HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Out of Stock

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

Out of Stock Empty
PostSubject: Out of Stock   Out of Stock EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 7:23 pm

There sure are a lot of tobaccos out of stock at Smokingpipes.com. Is the end near?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

Out of Stock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of Stock   Out of Stock EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 9:21 pm

Nah. New labels are due soon, the august cutoff date is approaching for the post 2007 blends, and folks are panic buying themselves into additional mortgages, selling organs, children, souls, etc...... The manufactures are cranking out stuff as fast as they can....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rail Man

Rail Man

Registration date : 2007-12-23

Out of Stock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of Stock   Out of Stock EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 11:01 pm

Thereís been so much Iíve seen involving the FDA regs that are upcoming but wasnít the cutoff date pushed back to August 2021 for post-2007 blends? Feel free to correct me I canít keep track of it all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

Out of Stock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of Stock   Out of Stock EmptyWed Jul 11, 2018 11:37 pm

Rail Man wrote:
Thereís been so much Iíve seen involving the FDA regs that are upcoming but wasnít the cutoff date pushed back to August 2021 for post-2007 blends? Feel free to correct me I canít keep track of it all.

Oh, probably so, now that you mention it, I recall hearing that too. Well, maybe another reason for the shortages are due to some manufacturers closing shop and the cascade effect that ensued for B&Ms house blends and rebranded stuff. That leaves the rest of the folks scrambling to keep up. I can't see all those consumers quitting smoking because their favourite blends went away... There's a lot of hungry pipes out there!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rail Man

Rail Man

Registration date : 2007-12-23

Out of Stock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of Stock   Out of Stock EmptyThu Jul 12, 2018 12:46 am

Regardless of when the FDA fist comes down I am sure you are right about the hoarding aspect, just because thereís so much uncertainty. With retailers putting limits on how much can be bought per day tells me thereís a lot of panic buying going on. Didnít realize how good we had it a decade ago when you could go online and find almost every blend in stock, and if wasnít it would be in a few weeks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SourMilk

SourMilk

Registration date : 2018-03-01

Out of Stock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of Stock   Out of Stock EmptyThu Jul 12, 2018 2:17 pm

While I canít speak for other blends, there may be several discontinued McConnell blends.

I had my sister pick me up a tin of Scottish Flake while she was in Wales a month ago and the tobacconist said they were done. They had 5 tins left after mine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

Out of Stock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of Stock   Out of Stock EmptyThu Jul 12, 2018 3:20 pm

I don't know if there is something in the air or if it is a generational thing. Stockpiling is a way of life for some people, particularly young hobbyists. Not that we older folks aren't doing it as well, but I don't believe we're the driving force. I see it all the time in other hobbies. One example is the ravenous appetite for shaving soaps, and unlike tobacco, shaving soaps do not better with age. It's quite the opposite, yet they seem to buy enough of every soap to last four lifetimes...before they've even tried it or decided whether they like it. Honestly, I find it to be another way to be over-consumers. A way to spend money and a great example of consumer gluttony. The more they spend on something, the better they feel about their status in the hobby or something. Or a paranoia or this hyper-anxiety of "fear of missing out." It's a great thing for sellers and makers, but geez, one of the darker consequences is it gives a really convoluted, warped sense of the hobby and state of things. Unfortunately, warped or not, it creates very real situations; some of which can be rising prices, scarce availability, and lowering quality as makers try like hell to keep up with the surge in demand.

There are certainly losers in this game explosion, but few people are going to say anything about it. It's not as if we're going to do anything to change it. We'll just bitch about it...because...uh...there's good reason to bitch about it.

EDIT: I'd like to add, and this is why you're also seeing an uptake in special reserve editions and the like. They are by no means new to the game, but I suspect they're going to be prolific, and then commonplace, as long as people are hoarding. Makers simply cannot turn down the opportunity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RSteve

RSteve

Registration date : 2008-02-09

Out of Stock Empty
PostSubject: Out of Stock   Out of Stock EmptySun Jul 15, 2018 4:17 pm

You may note that JR Cigars is virtually OOS on all pipe tobacco. I would not be surprised if JR is in the process of discontinuing carrying pipes, pipe tobacco, and pipe accessories.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

Out of Stock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of Stock   Out of Stock EmptySun Jul 15, 2018 8:25 pm

RSteve wrote:
You may note that JR Cigars is virtually OOS on all pipe tobacco. I would not be surprised if JR is in the process of discontinuing carrying pipes, pipe tobacco, and pipe accessories.

Steve, thanks for the intel. I haven't frequented their site for many years.

And happy birthday yesterday.

king

Cheers,

RR

Out of Stock Purple11x 2Out of Stock Bombx10Out of Stock BombOut of Stock D6bddf10 Out of Stock 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
History Prof 1861

History Prof 1861

Registration date : 2016-10-16

Out of Stock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of Stock   Out of Stock EmptyMon Jul 16, 2018 8:37 am

At least in my area there has been an up tick in price that is significant as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SourMilk

SourMilk

Registration date : 2018-03-01

Out of Stock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of Stock   Out of Stock EmptyThu Jul 26, 2018 12:24 pm

SP has re-upped FYI
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SteveMKentucky

SteveMKentucky

Registration date : 2018-03-23

Out of Stock Empty
PostSubject: SP Out of Stock   Out of Stock EmptyThu Sep 20, 2018 4:19 pm

Just visiting SP and they are out of every Samuel Gawith mixture but Kendal Cream Flake. I think it's been months since I've seen any.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

Out of Stock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of Stock   Out of Stock EmptyThu Sep 20, 2018 5:59 pm

SteveMKentucky wrote:
Just visiting SP and they are out of every Samuel Gawith mixture but Kendal Cream Flake. †I think it's been months since I've seen any.

S. Gawith comes and goes. There was a shipment to the US a month or so ago that included most of the flakes, ropes and English mixtures both 50g tins and 250g boxes. There was even some Bothy Flake. Went pretty quick though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

Out of Stock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of Stock   Out of Stock EmptyThu Sep 20, 2018 7:21 pm

I can believe SP was smacked by Florence and may have been short-staffed and decided to focus on filling orders and not updating inventory on the web page. They may have had problems getting stock with the shipping issues there for a week or so.

That would be a recent thing though and would not speak to earlier issues.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
SteveMKentucky

SteveMKentucky

Registration date : 2018-03-23

Out of Stock Empty
PostSubject: Out of stock   Out of Stock EmptyThu Sep 20, 2018 9:42 pm

For what it's worth, Cupojoes is out of all of them too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

Out of Stock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of Stock   Out of Stock EmptyFri Sep 21, 2018 10:02 am

Yeah, I'm running low on Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake and never new it to be out of stock and low and behold . . . I'm screwed. At some point the hording has to level off. One tobacconist compared it to the ammo shortage a couple of years back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

Out of Stock Empty
PostSubject: Re: Out of Stock   Out of Stock EmptyFri Sep 21, 2018 10:28 am

ahhh just found some in stock! TAD complete cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Out of Stock
Page 1 of 1