The Butcher of BoB

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 28, 2018 10:56 am

Blackhorse wrote:
If I’m allowed in (since this is a separate but linked activity to the main mission...or something) I’d love to play sleuth with the rest of the boys.

You were on the squadron, of course you're in, if you wish!
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 28, 2018 11:14 am

OK, rules are as follows..........

Entry into this mystery was specified as for participants of the Roctober Madness Bombing run that just occurred. Please see the first post on this thread.

As the story unfolds, participants wishing to make a serious guess are to submit their theory via Private Message to me, Ozzie. One guess each player. DO NOT POST GUESSES ON THE THREAD OR FORUM. Doing so disqualifies the participant.

The storyline is word and hint specific, please carefully read the pulp I present to you with diligence.

THE FIRST CORRECT GUESS WINS THE PRIZE!!!!!

Each day, a new chapter will be written and presented on this thread. Bear in mind, things are not always what they seem, but sometimes the most obvious answer is the correct one. Also, once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth..........

Shall we begin with our cast of characters? Is everybody in? The ceremony is about to begin!

Last edited by Ozark Wizard on Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 28, 2018 11:26 am

Welcome aboard the Alexander!

The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 85d68a10

Cast of Characters....

Our victim, Chef. A designation not entirely accurate. As are many

cooks, his surly disposition and refusal to accommodate varied

palates and or dietary requirements is well understood. Not much loved by the crew.

Captain Samuel Langhorne,  master and commander of the

Baltimore Clipper ship, Alexander. A seasoned sailor, there were

few duties on board ship he would decline to muster to and lend a

hand. Well respected by the crew of a hundred, save our victim,

Chef. A dark history is shared between these two from when they

served together during the slave trade days. Something occurred

when both were serving as lieutenants on the slaver Jupiter that

elevated our captain and threw our cook in shackles, until the two

were reunited just prior to this trip.

Second in command introduces us to Jonah Adams, a former slave

in the cane fields of Jamaica, Langhorne bought his freedom some

years back and took him under his wing as apprentice and cabin boy.

Adams was a sharp dressed officer, a stickler for details and

decorum, and regulations being followed. Suffice to say he ran a

tight ship, and rarely spared the crew from discipline. Many of the

crew, not so secretly showed their disrespect and unhappiness with

his position on the ship, but none to the extent that Chef

employed. Adams had to be ever vigilant to only consume what the

bulk of the crew ate and drank from communal servings, lest he risk

another attempted poisoning at Chef's hand at the Captain's

table, which had been alleged on more than one occasion.

Lieutenant Walker, our next player, hails from Tennessee. Exiled

from his family plantation for having "relations" with a house servant

that resulted in a pregnancy that cast a bad light on his family in his

former circles. Rather than bearing his responsibilities he blames his

mistress's pagan wiles for his misconduct. He constantly undermined

Adams' authority within the ranks, and it was said amongst the crew

that he and Chef were conspiring to eliminate the XO by any means

necessary.

Chief Medical Officer Gerald Faulkner was a Hessian expatriate

the crew of the Alexander found adrift in the wreckage of his

former vessel, the Ausgezeichnet, an explorer ship that was

cataloguing new venomous species of spiders in the islands in the

area. Only being on board for a few weeks now, he has already

proved to be a valuable asset to the crew, in particular Adams, due

to mysterious gastrointestinal distresses that the XO suffered

rather regularly. Because of his regular ministrations to Adams,

Chef regularly employed bullying and derogatory comments

regarding the doctor's heritage and racial allegiances. In an

overheard off hand comment, Faulkner was quoted as saying how it

would be a shame for one of his sample venomous spiders

'accidentally' escaped in the galley.

Lastly for our cast, is Entrepreneur and passenger Duncan

Lachlan, a tobacco and hemp plantation owner, amongst other

things, is aboard ship overseeing his products and traveling with

them to market. A rather jovial, frumpish gentleman from the Isle of

Sky, he finds adventure in the New World, as he affectionately

refers to the Americas "vastly preferable to the dank that creeps up

the kilt". He is always seen with his Dutch clay pipe dangling from

his mouth, as to how he kept it lit constantly was one of the prime

idle discussions amongst the crew. A flask always at his side, he was

never shy to pull a cork nor pass it about to whomever might join him

for a wee dram and a long conversation. His flask seemed

bottomless, his smile and jokes unending. Chef claimed no one

could be that happy and not have something afoot......

This should get some brain juices flowing, eh? And hey, there had

to be a pipe smoker somewhere in the saga/mystery. Let the

pondering commence, chapter one will unfold on the 'morrow!
Back to top Go down
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 28, 2018 12:14 pm

Hmmmm
Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 28, 2018 12:54 pm

I'll throw my hat into the ring.

Jim
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 28, 2018 1:03 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
I'll throw my hat into the ring.

Jim

Welcome aboard the Alexander!
Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 28, 2018 3:15 pm

Well, I aint been sailing for a while... IN!
Back to top Go down
GrampaGrossbart

GrampaGrossbart

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 28, 2018 5:39 pm

The only thing better than a closed room mystery is a closed room mystery before the mast! This tarshirt’s swapping out his bandana for a thinking cap...
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 28, 2018 6:02 pm

Stick wrote:
Well, I aint been sailing for a while... IN!

Greetings sir, you are well met!
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 28, 2018 6:03 pm

GrampaGrossbart wrote:
The only thing better than a closed room mystery is a closed room mystery before the mast! This tarshirt’s swapping out his bandana for a thinking cap...

Aye, sir!
Back to top Go down
fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

Registration date : 2013-01-11

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 28, 2018 7:44 pm

I don’t see me a plank but I guess I could sure build one for the culprit!
banjo
Back to top Go down
http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/directory#.UOxnWne3ofw
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 7:07 am

fishnbanjo wrote:
I don’t see me a plank but I guess I could sure build one for the culprit!
banjo

OK...here’s your “plank”.

The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 5ea15710

The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 D6bddf10The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 29400910The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 114e6110The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 Ddb39b10The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 Cf77ce10The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 Dd692012The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 Cowboy11
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 8:36 am

OK...something is nagging at me just a bit. Please forgive me in advance here as this is very likely an unnecessary caution. I know most of you pretty well and don’t have huge concerns that any of you would purposely say something “politically incorrect “. But due to various themes, settings and characters in this little drama, please be sensitive so as not to inadvertently post anything that might be construed as ‘racist’ by other members. This isn’t a threat or warning...just a reminder to exercise prudence. Thanks.

The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 D6bddf10The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 29400910The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 114e6110The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 Ddb39b10The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 Cf77ce10The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 Dd692012The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 Cowboy11
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 8:48 am

No worries, guv'ner, Wink
Back to top Go down
fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 9:39 am

That thought never even was a threat of coming from my fingers in the the manner that concerns you Squire.
banjo
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 10:47 am

Yeah, I know. Just sort of a disclaimer thing.

Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 11:06 am

"Enter!"

"Pardon me sir," the deck hand replied. "Watch reports we are officially out of sight of land, and Lieutenant Walker says we are on course for Scotland by way of Greenland."

The captain looked up from his log and seated his pen. "Very good. But why are you bringing this to me? Where is the XO?"

The hand relpied, "Sorry sir, the XO is down again in his bunk. Something is wrong. He's spilled his supper on the fore deck this morning, and he was last seen making his way to quarters. Lieutenant Walker has the Watch until he can be relieved sir. Begging your pardon sir, the Lieutenant is looking a bit red in the eye and could stand a relief. Shall I wake Yeoman  Smyth?"

Langhorne rose from his desk, and gently closed his log book. Looking up, he smiled slightly shaking his head and replied, "No, I will see to the day Watch after I check on our XO. See that the good Liuetenant is made aware I will be on deck shortly. Thank you, that is all," and with a dismissive wave he turned for his tailcoat and peaked cap. "Stand fast son," he said, "How is the climate this morning?" The mate replied, "No more brisk than in here sir."

Thank you again, carry on" Langhorne said as he replaced the scarf he had removed from it's hook. With that, he stepped out of his cabin and headed up the stairs. It was a walk along midship to the XO's wardroom. A truly bothersome affair to our captain, as it required a maze of aknowledgements, greetings, and salutes, turning an otherwise short walk into something akin to making one's way through a cotillion. Why the XO chose his quarters away from the captain's was another mystery. The ship's carpenters had a bit of work converting that space into something habitable. Adams complained that the night watch boot heels and conversation was easily heard through the deck and it distracted him from sleep. No matter, thought the captain, a morning constitutional does a body good, eh?

He entered Adams's cabin and was greeted with the smell of partially digested food. Adams was snoring, and ocassionally coughing. 'Better to let him lay and rest', the captain thought. As he closed the door however, Adams awoke with a start and shot out of bed, weaving slightly as he saluted Langhorne.

Terribly sorry sir," he mumbled. "Am I late for my watch sir?"

"Relax Jonah, you look a dreadful sight. I assume it the guts again?" the captain replied. "Shall I send for our good doctor, or would a visit from our resident entertainment committee be of better service? Perhaps one of his 'wee drams' may help?"

Adams smiled weakly and said, "Lord no Cap'n, not anoddah moment with dat chatterbox would spare I suffering. Indeed, I gwine require a freesh bucket for my bedside eef dat mon keep wavin' dat flask at me. What evil witch brew do he have in dat ting you figgah?"

"I believe Mr. Lachlan calls it Scotch," said Langehorne. "Evil it may be, but it seems to suit him well enough. At least the crew aren't inclined to tap his kegs in favour of our rum. More's the pity say I, our provisioning of that is always in short supply it seems."

Adams winced. "Even rum seems vile to me of late, sir. I and I have been so cautious aboot putting anything down der," holding his stomach. "I even got to where I have dee topmen gettin' my rations from dee gallay as day own, so I don't risk dat rascal of a cook slippen' in hees 'special mix' in mah portions. Steel no joy doh, sir."

"I know you and Chef are not chummy Jonah. I have spoken with him on several occasions regarding his, um recipes. Indeed, I even relieved him of the arsenic he uses to keep the rodents down, so it cannot possibly be that. Perhaps we should have procured another cat for this voyage?" the captain smiled.

Oh no," said Adams. "You recall what happened to our last feline?"

Langhorne threw his head back laughing. "That's right!" he exclaimed. "Didn't it end up being cooked by that other passenger? What was his name again?"

"Adams was hees name, sir," Adams replied, smiling big now. "John Adams."

"I know I asked before. Are you sure there's no relation to you?" Langhorne queried. "You two did seem rather similar."

This time it was Adams's turn to laugh. "Ooh, yah mon, dat's eet. Dat mon was white as new canvas and two feet shortah den me! Shiney head and all, one could shave in dat reflection! Hahahaa, No way, no way. And den heem eat dat cat like eet was honey, you see dat?"

"No, thankfully I missed the scene, but it made a great log entry. So, can I convince you to relieve the day Watch commander so I can get back to my logs? Assuming of course, you are able to stand. I'll sneak a bit of bread and tea from the galley and have it fetched to you when you assume your post. What say you to that?" With that, Langhorne extended his hand, where Jonah reached out and took it.  

"Aye sir, we have an accord."

With that, Langhorne turned and made his way to the galley. 'This will be another grand morning' he thought to himself. Chef was surley enough on a good day, and though there was a certain mutual respect stemming from their history, the two never quite saw eye to eye on things. But they always got along and had each other's back, back in the day. No better man in a scrape, Chef was. After the incident on the Jupiter however, Chef was always bitter about Langhorne getting an officer's tribunal and he the naval court. Having Chef on board made Langhorne feel as if it were at least a small compensation. As disagreeable as Chef was, he never disobeyed any order, followed, well, most strong suggestions given by our captain. With this possible exception regarding Adams and his relationship with the crew as a whole. 'Perhaps this morning will be different', thought Langhorne. 'Perhaps Chef will have changed his demeanor a tad and will be, um, civilized.' Holding that thought, he entered the galley, only to find it empty. 'Even better,' he thought. 'I'll just grab this crust and a flaggon and be on my way.' He made his way to a locker where Chef kept anything he wanted safe from vermin, and promptly tripped over something on the floor. In the dim light  coming from the doorway he could just make out it was Chef's cleaver, sticking into the floor as if dropped there and it landed, handle up. He pulled the knife out of the deck with some effort, and admired the heft of the blade. He then found the butcher block Chef used and sunk it into the wood solidly. 'This could do some damage,' thought Langhorne. 'But where is Chef? No fire going in the oven, and there should be bisquits or porridge cooking.' Then it occurred to him that perhaps Chef was below decks in the stores pulling something for a meal. Yes, that must be it....

When Langhorne returned topside, he saw Adamas was at his post, and the day crew was at task, all was well. Adams recieved the bread and water gratefully and after some light conversation the captain decided to return to his logs. Almost to his cabin he remembered he was curious as to where Chef was, and began asking about for him. Apparently, no one had seen him, but as it was past shift change, maybe someone on the night crew had laid eyes on him.  One thing was certain, there was no breakfast to be had, and the crew was feeling it. Langhorne decided to rouse the crew and have them conduct a search of the Alexander.

Chef was nowhere to be found.................

Last edited by Ozark Wizard on Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 12:19 pm

Chef was nowhere to be found...

Dun Dun DUN!

Back to top Go down
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 12:46 pm

Hmm I feel as if a mystery is a foot. No I need to get a Sherlock Holmes pipe just to participate Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 12:52 pm

Brilliant, my dear Ruth. Capitol. Eh wot?

Back to top Go down
fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 1:25 pm

Armed with the proper equipment The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 45621973961_c7285609b9_z_d A sleuthing I shall go! The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 44897414754_d806cbfd09_z_d
banjo
Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 3:20 pm

'Excellent!', I cried.
'Elementary', said he.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 4:00 pm

Have to admit, if this all came from the fertile brain of our Ozzie it's masterful in execution thus far in all respects. Including and especially the dialogue.

The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 Latest?cb=20160808065707

Cheers,

RR

The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 Purple11x 2The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 Bombx10  The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 Bombx8 The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 D6bddf10 The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 Cowboy13

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 4:21 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Have to admit, if this all came from the fertile brain of our Ozzie it's masterful in execution thus far in all respects. Including and especially the dialogue.

The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 Latest?cb=20160808065707

Cheers,

RR

Well, shucks..... Embarassed

What's really been rough on the ol' Bean is that I wake up in the morning, do my chores, then sit down with my coffee and pipe and start writing in Notepad and hope it flows. Copy and paste.... I had something written and saved, but then my computer crashed and I lost it all.... So I'm kind of writing this quick draw style.... Please bear with me..... Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 4:29 pm

fishnbanjo wrote:
Armed with the proper equipment The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 45621973961_c7285609b9_z_d A sleuthing I shall go! The Butcher of BoB - Page 2 44897414754_d806cbfd09_z_d
banjo

Back to top Go down

The Butcher of BoB
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: Community In Action-
Jump to: