HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

McClelland Virginia in the Closet

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rail Man

Rail Man

Registration date : 2007-12-23

McClelland Virginia in the Closet Empty
PostSubject: McClelland Virginia in the Closet   McClelland Virginia in the Closet EmptySat Jul 14, 2018 5:39 pm

In the back of a closet I found a partially full mason jar of McClelland’s VA No. 27, according to my label it was from a 2006 tin and I put it in the jar in 2010. This is what a straight Virginia should taste like, it’s almost silky. And sweet! What a surprise to find this. It’s too bad when this jar’s gone it’s gone for good. At least I have some tins of Christmas Cheer and one of No. 24 (with Drama!).

I remember not being particularly excited about McClelland Virginias in 2006, or even in 2010, which is why this ended up in the back of the closet. Pretty delicious now, funny how tastes change.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Virginia in the Closet   McClelland Virginia in the Closet EmptySat Jul 14, 2018 7:59 pm

McC defined 'ginnes IMHO. The masters. Or at least in the top 3 according to your yardstick.

Glad you found this to your tastes Rail Man.

Cheers,

RR

McClelland Virginia in the Closet Purple11x 2McClelland Virginia in the Closet Bombx10  McClelland Virginia in the Closet Bombx3McClelland Virginia in the Closet D6bddf10 McClelland Virginia in the Closet 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
glassjapan

glassjapan

Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Virginia in the Closet   McClelland Virginia in the Closet EmptySat Jul 14, 2018 9:27 pm

McClelland's virginias are just so different and maybe that's why I was always drawn to them. From the red flakes that they tinned for McCranie's or in the annual Christmas Cheers...to the black stoved flakes ala Dark Star. Just so unique and will be missed when gone for good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timbo

Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Virginia in the Closet   McClelland Virginia in the Closet EmptySat Jul 14, 2018 9:44 pm

Yummy stuff for sure. Got a pound of 2035 awaiting me at some future stage that I jarred in 2015, will leave that one a bit longer though. Hey if I leave it till 2035 to smoke it, I may even be able to get it to light as it seems to contain asbestos. Laughing

Cheers

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Virginia in the Closet   McClelland Virginia in the Closet EmptySat Jul 14, 2018 10:27 pm

As everyone knows, it was the ketchup! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rail Man

Rail Man

Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Virginia in the Closet   McClelland Virginia in the Closet EmptySat Jul 14, 2018 11:35 pm

monbla256 wrote:
As everyone knows, it was the ketchup! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Speaking of that, now that they’ve closed the doors and there are no trade secrets to protect could they reveal to us what exactly that ketchup topping was?

Edit: After a little searching I answered my own question, not a topping but just the natural smell of fermenting red VA. You learn something every day!

Indeed McClelland VA were unique, glad I never threw that jar out years ago when I couldn’t fully appreciate the blend.

I’ve got a tin of the original Ashton Brindle Flake dated from 2003 I found buried on a shelf in a B&M about 10 years ago, looking forward to opening that one up some day when the mood strikes!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smoker13

Registration date : 2016-01-12

PostSubject: Re: McClelland Virginia in the Closet   McClelland Virginia in the Closet EmptyMon Jul 16, 2018 1:42 pm

I've said it here before, but I'll say it again; NOBODY does Virginias like McClellands. Every bit of variety in their flakes, ribbons and other cuts, all superlative. The very best. I've got a pretty good stash, but in the long run, is it really enough? The answer is, of course, not nearly enough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

McClelland Virginia in the Closet
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: