HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Lost the Love for Latakia

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lesath

Lesath

Registration date : 2011-07-22

Lost the Love for Latakia - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost the Love for Latakia   Lost the Love for Latakia - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2018 10:18 am

Guess I'm fortunate in the respect that work keeps me away from tobacco for about a week at a time, and my palate is reset.  I savour Latakia blends, but after a week away, my first bowl can't be a heavy lat blend, or anything that has a lot of perique in it. It certainly makes the blends pop for me initially, though my tastes grows muted a bit with exposure.  If I recall, I believe some you have had some forced sabbaticals from tobacco, maybe BH?  Yet, you continue to no longer have a craving for Latakia.  One of those mysteries?  Guess we may eventually satisfy our personal Latakia itch, and move on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Lost the Love for Latakia   Lost the Love for Latakia - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 27, 2018 2:27 pm

I have to rotate blends and even cigars or I my senses will dull
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slowroll

Slowroll

Registration date : 2017-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Lost the Love for Latakia   Lost the Love for Latakia - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 30, 2018 11:33 am

Missed this thread before,  but thought I'd chime in. I've been smoking lat blends for 50 years,  and haven't lost the taste for them a bit. I recently discovered HH old Dark Fired and I smoke that once a day, and love it, but not to the exclusion of lat blends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
whitebriar

whitebriar

Registration date : 2010-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Lost the Love for Latakia   Lost the Love for Latakia - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 16, 2018 11:26 pm

Couldn't tolerate it for many years., gave headache..past few yrs I can use it, but light blends and moderation..Morley's Best I can handle, but I tend to mix MB and Haunted Bookshop equally and it seems to agree with my tastes much better..adds a bit of sweetness without being anywhere near an Aro
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

PostSubject: Re: Lost the Love for Latakia   Lost the Love for Latakia - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2018 12:05 pm

Hmmm, I'm starting to wonder if I am losing the love too. Been awhile since I had English and tried a bowl yesterday. While the tobacco was excellent, it didn't trip my trigger.

When I think about it, English was my first love. I also liked to smoke strong cigars as well. During my several year pipe hiatus I found strong cigars all started to taste the same and backed off to medium boutique cigars that had a pepper notes. Get back into pipes this year and I'm all into Virginia's for the first time in a big way and discovered aromatics are not evil.

I suppose it could be seasonal too and that is a common thing for me. Guess I will see what next year brings . . .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zanaspus

Zanaspus

Registration date : 2009-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Lost the Love for Latakia   Lost the Love for Latakia - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 23, 2018 11:12 pm

I oscillate over the years. A true love/hate relationship.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Lost the Love for Latakia   Lost the Love for Latakia - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2018 12:59 am

I've been enjoying latakia blends more lately.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Lost the Love for Latakia   Lost the Love for Latakia - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2018 6:57 am

whitebriar wrote:
Couldn't tolerate it for many years., gave headache..past few yrs I can use it, but light blends and moderation..Morley's Best I can handle, but I tend to mix MB and Haunted Bookshop equally and it seems to agree with my tastes much better..adds a bit of sweetness without being anywhere near an Aro

You should try GL Pease Samarra.  It is perhaps the only Latakia blend I can go near that still works for me.

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/p/gl-pease-samarra-pipe-tobacco/1472799/

Lost the Love for Latakia - Page 2 4914da10

Lost the Love for Latakia - Page 2 D6bddf10Lost the Love for Latakia - Page 2 29400910Lost the Love for Latakia - Page 2 114e6110Lost the Love for Latakia - Page 2 Ddb39b10Lost the Love for Latakia - Page 2 Cf77ce10Lost the Love for Latakia - Page 2 Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

PostSubject: Re: Lost the Love for Latakia   Lost the Love for Latakia - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2018 7:38 am

Zanaspus wrote:
I oscillate over the years. A true love/hate relationship.

And that is why I won't part with my stash. I know it will rotate around again down the road. Like I said, it was my first love. Could anyone not have fond memories of the first?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Lost the Love for Latakia   Lost the Love for Latakia - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2018 10:43 am

Very interesting thread, thanks for starting it Adam. It's comforting to see that like so many of my BoB's, my tastes migrate over the years. After an extended Virginia and Vaper blends stint, suddenly Latakia blends, straight burly, and (gasp!) even some lighter aromatics have become mighty tasty. What few taste buds I have left become numb to my favorite blends if I smoke it for weeks on end. Variety and rotation seems to be the way for me.

Good thing we live in a Golden Age of tobacco options.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Lost the Love for Latakia   Lost the Love for Latakia - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2018 11:49 am

I've never ben a big fan, but I have to admit that adding a bit of a Latakia to a bowl in cold weather is nice on occasion. Of course, at maybe two tins a year, I have enough to last me 20+ years!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Lost the Love for Latakia   Lost the Love for Latakia - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 26, 2018 4:22 pm

My tastes change a lot also. I still enjoy latakia blends, but lately I have been indulging in burleys and some aromatics. Oriental tobaccos have started to bother me for some reason, so I've been staying away from them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Lost the Love for Latakia
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2