The Butcher of BoB

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2018 6:10 am

scratch glad I'm  not a detective...the only thing I have figured out so far is that someone is missing lol. I guess I'll have to go back and reread lol!
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2018 5:05 pm

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen....

Unfortunately, demands upon my time today have become formidable, and the Muse has escaped me for the moment. Our last and definitive episode will be otherwise pending until the aquatic fowl are queued. Of note, one of the sleuths engaged in the discernment of our play has solved the puzzle before us correctly, and thus won the prize!

Whom might our victor be, you might ask?

Well, all will be revealed in our pending chapter. Until then, please enjoy this cute kitten picture......

The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 2e514d10

Last edited by Ozark Wizard on Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 03, 2018 3:35 pm

Chapter 5.   Greenland

Captain's log, November Third.

We have arrived at the whaling port of Nanortalik. The crew has begun unloading a portion of Mr. Lachlan's hemp and acquiring provisions for our second leg of our journey. Rumours and speculation abound amongst them regarding the occurrence on the evening of October 31st, though no one has directly approached me regarding the matter. Mr. Lachlan's demeanor has been quite subdued since then, as has Lieutenant Walker's. The good doctor seems nonplussed and has been carrying on per usual, and has expressed a need to go ashore to 'stretch his legs and do some shopping'. A rotation has been drawn up by the XO for crew wanting some shore leave, and so we plan on staying over until an impending weather feature has passed.

Our hosts have been very accommodating, and a few expressed interest in coming aboard for a tour of sorts, as they have expressed their admiration for the lines of the Alexander. I acquiesced to their requests in hopes to strengthen relations.

"Cap'n suh, Ensign Meriwether reports the ship is listing to port two degrees" reported Walker. "Puhhaps we should send a team below to readjust ouh ballast? Mistauh Lachlan's hemp shipmint was heaviah then we recunned, ah 'spose, and may have shifted."

"Very well," Langhorne relpied, "See to it, Lieutenant." Walker saluted and walked away shouting at some of the deck hands, "Look livelah men, we ah goin' below! You theh! Fetch up some lanterns and make the way cleah to the ballast bay!"

Langhorne looked out over the railing to the small town. On the beaches were laid out great beasts of the sea, the many men flensing the carcasses, butchers with carts scattered about, and rows of great trypots simmering the blubber down for the precious oil. 'There seems no end to the row upon row of whales ashore', he thought to himself. The harbour was teeming with activity as well, small craft going to and fro, from ship to shore, some ship to ship. Larger ships than the Alexander were present, some seem to dwarf Langhorne's. Flags of many nations were represented too. After a while he noticed a small craft approaching. Langhorne waved, and one man waved back. As they closed the distance, the man shouted up to Langhorne, "Permission to come aboard!?!"

Langhorne cupped his hands around his mouth. "Permission granted!" Then turned to one of the crew mending sheets, "You there! Prepare to accept guests. Run out the plank!"

"Aye, aye captain," the crewman replied and called to a few others to assist. As the boat pulled alongside, the gangway was extended down. The small craft heaved to and tied off while the lead man scurried up to Langhorne.

"Would you be Mister Langhorne," the man asked. Langhorne raised an eyebrow and smiled. "No", he replied, "That would be be my father. I am Captain Langhorne, master and commander of this vessel. And who might you be?" extending his right hand.

"I am Governor Thorsen, Governor and Harbormaster, 'Captain'," with which he produced some papers, consulted them and continued," I have spoken with a Mister Lachlan regarding his shipment, and according to his documents there are further items on board that will not be unloaded here, is this so?" Langhorne nodded and began to reply, where the Governor interrupted and continued, "And this balance of cargo is tobacco?"

"Yes," Langhorne answered quickly, "I believe Mr. Lachlan has a full manifest of his property that is onboard."

The governor peered up from his paperwork, "So 'captain', do you not also have a manifest regarding all items on this vessel?"

"Indeed I do," Langhorne replied, "Would you care to join me in my cabin so we may go over it together?" motioning behind him. Thorsen nodded and pushed past Langhorne towards the cabin, then turned, "Well?"

Langhorne proceeded the rude guest across the deck, when bursting forth from below came Walker and the crewmen, pale and fervently crossing themselves. Indeed, they almost ran the captain and governor over in their haste. Walker began with, "Good Lawd, Cap'n!...." where Langhorne interrupted him, "Ah, good, Lieutenant Walker! Let me introduce you to our host, Governor Thorsen. He is here to check on us and unsure we have our documents in order. It was kind of him to come aboard today, yes?"

Walker looked wildly about, then at Langhorne, who was staring intently at Walker, then at Thorsen. Quickly composing himself, he saluted the governor. "Welcome aboard suh! Thank you suh! Then looked at Langhorne and asked, "A word, Cap'n suh?"

"We were on our way to my cabin to go over the ship's manifest, Lieutenant, "said Langhorne. Walker grabbed Langhorne's arm. "Please suh, a moment?" Langhorne turned to his guest. "Will my First Officer be able to assist you with this Mister Thorsen? A captain's duties are ever present."

Thorsen glared at Langhorne. "Governor Thorsen, thank you very much. Oh, I suppose your first officer will be as competent as you in showing me papers." Langhorne shouted out to Adams, who was on the wheel deck, his eyes never leaving Thorsen's. "XO, front and center!"

Adams shot down to where the group was, approaching Thorsen from behind, and saluted. Langhorne smiled to Thorsen and motioned to Adams. "This is my second in command, Senior Lieutenant Adams. Adams, the Governor is here to check our manifests, I want you to show them to him and answer any questions regarding the manifests. If there is anything else he requires refer him back to me. Thank you."

Thorsen turned around to meet Adams and took several steps back, in doing so stepped on Walker's feet and almost fell. "Good Lord!" he exclaimed, with which Adams said, smiling, "No worries, Meestah Gov'nah sir, I and I geet dat reaction moe often den you tink. Dis weh, sir," motioning towards the captain's cabin. Thorsen tentatively followed Adams.

When they were a good distance away, Walker leaned into Langhorne, and hissed, "Suh, we found Chef." He is in thuh verah stern of the ballast stow."

Langhorne straightened sharply. "Alive?"

Walker shook his head. " No suh, he's quite passed on suh. It's a terrible saht suh. It'sa terrible saht. He cut his ahms suh, 'n blead himseff drah. Thuh smell too suh, it's bad. He had these in his  leff hand suh, and thuh knife that did the deed in his raht," as he passed several folded papers to Langhorne. "That one on top, suh, I think you should read that in privaht." Langhorne looked at Walker, then at the cabin with his 'guest' going over paperwork.

"I'll be on the foredeck, lieutenant, see that I'm not disturbed," he said and made his way forward. As he went, the other crewmen with Walker were visibly shaken and talking amongst themselves. Langhorne turned  to Walker. "Lieutenant, see to it those men are given a ration of spirits and sent to their quarters until our guest has departed. Now!"

As Walker saw to the men, Langhorne stood on the bow and opened up the bloody letter.

"I, Archibald Tanner, with great regret and sorrow, offer this letter to my frend and captin, Samule Langhorn, to God, and thoz whom I have ronged in my life. In my time of learning to read and rite, the holly book has tot me about what a good person is. I am not a good person, so I remove myself from being the berdun I am and go to my jujmint before God. My stuff can go to whoo wants it. I do not need it any more. Forgive me."

Langhorne's eyes began to tear up. He knew that Chef had been going through some hard times dealing with his past, but not to the extent of suicide. 'Perhaps he is a better place now,' he thought to himself. 'Rest easy Chef, rest easy'. He looked back to the main deck, and saw Adams pointing at Langhorne on the bow, apparently directing the Harbormaster to him. Langhorne went down to meet his guest and caught him at the gangplank.

"I trust everything is in order, Governor?" he said. Thorsen looked bored and replied, "I suppose so, 'captain'. Your manifests of Mr. Lachlan's property match his."

"So, very good then, sir," Langhorne said, extending his hand again. Thorsen looked at Langhorne's hand, then up at Langhorne. "Do not be dismissive with me, 'captain'. We are not finished here. I wish to examine the cargo. I noticed while approaching your vessel your craft is canted to your port side. Had you not noticed?" Thorsen looked at the sky and concluded, "Now is as good a time as any for an inspection. Shall we?"

DUN DUN DUUUNNNNNN!

So fellow BoB'ers, you have your answer. Chef killed himself over his guilty past, no longer able to bear his conscience.

Timbo made the correct guess and had good reasoning behind it! Congratulations Timbo!!! cheers cheers cheers

Thanks for playing, and tolerating my rather long winded composition!
Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 03, 2018 7:44 pm

Well played Timbo!

I had just got my note pad out and a Columbo style mac... Never mind... Perhaps next year?!?

A tip of the cap to the Wiz too. Great story exceptionally well written. Is there no end to this chap's talents?
Back to top Go down
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 03, 2018 10:08 pm

Good job Timbo. I'm so bad at these lol, I did thoroughly enjoy the story though.
Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 04, 2018 12:00 am

Congrats Timbo! Very well written Ozzy.

Jim
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 04, 2018 9:48 am

That story needs to be published. It's a great short story and very well executed in all ways.

And congrats Timbo. I'm crap at these things so opted out of playing.

Cheers,

RR

The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 Purple11x 2The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 Bombx10  The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 Bombx8 The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 D6bddf10 The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 Cowboy13

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
eggman
Cornholio
eggman

Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 04, 2018 11:10 am

Very good story. I am not much good at solving mysteries but enjoy reading them. Congrats Timbo.
Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 04, 2018 1:05 pm

I'm contacting Netflix...
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 04, 2018 2:06 pm

Thanks gentlemen. I tried to be as historically accurate as possible, so a person could trace down certain aspects of the story for reference. The ship Langhorne and Chef served on, the Jupiter for instance. The speed that the Alexander could sail I plotted, along with the course, currents and wind directions for this time of year. Also the whaling port in Greenland, which as it turns out was moved from it's original location to a sheltered harbor better suited to whaling is a real place.

Someone else pointed out that I should have started the story at the point the Alexander picked up Lachlan's cargo, and developed the rescue of the doctor from the drifting wreckage, thus developing those characters a bit more. And then, what of the end of the voyage, where they deliver the tobacco to Perth? Do they even get out of Thorsen's clutches? What of Chef's remains? They surely can't leave him the ballast to rot....

I dunno, I might have to consider fleshing out this story a tad more. It was just something I jotted down to get the mystery contest going, but as I worked on it the characters began to take on a life of their own. I just don't know. I haven't written much in a rather long time, so I feel a bit rusty.
Back to top Go down
BriarBeagle

BriarBeagle

Registration date : 2016-11-08

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 04, 2018 2:11 pm

Damn fine work, Wiz!

And a big CONGRATS to Timbo cheers
Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 04, 2018 5:50 pm

So, Wiz, can we book you for the next Halloween's mystery saga?!

All those if favour...
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 04, 2018 7:10 pm

Stick wrote:
So, Wiz, can we book you for the next Halloween's mystery saga?!

All those if favour...

Seconded.

Cheers,

RR

The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 Purple11x 2The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 Bombx10  The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 Bombx8 The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 D6bddf10 The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 Cowboy13

Back to top Go down
Timbo

Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2018 3:52 am

Thank you one and all for your kind regards and especially for Ozzies awesome authorial efforts. Over and above my good sir. Also a huge thanks to Jesse for creating such an outstanding and totally unique prize.

As for winning, I’m amazed I managed to deduce correctly as I’ve been way off on all our previous adventures, I suppose I can’t always be wrong, no matter what my kids say.

Thanks again to all involved, it has been a blast.

Cheers,

Tim
Back to top Go down
Timbo

Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2018 1:41 am

The cleaver arrived Friday but I've been too hectic over the weekend to post anything.

All I can say is WOW, just WOW.

Have a look at this sexy beast.

The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 Image110
The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 Image210
The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 Image310
The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 Image410
The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 Image510
The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 Image610

Jesse's imagination and skill shown in this piece is amazing to see and hold, for more details from Jesse, have a look here; https://www.blueroombriars.com/blogs/news/2018-jones-halloween-pipe

Smoked a bowl of Christmas Cheer when it arrived and it was a grand if short experience (the bowl is tiny) and I'll definitely have to organise the purchase of one of Jesse's more conventional pipes in the near future.

A huge thanks once again to one and all involved in this years Halloween event.

Cheers,

Tim
Back to top Go down
BriarBeagle

BriarBeagle

Registration date : 2016-11-08

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2018 1:45 am

Truly a one of a kind piece. Congratulations once again on solving the mystery, and also to Jesse for creating such an inspired pipe.
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2018 2:05 am

So coooooooollllll!!!!!

Yup, Jesse's quite the artist alright. Excellent work, and a great center piece for any pipe collection... Congratulations! cheers
Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2018 7:24 am

Well that's a creative interpretation of a smoking pipe. Looks remarkable!

Well done Timbo and a tip of the hat to Jesse and the prize organiser.

cheers
Back to top Go down
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2018 9:37 am

That pipe is nothing short of amazing!
Back to top Go down
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2018 11:23 am

Now that is really a smokin' cleaver!
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2018 11:49 am

Being a maker of both knives and pipes (using Mark Tinsky’s kits) I’m really blown away by the cleaver-Pipe. “One of a kind” hardly gives a sufficient description. The conception alone is just brilliant. The materials and “execution” (heh, heh) put this in the catagory of an item beyond price.

Congrats to TIMBO as the worthy and very lucky winner.

A huge shout-out to Ozzie for not only the idea, the writing and keeping up with the submission schedule...but I assume he funded the beast as well. Obviously, talent as big as all outdoors, and a heart to match.

The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 D6bddf10The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 29400910The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 114e6110The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 Ddb39b10The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 Cf77ce10The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 Dd692012The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 Cowboy11
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2018 8:24 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Being a maker of both knives and pipes (using Mark Tinsky’s kits) I’m really blown away by the cleaver-Pipe.  “One of a kind” hardly gives a sufficient description. The conception alone is just brilliant. The materials and “execution” (heh, heh) put this in the catagory of an item beyond price.

A huge shout-out to Ozzie for not only the idea, the writing and keeping up with the submission schedule...but I assume he funded the beast as well. Obviously, talent as big as all outdoors, and a heart to match.

Hear Hear!

And that is one totally unique pipe!

king

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2018 11:40 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Being a maker of both knives and pipes (using Mark Tinsky’s kits) I’m really blown away by the cleaver-Pipe.  “One of a kind” hardly gives a sufficient description. The conception alone is just brilliant. The materials and “execution” (heh, heh) put this in the catagory of an item beyond price.

Embarassed Thanks for the accolades folks, but if I'm interpreting the part of funding the pipe, I did not. I offered Jesse financial assistance for the shipping, and he declined. But he took on the pipe and design himself. He deserves full credit for it! A truly talented Carver!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2018 2:43 am

Jesse! HooAh!

cheers cheers cheers

The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 D6bddf10The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 29400910The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 114e6110The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 Ddb39b10The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 Cf77ce10The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 Dd692012The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 Cowboy11
Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

PostSubject: Re: The Butcher of BoB   The Butcher of BoB - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2018 8:22 am

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Blackhorse wrote:

Embarassed Thanks for the accolades folks, but if I'm interpreting the part of funding the pipe, I did not. I offered Jesse financial assistance for the shipping, and he declined. But he took on the pipe and design himself. He deserves full credit for it! A truly talented Carver!! cheers

Whoah.

That's a big deal. Not only is there the financial aspect - Jesse could have sold that piece for a good sum - but that piece would have taken a good deal of time to craft.

A big thank you to Jesse for supporting the shannanigans of the BoB Bombing Sqn.

Back to top Go down

The Butcher of BoB
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: Community In Action-
Jump to: