was a few years ago; left the RAF after 27 years' service, bought a house and started a new chapter.  It can be very unsettling if you've invested so much into your profession.  It becomes part of the very fabric of who you are.

Time to look forward though old chum.  Celebrate the past, but look forward.  Cast off your puffer jackets, winter mitts and bobble hats with a smile and embrace your new way of life!

Bravo for Rande!

Aye lad. Right you are on all counts....well except for building a portfolio of properties!

Wink

Donated all my heavy winter gear to the local charity, plus much else. Still coming across much un-wanted/un-needed stuff. Good job there's a donation truck near me that I literally pass on the way back from the brewery. And they take everything, even electronic items that are not working. Got a few of those!

I've adopted a very much "non-sentimental" view to all this, and shedding so many items accumulated over the years that have no significant attachment to the day-to-day of where I'm at now.

I'm not Buddhist, but one of the tenants in that religion speaks to not attaching a relationship with material objects. That's kind of what I'm going through right now. If it isn't to be practical or used on a regular basis, out it goes with no regrets.

drunken

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: I'm going home!   Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:14 pm

I read somewhere that our kingdom is not of this world, nor adorned with worldly possessions. Another text implied that to shed one's self of the tethers of the material world is to free one's self from the fetters that bind you.

Be free! It's your chance to join us beyond the Pale....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: I'm going home!   Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:21 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
I read somewhere that our kingdom is not of this world, nor adorned with worldly possessions. Another text implied that to shed one's self of the tethers of the material world is to free one's self from the fetters that bind you.

Be free! It's your chance to join us beyond the Pale....

Amen brother Wiz.

sunny

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Brewdude

PostSubject: Update   Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:47 pm

Had my septic tank pumped and inspected. This is required when a house with one is sold, and even though mine is not technically sold, it's immanent. In any case it would have to be done in the next few weeks anyway.

Cost me just over $1K, and half of that was for the compliance regs that came into force in the past 5 yrs or so. Just another way for the bloody state to pick my pocket.  Suspect

It passed the inspection (no damage or leaking, etc). So it's over and done with. In the 20 yrs I've lived here it was pumped about 10 yrs ago (only since I thought it was probably time) and of course it was pumped prior to my buying the house. And the tank was sized for a family of say 4 (3 bedroom/2 bath house) so the small amount I put down it is a fraction of its capacity. All to say that the load that was pumped didn't amount to much.

I was here at the time, and the septic tech was a real character. Kept me entertained with jokes and anecdotes. Good guy. And I was surprised that it didn't stink more than it did!

There are 2 lids that have to be pulled, and these are both under my rear deck. So I had to remove some floor boards from the deck and then expose the hatch lids. These are concrete (as is the tank), about 2' round, heavy as hell, and covered by about 1' of soil. I had to ask the handyman from the brewery to hep me on this since it was a fairly physical job and I could see that it would be easy for me to hurt my back in the tight spaces.

So he and a helper came up, pulled off the floor boards (which were difficult due to stripped screws), dug down to the lids and exposed the lid covers. Of course I'll have to pay him for his time but it didn't amount to even a hr of his time. Better that than hurting myself. And he'll come back later this week to bury the lids in soil and replace the floorboards. Some things are better left non-DIY.

Stopped off at the post office and filled out a change of address form. This will be good for all first-class mail for one year from the effective date. There's no charge for forwarding, but it could take 7-10 days before reaching the new address.

In the meantime I'm contacting all and sundry about the change of address, so don't really expect too much mail being sent past my move date. Most of these transitions are pretty seamless, but one or two get complicated. Yes, I've been through this before and will get through this one.

Not really that much left to pack, except for the bare essentials to last me the final days at this address. I'll keep chipping away at it though in order to be ready days in advance.

And in the event my potential buyer goes south I'll also be faced with donating/recycling whole loads of things I was going to leave behind for him. But I can do this fairly easily in my last week prior to the move/after I retire the end of the month.

All to say I'm feeling a lot less anxiety compared to before. A week or so ago I was having panic attacks and not sleeping well. That seems to have passed and I'm really looking forward to getting on with the new house and area.

bounce

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: I'm going home!   Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:50 pm

Sounds like you have things well in hand, sir. Remember to keep breathing and truckin. on! You're almost through this!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: I'm going home!   Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:31 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Sounds like you have things well in hand, sir. Remember to keep breathing and truckin. on! You're almost through this!

Yuppers. Not much left to do really, except pack up all the final-final things and go down to a bare-bones essential existence prior to moving day. This will be relatively easily accomplished. Need to be 100% ready for the move day, and I'm dialed on that.

I'll get the mostly final things packed this weekend, and prepare to live a basic day-to-day for the next week or two. Heading to the goal posts now, and the light at the end of the tunnel is in sight.

Steady course, eye on target, and full speed ahead!

sunny

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
chukster

Registration date : 2018-07-25

PostSubject: Re: I'm going home!   Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:54 am

Congrats Brewdude, enjoy the sun and don't forget the sunscreen. On another note do you know if the they still make two handed ale in the Emearld City area?? I had a few at the SEATAC airport several years ago... good stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: I'm going home!   Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:04 pm

chukster wrote:
Congrats Brewdude, enjoy the sun and don't forget the sunscreen. On another note do you know if the they still make two handed ale in the Emearld City area?? I had a few at the SEATAC airport several years ago... good stuff.

No idea, but I don't get out much. Too many breweries to keep track of anymore.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Stick

PostSubject: Re: I'm going home!   Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:10 pm

Good luck with the move, Rande. Thinking of you old chap!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: I'm going home!   Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:00 pm

Stick wrote:
Good luck with the move, Rande.  Thinking of you old chap!

It's coming fast mate, only a week and a half now!

I have everything pretty much packed up that I won't need until after I move. Just have a few more boxes to do in the last several days so that I'm living on the very basics.

I'll be ready on the big day!

drunken

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: I'm going home!   Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:45 pm

Good luck mate, now comes the joy of unpacking all those boxes at the other end. It's almost like Christmas opening each one. Smile

Hope the move goes smoothly.

Cheers

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile

I'm going home!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2