HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

The Butcher of BoB

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Timbo

Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 12:44 am

Enjoying the story so far Wiz, splendid effort here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 1:07 am

He’s like an Arthur Conan Louis Stevenson!

The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 D6bddf10The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 29400910The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 114e6110The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 Ddb39b10The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 Cf77ce10The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 12:46 pm

Hi ho folks! I haven't forgotten chapter two of our mystery. After my doctor's appointment and a trip to the post office I'll get home and weave the next pattern in our tapestry!

Thank you for you patience......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarBeagle

BriarBeagle

Registration date : 2016-11-08

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 12:48 pm

Wiz,

Are you taking pre-orders for your novel? Put me down for a copy. cheers

BB
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 4:23 pm

BriarBeagle wrote:
Wiz,

Are you taking pre-orders for your novel?  Put me down for a copy. cheers

BB

Embarassed

Second chapter now working!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 5:56 pm

Yes, top job Wiz. You're a busy chap and this is an extensive piece of work that I would imagine is taking a good deal of your time.

A big thank you from me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 6:04 pm

Chapter 2. The drill, and a Scotsman's Perspective.

"Right, men! We are short a crewman on a craft just over twenty paces! How many eyes does it require to locate a man?" Langhorne barked. A couple of hours had passed with the entire compliment searching, to no avail. Early on it was suggested that perhaps Chef fell overboard, and after questioning the night crew it seemed possible, but unlikely. Chef was not prone to being on deck after policing the mess after supper. More often than not, he spent time in private studying school readers and learning to write. His bearth was known to be covered in papers with scripts and occasional drawings. This, and no one claimed to have seen him, prompted Langhorne to examine Chef's things for some clues.

"Everywhere has been searched then?" asked Langhorne. "Bilge, ballast, everywhere?"  

"Aye sir," replied Adams, "De crew been all ovah dis boat, and no trace o' dat miscreant been turned up. May be dat he done fell off deh boat and doze bod feesh take heem. You may be wantin' turnabout and look Cap'n?"

"And where would we look first, eh Jonah? The currents are at our back and the winds from the west." The captain's look of distress was evident. "We have a commissioned trip on board, and winter is at our boot heels. And with current and speed of sail we must have travels over two hundred miles or better from the last time Chef was spotted aboard ship! Dammit!!" With that, Langhorne threw up his hands, and briefly waved them about. Drawing them down, his hands balling into a fist, shaking slightly, he jammed them into his pockets and abruptly turned from his XO and walked off to the fordeck, shaking his head as he went.

"Ordahs, sir?", shouted Jonah after him. Langhorne didn't even turn, nor stopped, shouting into the wind, "Maintain course and speed, Exec! Carry on!"

As Langhorne approached the fo'c'sle, only the sound of the water peeling around the hull and the wind were his companions. Langhorne swam in his thoughts, emotions flitted about like autumn leaves dancing in a whirlwind. 'Chef, dammit, Chef', he muttered to himself.

"Are you planning on jumping too Captain?" said a voice from behind him. Langhorne closed his eyes, grasped the railing tight, and replied, "No Lieutenant Walker, just clearing my head. Can I help you with something?"

"Whah no, suh, I was juss curious regardin' yo approach to ourah current predicament. Massah Jonah says we ain't goin' back fo one of ourah own, in fayvuh of ourah passengah's alacrity to get his products to mahket. Am ah to presume that is correct and true suh?" Walker replied. Langhorne winced. 'Good Lord, why is it there is never a crew without some sort of descent in the ranks?' he thought to himself. Turning away from the sea, Langhorne faced the lieutenant, and said, "I REALLY wish you would stop calling him that, George. He is your XO, and thus your cammanding officer. If I hear of you using that term again you will recieve five lashed at the mast. Am I understood, Lieutenant?"

"Whah, of course, suh, of course. Ah don't mean nuthin' bah it, ahmz juss havin' a bit o' fun is all. But, but, beggin' the Cap'n's pahdun, suh, mah question regardin' the cook's loss? So, we ain't goin' back to search?"

'This moment was bound to come,' thought Langhorne. More of it too, until he decides to address the whole compliment. It seemed as good a time as any, and anguishing over the decision wasn't going to change it. "No", he said. "Assemble the crew mid deck, I will make the announcement. Have someone fetch up Mr. Lachlan as well. I want everyone present. Ask the XO to call down the riggers please.  Ask. That is an order lieutenant." Langhorne turned back to the view. 'Ah, Chef...'

Almost an hour later, Langhorne faces the crew assembled. It took a while for the shipmates to set sails and rigging to require little watching for the moment.

"Where is Mr. Lachlan?" he asked loudly.

"Am roit herre Ship Master!" cried out a voice in the crowd. Langhorne could just make out a pudgy hand flailing about in the midst. "Dinna ken yah see me? Doon herre!"

"Mr Lachlan, would you please join me up here?" Langhorne shouted down to the hand. "I want to ensure you hear me!"

The group parted to allow the Scot to make his way up to the navigation deck. Lachlan stopped at the foot of the steps, pipe in hand, and put it in his mouth, and proceeded to grasp the rail, at which point, the pipe turned sharply upside down, causing him to jerk his hand up to right the pipe and try a different purchase on it with his lips. Satisfied, he nodded and then reached for the rail again. After the first step up, the pipe began to slowly turn over again. Lachlan stopped dead in his tracks, grasped the rail with his other hand, and began to fidget with the clay again with the first hand. A quiet chuckle washed over the assembled crew, at which point he looked over his shoulder and laughed back at them, "  Aye, meh teuchter maw bore me a corriejukit. Ah dinna ken grasp nil otherwise!" The crew just snickered between themselves, 'What did he say?', 'Yes, but what is he saying?'....

"Perhaps you could stow that pipe a moment while you make your way up, sir" Langhorne suggested. Lachlan turned to him, grinning, replying "Aye, ah cood, but noo the now. Get on weeyah speech, ah ken hear ye jess foin from here", and with that, he plopped down on the steps and lit his pipe with a magnifying glass he produced from his vest pocket. 'So that's his trick', thought Langhorne. 'Europe truly is a haven for the sciences!'

"Very well then", Langhorne said loudly, "You are all now aware we have misplaced our cook. It seems apparent that he is no longer aboard ship. As we have no idea when he disappeared and our position relative to our loss, I have decided that we are to continue our commission and course, in deferrance to attempting a location and rescue. So. That puts us prospecting for a new cook amongst ourselves. I want a show of hands from you as to who has experience in a galley? Hands up!"

No one.

"Come, come, surely some one of you can cook! Be lively now! Any one of you?"

No one. Up came that pudgy hand, this time from  the steps.

"Aye Ship Master, Aye ken heat food, even bake bannock! Ah am'nae the best cook, bit ah dinnae burn muckle 'n' ye wilnae be hungert afterwards! Forby, a'm better company than th' cook wis 'n' na yin need fear poisoning!", he said, looking right at Adams. Suddenly, he rose up, and began to scamper off to the galley, without so much as a 'by your leave'. Langhorne looked at his bewildered crew, shook his head and proclaimed to those assembled, "Gentleman, it seems we have a new cook. Anyone who can translate, see the XO or Lieutenant Walker for menu suggestions and get them to the galley. I will be in my quarters working on the logs. Back to it gentlemen, we have somewhere to be to get paid! Mr. Adams, a word."

Adams approached Langhorne from the wheel, still wobbling. "Are we feeling better Jonah?" Langhorne asked. "A bit, sir. Wot was dat aboot, dat Scotsman? He gwine be our new cook?" said Adams.

"It appears so. If I understood him correctly, I think he said he knows how. Apparently willing to to boot, judging by the way he beelined to the galley. He did say something about poisining, maybe he thinks he can do a better job of it than Chef in removing you from the roster!" Langhorne replied through a big smile.

"Dat's not eeven funny, sir" pouted the XO. "Bot serious sir, do you tink Chef dun fall off dem boot, or may be heem get help swimmin' wid dem bod feeshes?"

Langhorne looked straight into Adams's eyes, searching, and asked quietly, "Do YOU think he got help? Speak plainly Jonah, if you know what happened to Chef, I need to know now, before rumours catch spark. Do you know what happened to Chef?"

Adams looked right back without flinching. "No sir, I'm having no knowledge of wot happen to dat ugly mon. But I say good riddence. You know dehr ees no love lost wid us. But I gwine say dis. We both be undah your flag, sir, and I respect you choices. Any udder Cap'n I had cut dat mon's eyes out and feed dem to dose feeshes on hooks. But not wid you sir. Heem now widdout deez problems heem left us. May be yousa ask Lieutenant Walkah, dat was hees watch. Ask heem like yousa ask I and I. Heem turn an eye, heem a liah..

"Carry on, XO," Langhorne replied. "If anyone needs me I'll be in my cabin."

"Workin' on dem logs, sir?" Adams said through a big smile.

"Yes," a fleeting smile back. "The logs."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 7:01 pm

Assuming we need to know the niceties of what the hell is going on...dis’s gwine be a doozie.

I’ve started a white board with characters, suspects, arrows and clues. Now all I need is a dialect translation manual.

Laughing

The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 D6bddf10The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 29400910The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 114e6110The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 Ddb39b10The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 Cf77ce10The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 7:09 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Assuming we need to know the niceties of what the hell is going on...dis’s gwine be a doozie.

I’ve started a white board with characters, suspects, arrows and clues. Now all I need is a dialect translation manual.

Laughing

So, apparently, does the crew.......... Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarBeagle

BriarBeagle

Registration date : 2016-11-08

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 7:24 pm

The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 Cf674e10

Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 7:43 pm

Frankly I believe Ozzie should have established himself in the hallways of the great paperback mystery writers of this day and age.  

This stuff is without peer in all aspects!

bounce

Cheers,

RR

The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 Purple11x 2The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 Bombx10  The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 Bombx6The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 D6bddf10 The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 9:57 pm

I can provide translations if anyone needs them. No worries.... study
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2018 3:15 pm

Chapter three, Log Books and Snooping.

Log entry, October 31st. Day seven of our voyage. Our last course change has us moving northeast from St Johns, Newfoundland toward a whaling port on the southern tip of Greenland who's name escapes me at the moment. Current and prevailing winds are now both at our backs, so we've set full sail for down rigging and at full speed ahead. Several days have past since the loss of Chef.. The crew is in good spirits, though there have been complaints regarding our new voluntary cook's choices of recipes and cooking practices. I am inclined to agree. Must everything be boiled and salted to death? Some of the crew have taken to spear fishing the bow for sport and alternative menu items, using modified harpoons. Their aim is wanting. Interviews of the crew have enlightened the mystery of what happened to Chef have not proved fruitful, so I have gathered his beongings to my cabin for examination.

Langhonre looked at the stacks of papers. Crumpled sheets and scraps of various stuffs, almost entirely covered with scribbles, drawings, etc. Most of what he found in their contents were akin to a child's school work. A line of 'A's', 'B's', 'C's', and the like. Others with words like 'boat', 'crew', 'tea'. A tattered bible was also among the belongings. As Langhorne opened it, some pages fell out, some dog-eared, many with lines under passages or circled. Most of the pages were littered with cliff notes. As Langhorne went through the pages, he bagan to note a pattern, a focus, in Chef's notations.

Sin. Forgiveness of sin. Slavery.

'Ugh', thought Langhorne, 'the conscience of a man can be his curse, old friend', as he begun to lay out the pages as if they were a puzzle to assemble without defined edges. After a while they covered the mapping desk in the center of the room. A knock on his door made him look up.

"Enter!" That was a mistake. As the door swung open, the wind burst in and flung the papers all about the room, a flurry of action as autumn leaves dancing in a gale.

"Secure that hatch!" Langhorne shouted as Lieutenant Walker came in. Walker quickly shut the door and began helping Langhorne collect the roughly strewn paper and pages from around the room.

"Beggin' the Cap'n's pahdon, suh, ah apologize fo' the intrusion," Walker said. "Ah noticed Chef's bunk was cleaned out and one o' the crewmen said you wuh gatherin' it up in here. Can I be of assistance suh?"

Langhone looked up at him from under the desk, wads of papers in his hands, and replied, "Indeed so Leftenant. First, you may help me up from under here," extending a hand to Walker, who reached out promptly and dragged his captain to his feet. Now upright, Langhorne continued, "Now, if wouldn't mind finding that box of chart pins around here to secure these papers while I attempt to resort them," waving his hand about the room. "They're around here somewhere."

"Aye, suh," said Walker, who walked straight to the captain's desk, opened the first drawer and produced the box of pins. Langhorne nodded, "Now pin down the papers as I set them down." Walker nodded again, and began pinning down the papers and pages. At one point, looking at one of Chef's spelling practice pages, he smiled. This was not missed by Langhorne.

"What do you find amusing?" he asked sharply. Walker looked up bemused. "This page suh. Ah remembuh helpin' ol' Chef with this 'un mahseff. He was actually pretteh prideful about this one, suh. He gottem all down himseff without mah coaxin'."

"You were teaching Chef to write?" asked Langhorne. Walker smiled faintly and replied, "Yessuh, readin' too. He was pretty embarraassed about not havin' an edduhcation suh. Ah did my paht to hepp him as ah could. That bible was all he had fo readin' mahterials, ah told him that was jess fine, my pappy tought me readin' out a bible jess like that 'un, and ah can read and write. It'sa new wuld out there suh, a man hasta read and make his marks these days, idden that so?"

"It seems so, yes," Langhorne answered. "So, those times the crew saw you both together, that was when you were helping Chef?"

"Whah suhtenly, suh. Chef didn't want no one to know he was book learnin'. You've known him longuh than ah, would you not say he was a solitary man, suh?" replied Walker. "Now ah know the crew was thinkin' he and ah wuh tryin' to kill the ni-, um, XO, but that juss iddent so suh. Juss 'cause a man don't like a man, there ain't no cause to be a killah. Ah was showin' that to Chef in that there bible too. Killin' ain't no good fo' the soul, cap'n."

Langhorne thought on that a bit while they sorted the rest of the papers. "What was Chef's reaction to that?" he finally asked.

"Oh, suh, that hurt him bad inside," Walker said. "Ah could see in his eyes that was a shahp point in his chest. He ast me if that meant he was goin' to Hell suh. Ah didn't know what to tellim. Ah think ah said sumppin' about Wrath o' God or sumppin' 'round abouts that. That's about the time he stahted writin' those lettahs."

"What letters?" asked Langhorne, as he bagan rummaging through the few papers left not tabled, "I see no letters here. Do you have them?"

"No suh. When he stahted writin' letters, he stopped showin' me his wuhk. Ah rekunn he kept 'em close to his chest, as when ah'd see him writin on them he'd tuck em' into his shuht as someone would be gettin' close to him. Ah ast him a time or two whut he was a'writin' an he'd juss say 'lettahs'. Ah'd say 'what kine and he'd juss say 'prahvat'. They ain't in hereah suh?" Walker said shuffling the few remaining papers and bits of still bound bible pages.

"I don't see them," said Langhorne. "Perhaps they are still on his person." Walker nodded. "Ah rekunn."

Another knock rapped on the door. The officers looked quickly at each other wide eyed, and as one, grabbed the coats on the hooks and threw them across the table just as the XO opened the door to come in. "CLOSE THAT DOOR!" they both shouted in stereo. Instantly, Adams slammed the door shut behind him as he entered the cabin. His apologetic smile was his preface.

"Beggin' yo gentlemen's pardon," tipping his hat as he spoke. "I tote yousa might be open to a suggestion from deh XO regahdin' dis mysterious mystery oof deh loss o' Chef? Wacha got hidin' oondah dem coats anyhoo?"

Langhorne and Walker glanced at each other, then looked back at Adams. "These are pages of Chef's belongings, Jonah," Langhorne answered as he uncovered the table. "We are trying to gain insight on Chef's state of mind and looking for clues as to who he might have been at odds with."

"Find anyting juicy?" queried Adams. "Any pitchas ofme hangin' from a tree, or heem trowin' me of deh boot, sir? Looks like he can make sounds wit dem scribbles too, yah? Heem been scribblin' bad spellin' at me?"

"Writing about you Jonah? No, not that we've found. You said you had a suggestion to solve the question of Chef's disappearance?" Langhorne replied. "Have you found any evidence, or has one of the crew come forward?" Adams shook his head in response. "Well then, out with it man! What do you suggest? A crystal ball? Summoning an angel from above?"

"Almost a beet o' both, sir," said Adams. Eef I haff de tings I need here on board, I and I can do a summoning off deh Chef's speereet, an' we can de ones doin' de askin', and den may be get dose ansahs from dee hosas' mowt, so to say. What say you to dat, sir?"

Walker stiffened upright at the table, glaring at Adams. "Divination, suh? Sumnin' up the dead, suh? That suh," shaking his finger at Adams, "is an abomination and a sin against the Almighteh! How dare you suh, how DARE you, I say!" He turned to Langhorne, "Tell meh you will not suffah such a request suh!" he implored. "Let the dead stay wheh they are. Ah've seen those Haitian and Jamaican voodoo practitionuhs suh. They are in league with the Devil suh!"

Langhorne raised his hands up, closed his eyes briefly, then lowered his hands to the table and looked at Walker. "Why are you so vehemently protesting this suggestion, sir? You never struck me as a particularly 'God fearing' man." He looked at Adams and motioned him to the table. "Come over here Jonah and let us discuss this matter in quieter tones, eh, gentlemen?"

"I would, cap'n sir, but my tails be caught in deh door," Adams replied. "Scuze me sir" he said as he removed his coat and left it on the floor. He ambled to the table, arms wrapped about his chest. "Eesa bit brisk, sir. No place for an Equitorial mon." Langhorne handed him his sweater from the desk chair. "Pull this on for the moment Jonah. Tell me more of this summoning. Lieutenant, mind your tongue until the XO is finished."

Adams went into the description of what his ceremony entailed,  the pieces, the setting, the time of night. Were we to have more time to go into the details before too long, I would. We shall then save those details for the ceremony itself, tonight, and the summoning of Chef's troubled spirit, and what answers lay in wait to help solve the mystery.....

Stay tuned for the next exciting chapter,

The Summoning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2018 6:15 pm

Howdy folks!

OK, so I have chapter four ready to post, buuut, I'm not going to put it up until around midnight.

Ooooh, very scary! Spooky business for our Halloween night!

Stand by!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2018 6:18 pm

[mops beads of sweat from brow]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2018 7:05 pm

The cleaver looks something like this....

The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 2018_h10
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2018 7:17 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
The cleaver looks something like this....

The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 2018_h10

In this, the inimitable Jesse Jones has outdone his previous mastery!

pirat

Cheers,

RR

The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 Purple11x 2The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 Bombx10  The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 Bombx6The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 D6bddf10 The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2018 7:33 pm

Yup. Figures I can't compete for it. Darn.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2018 10:27 pm

21:26 CST and no guesses.... I guess this is tougher than last year's mystery...

Too many details? Am I not getting to the point quickly enough?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 01, 2018 12:45 am

Good evening Ladies and gentlemen. Tonight's episode is in loving acknowledgement of our beloved Fatman.

Take care Brother, and Happy All Hallow's Eve....

Chapter 4, The Summoning.

"Good evening, Lieutenant," said Langhorne, as he opened the

door. "Won't you come in?"

"I still think this is a bad idea, suh," Walker replied.  "Nuthin' good

will come of this."

"Yes, yes, find a seat at the table," as he nodded, "Find a seat, ah,

thank you for coming Mr. Lachlan. Please find a seat at the table,

there's a good chap," winked Langhorne to Lachlan, who was quick

on the heals of Walker.

"Ach, wail, aye! Ah wouldn't lassy this fur th' world! raising th' deid

is some trick!," Lachlan winked back. 'What a funny man', Langhorne

thought to himself, 'ah well, it takes all kinds, eh?' Lachlan then

pushed his way past Langhorne to the table. He chose a seat

between Walker and Adams, leaving two adjoining  seats for

Langhorne and Faulkner.

Faulkner was soon to arrive. As Langhorne received him he

complained about the cold and the time of day for this meeting. "I

vood azleep if ziss veren't so important to you, Herr Captain!"

Thank you for joining, Herr Doctor, please be seated,"

Langhorne answered.

Adams, meanwhile, is busy with his preparations. In the center of

the table was a small assemblage of items. A lit candle, small cloth

bag of something, a few bones and shells, and what looked to be

salt in a grinder. Five lanterns were hung about the room for

illumination. It was an exceptionally dark night, and thick with fog,

chocking what light spilled from the cabin windows. A steady breeze

and calm seas had the Alexander cutting through the water like a

sharp knife opening soft flesh. An unusually quiet evening.

Those at the table were glancing about nervously, silent.

Langhorne broke the silence with, "One could guess we weren't at

sea tonight! So, Adams, are we just about ready?"

"Iree sir, ready as can be. I done fetched my tings, and a ting from

Chef. Could fine no small tings, so I'm brought dis," and set down

the butcher block with Chef's blade still lodged in it. "I'm tried hodd

to draw dat blade, but heem stuck tight!" Langhorne smiled and

reached for the cleaver and, holding the block down, tried to pull it

forth. A second and third attempt availed him not. He leaned back

and sat in his chair.

"I believe we are ready then," he inquired. "Yah sir, we ready."

Adams replied.

Adams then reached for the bag on the table, muttering under his

breath, some rhythmic, vaguely melodic chanting. While doing so, he

slowly poured the contents of the bag around the items on the

table, until he made a complete circle. He then closed the bag and

set it aside. "While I and I are in speak, no mon speak. I am callin' to

Chef. Dehr be a pain in dis mon dat hole heem to dis boat. I call on

dis pain to draw fort deh spirit of Chef, join widdus and be in

speak!" with which he returned to his under breath chanting. The

others at the table looked around at each other. Walker looked

pale and nervous, as if he were going into battle. The doctor kept

looking over, then through, his spectacles at the collection of

artifacts on the table, and then studying Adams. Lachlan was

grinning about, looking quite delighted about the goings on in the

room. Langhorne closed his eyes, and began to wonder about the

whole idea when suddenly his chair heaved.

With his eyes snapping open, the first thing he saw was the cleaver.

Lachlan and the others gasped as the cleaver was slowly spinning

just above the block it was previously seated in. Adams, never

looking up, increases his volume. As he does, the speed of the

cleaver's spin gradually increased. A turn a second. Two turns a

second. Then three, then five. Almost at speaking volume now,

Adams speaks,

"Chef! Chef! I know you here! What happen you, Chef? What

happen?"

The blade spins faster now, almost a blur. "Captain! For the love

of God sir!" cried out Walker. Langhorne instantly raised a finger

to his own lips, 'hush', he thought to himself. Langhorne wanted to

see this through. It was a truly fantastic sight, this helicoptering

cleaver spinning at eye level now, well above the table. He noticed

the candle on the table. It didn't even flicker. 'Surely that's not

possible,' he thought. Suddenly, the blade stopped spinning, it's

head pointed right at Walker. Then a voice came from the blade,

"Thank you"

"Chef," Adams called out again, "Chef, Chef! What happened?"

The blade began to spin again, getting to speed much faster this

time.

Chef! Chef! What happened to you!" Adams called out.

The blade immediately froze, head pointed at Adams. The moment

froze. Adams licked his lips, and the voice came back,

"Forgive me"

Adams began to shake as the blade began it's rotation again.

Spinning and spinning, becoming a solid shining platter to the eye,

nothing but blade, spinning. Adams looked at Langhorne, then at

Walker.

"Chef! Chef! What happened to you Chef?" Adams again called

out. The blade froze, this time, pointed at Langhorne.

"Mine's the sin"

With that, the blade dropped to the table and firmly imbedded

itself back into the block with a sickening thud. The candle on the

table, blown out by the wake of air, a silent ribbon of smoke

lingering gave notice to what had just transpired. Langhorne then

watched Lachlan's eyes roll back in his head jut before the man

rolled out of his seat onto the floor, a pool of flesh. Faulkner

jumped over to him and felt for a pulse.

"It vood seem Herr Lachlan hass pazzed out, Herr Captain," He

pronounced.

"Then, help him up and to his quarters, if you don't mind,"

Langhorne replied. The doctor laughed shortly. "I appreciate your

confidence in mine strength, Herr Captain, but," as he tugged on

Lachlan's arm, "I vood be very surprised if three off us could manage

zat feat off engineering!" Faulkner rose up and finished with,

"Perhaps a goot blanket vere he lies vill do him vell enough! Iff zat iss

all gentlemen, I vill take mine leave. Danke' vor an interesting

evening!" He then closed his coat, opened the door and left.

Langhorne closed the door behind him and turned to his fellow

officers.

"What do you make of that Adams?" asked Langhorne. "I don't

think we got any answers from that bit of spookery. Very unsettling,

to say the least though, eh Walker?"

Walker had still not moved in his seat. He just sat there, breathing

shallow breathes of a man who was just spared the gallows. He

stared at the cleaver intently, as if waiting for something else to

happen.

"Lieutenant!" shouted Langhorne. Walker slowly turned his face

upward to Langhorne. In the lantern light, the captain saw tears

rolling down Walker's face. Langhorne opened his mouth to say

something, but just then Walker looked away, rose from his seat,

and wiped his face with his sleeve. He then turned to Langhorne.

"Puhmission to be releaved suh?" he asked.

"Permission granted lieutenant. Why don't you get some rack time.

The yeoman of the Watch will oversee this evening's balance. Take

some time." Langhorne said.

Walker sighed. "Yessuh, thank you suh," as he looked into

Langhorne's eyes. "Y'all rekunn that was reay him suh?" he asked.

Langhorne looked back as deeply and whispered, "Ah rekunn so.

Good night lieutenant." Walker stood tall, clicked his heels

together and threw a smart salute to the captain, who saluted back

with as much vigor as he could muster. Walker spun on his heels and

left the room, gently closing the cabin door behind him. Now, left

with his XO, his passenger passed out on the deck, and that cleaver

standing proudly in that block, he pulled out a chair to his desk and

produced a secreted bottle of spirits, and looked at his XO.

"Had enough spirits tonight Jonah, or are you willing to dabble

into some of mine?" he asked, waving the bottle slightly in Adams's

direction.

"What be gwine on in dat?" Adams asked, dropping into the

nearest chair to Langhorne, leaning forward slightly. Langhorne

chuckled a bit, saying, "It's from Kentucky Jonah. They call it

bourbon," while he popped out the cork and tipped it back to his

lips. A good pull later, he dropped it down between his knees while

he wiped his mouth on his coat arm. Looking up, he saw Adams

leaning farther over with his hand out, opening and closing.

Langhorne lifted the bottle slightly, with which Adams nodded

fervently. "Gimme dat glass meestah!" Then he looked serious. "No

rank, tonight den sir?" he asked. Langhorne nodded, then shook his

head.

"Yes, no rank tonight Jonah. So tell me. What do you think

happened?"

Adams leaned back in his chair and tipped the bottle. Langhorne

began to be alarmed at the flow of liquid going down and leaned

forward. Adams pulled the bottle down and handed it back to his

captain, then leaned back in his chair. A low pitched whistle came

out of him as he fanned his face with his hat. "Jah Rastafarie, dats a

smooth dangah dehr mon! I and I need no morrahdat!" Then he

leaned in close and whispered,

"I tell you what I tink......................."

What do you think?

Last edited by Ozark Wizard on Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WarlockBob

WarlockBob

Registration date : 2012-09-30

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 01, 2018 1:44 pm

Hrmmmmmm...................... lots to think on for this!

I'll hopefully have a guess put together by today or tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 01, 2018 7:14 pm

Yes, plenty to think about. The clues are all there though.....

Would y'all like another chapter? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 01, 2018 10:36 pm

Easy for YOU since you know the ending.

A guy could pick any of a half dozen characters and make a case for his choice
by filling in a bit of yet unknown exposition.

Humph.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timbo

Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 01, 2018 10:47 pm

Brilliant stuff Ozzie, a lot to cogitate upon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 01, 2018 10:48 pm

Alright folks, the next chapter will appear tomorrow, when the Alexander arrives in Greenland...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The Butcher of BoB
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: Community In Action-
Jump to: