Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

4Noggins score Empty
PostSubject: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score EmptySun Oct 28, 2018 2:45 pm

I read somewhere that 4Noggins had tins of Balkan Sobranie for sale, so I looked. Sure enough, they did! One tin per customer, period. The only way to get two tins would be to create a new username and have it sent to a different address, use a different payment method, etc. I could handle that, but it was over twenty something bucks for fifty grams, and I already played that game with Stokkebye's 4th Generation's Tobacco of The Year.

I digress.............

Anyhow, I browsed the site a bit, and looked at my order history for giggles. Heavy sighs when saw the cancelled orders for some McClelland stuff they had listed as available but actually weren't during the Great McRush. One line I didn't recognize so I clicked the link. Ah yes, Benjamin Hartwell's Signature Blend. Got one back in the day. The option to reorder was there. I clicked the link again...........

I put two in the cart. Checked out. It processed for daaaaaayyyyyyssssss. Then, I saw a tracking number. I followed the package closely. I wondered if I did indeed get what I ordered, as I checked the day after ordering and saw it was once again OOS. The box arrived yesterday, with two well packed tins of Signature Blend, dated 2017.....

I'm almost afraid to open one now....
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

4Noggins score Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score EmptySun Oct 28, 2018 3:34 pm

Are we talking original tins of 759?
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

4Noggins score Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score EmptySun Oct 28, 2018 4:12 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:

https://www.4noggins.com/balkan-sobranie-balkan-sobranie-50-g.aspx

https://www.4noggins.com/balkan-sobranie-pipe-tobacco-2.aspx

https://www.4noggins.com/dunhill-standard-mixture-pipe-tobacco-1970-c-1-2-1-1-2-1.aspx

https://www.4noggins.com/capstannavycutmild50g-c-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1.aspx

yes indeed!
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

4Noggins score Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score EmptySun Oct 28, 2018 5:04 pm

$450!

That’s disgusting.

4Noggins score D6bddf104Noggins score 294009104Noggins score 114e61104Noggins score Ddb39b104Noggins score Cf77ce104Noggins score Dd6920124Noggins score Cowboy11
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

4Noggins score Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score EmptySun Oct 28, 2018 5:30 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Zeno Marx wrote:

https://www.4noggins.com/balkan-sobranie-balkan-sobranie-50-g.aspx

https://www.4noggins.com/balkan-sobranie-pipe-tobacco-2.aspx

https://www.4noggins.com/dunhill-standard-mixture-pipe-tobacco-1970-c-1-2-1-1-2-1.aspx

https://www.4noggins.com/capstannavycutmild50g-c-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1.aspx

yes indeed!
Ah, the ol' foil pouch. As much as I smoked 759, I don't think I ever bought one of those. As the prophetic Paul Simon said, "Preserve your memories. They're all that's left you."

I hope this doesn't come off as snarky or crappy, because I wish 4Noggins only success and good will, but does anyone else get pinged with the reflex that showing these tins at $300-400 sort of makes everyone involved look bad? Even if they're consignment tins and are prey to a formula to arrive at a price, eh.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

4Noggins score Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score EmptySun Oct 28, 2018 6:58 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:

Anyhow, I browsed the site a bit, and looked at my order history for giggles. Heavy sighs when saw the cancelled orders for some McClelland stuff they had listed as available but actually weren't during the Great McRush. One line I didn't recognize so I clicked the link. Ah yes, Benjamin Hartwell's Signature Blend. Got one back in the day. The option to reorder was there. I clicked the link again...........

I put two in the cart. Checked out. It processed for daaaaaayyyyyyssssss. Then, I saw a tracking number. I followed the package closely. I wondered if I did indeed get what I ordered, as I checked the day after ordering and saw it was once again OOS. The box arrived yesterday, with two well packed tins of Signature Blend, dated 2017.....

I'm almost afraid to open one now....

That Signature blend is mighty fine indeed. I've been through a couple tins and still have one lurking somewhere here that I'll have to ferret out. Must have at least 5 yrs on it by now.

Open and smoke it Ozzie, you'll be glad you did. After all, you now have 2. Lucky dawg!

Cheers,

RR

4Noggins score Purple11x 24Noggins score Bombx10  4Noggins score Bombx7 4Noggins score D6bddf10 4Noggins score 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d 4Noggins score Cowboy13

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Registration date : 2016-04-25

4Noggins score Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 11:47 am

I find it sad when retailers jack up prices like that on tobacco brands that are supposed to still be in production, even if some of them are not regularly in stock.

And, as for paying $450 for a so much bone dry tobacco that even when you rehydrate it, the taste is gone, only one thing comes to mind: I might be dumb, but I ain't stupid. clown
Back to top Go down
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

4Noggins score Empty
PostSubject: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 2:37 pm

Rich used to draw the line on some consignment prices...Jeff is more interested in $ than in pleasing his customers so it seems. Several I know of have sent emails to him...and get no reply. Rich had his faults to be sure, but he was a gentleman and a pleasure to do business with...more than once I'd call him to place an order and not using credit cards, I told him that I would mail a check...'bout the third time he would send it out before receiving said check...he knew that I was not gonna stiff him and that was customer service that kept me coming back to him.
Jeff, I won't do business with...just my personal feelings and not to be construed to throw shade on him. He is no Rich.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

4Noggins score Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 3:08 pm

Yeah...After Rich left, I’ve sent a number of emails and never received a response.

4Noggins score D6bddf104Noggins score 294009104Noggins score 114e61104Noggins score Ddb39b104Noggins score Cf77ce104Noggins score Dd6920124Noggins score Cowboy11
Back to top Go down
History Prof 1861

History Prof 1861

Registration date : 2016-10-16

4Noggins score Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 4:55 pm

Is there a preferred online tobacconist on the forum?

Back to top Go down
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

4Noggins score Empty
PostSubject: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 5:13 pm

I've heard that smokinpipes.com is pretty good. P&C will aggravate you to death.
Back to top Go down
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

4Noggins score Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 5:53 pm

pepesdad1 wrote:
I've heard that smokinpipes.com is pretty good.  P&C will aggravate you to death.

I have never had any issues with P&C, in fact I've always had pretty good customer service there.
Back to top Go down
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

4Noggins score Empty
PostSubject: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 6:05 pm

I've had them lie to me more times than I can count...last one was where they definitely, no question about it, had my tobacco set aside for the rest of the order to be filled...1 day later, Oops...no we are out of that item...what happened to you holding it in your hot lil hand for me?...well, we are out of stock for that item right now..yeah, OK.
Been on backorder for HH Burley Flake for 10 weeks...10 weeks, what's up with that? I can deal with most anything...but don't lie to me, one of your customers that used to order 'bout every month. That just seriously pisses me off. I am not the only one...I know of at least 4 other folks whom I talk to regularly that have had the same experience...maybe they just don't like customers whose last name starts with an F or an N or a G or a S. I've had enough as they have had...no more P&C...they can give it to me and I would send it back...I'm done!!
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

4Noggins score Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 7:10 pm

pepesdad1 wrote:
I've heard that smokinpipes.com is pretty good. P&C will aggravate you to death. 

sp.com is a class act IMHO. Never had a bad transaction with them, and their CS is second to none.

Can't really comment on P&C now, as I only had a few transactions with them before the ownership changed many years ago. And although their packaging methods were terrible, I got what I ordered.

Have not ordered from 4Nog since Rich retired. Say what you will about Rich, but he was very good to me and rustled up some JLP blends that had gone out of production at my request. And that was of course while he still had access to the components.

Cheers,

RR

4Noggins score Purple11x 24Noggins score Bombx10  4Noggins score Bombx7 4Noggins score D6bddf10 4Noggins score 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d 4Noggins score Cowboy13

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

4Noggins score Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 7:20 pm

Besides all this, some of the prices went up at 4noggins as well. I've simply stopped ordering from them.
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

4Noggins score Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 7:39 pm

Ah, well, prices are going up everywhere, no stopping that action... As far as P&C, of late I've not had issues.

I did open that Benjamin Hartwell. Been smoking it almost all day. I gotta find more when I get more funds....Very Happy
Back to top Go down
History Prof 1861

History Prof 1861

4Noggins score Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 8:06 pm

Ozark you are correct prices are going up everywhere best I’ve seen is 2.95 an ounce for Dunhill at jungle Jim’s in Cincinnati. But I wonder how much of the price rise is due to the changes mandated by the government.
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

4Noggins score Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 8:14 pm

Smoking Pipes is more than competitive with P&C, at least where I've looked, and often with sales etc, they're THE place to shop. They get more and more of my business all the time. P&C does have a greater selection though. Sometimes, you just have to bite it.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

4Noggins score Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 8:17 pm

Having second thoughts about this whole thing. Everyone has experiences with this or that vendor that are good, or great or...yeah, not so much. It’s a shame when one customer has a string of poor experiences certainly. But nobody’s perfect, not even close. I just don’t like a “bash fest”. What IS good is for some poor bloke to realize he’s not the only one it’s happening to. But we can likely ALL pull up some unsavory story or stories. Stuff happens...nobody likes it...you, me OR the vendor. To me it’s more what a vendor does after the fact. If you don’t like a certain site, feel you’ve been treated badly there...vote with your proverbial feet...go elsewhere. I’ve done that on a few occasions. Hope I don’t have to again. We’ll see.

Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

4Noggins score Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 8:25 pm

uh, I was just happy to get something I liked while looking for something else. I guess I shouldn't post about that. Didn't expect the bashing! We have other threads for that... Wink
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

4Noggins score Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 8:28 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
uh, I was just happy to get something I liked while looking for something else. I guess I shouldn't post about that. Didn't expect the bashing! We have other threads for that... Wink

No, you did nothing wrong at all. It was a clear hijack.

Back to top Go down
History Prof 1861

History Prof 1861

4Noggins score Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 8:33 pm

Sorry I didn’t mean to hijack the thread.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

4Noggins score Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 8:38 pm

History Prof 1861 wrote:
Sorry I didn’t mean to hijack the thread.

Oh, we all do it on occasion. Threads seem to have a life of their own...they’re born, they grow, they change direction, they die. It just feels bad when a well intentioned thread turns ugly...cutting and slashing like a John Carpenter movie. Ooh! There’s a cyber punk horror movie in there somewhere!

Back to top Go down
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

4Noggins score Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 7:19 am

Blackhorse wrote:
Having second thoughts about this whole thing. Everyone has experiences with this or that vendor that are good, or great or...yeah, not so much. It’s a shame when one customer has a string of poor experiences certainly. But nobody’s perfect, not even close. I just don’t like a “bash fest”. What IS good is for some poor bloke to realize he’s not the only one it’s happening to. But we can likely ALL pull up some unsavory story or stories. Stuff happens...nobody likes it...you, me OR the vendor. To me it’s more what a vendor does after the fact. If you don’t like a certain site, feel you’ve been treated badly there...vote with your proverbial feet...go elsewhere. I’ve done that on a few occasions. Hope I don’t have to again. We’ll see.

Sure, absolutely. But incidents are happening more and more. I have had issues with smokingpipes.com more than once. A few examples : I see a gap between the stem and the shank on a pipe. I send an email asking if it's a trick of the light or is there a gap? They say no, no, it's flush. When I get the pipe, there is a gap, it's not flush. Another time, I order a Stanwell, there is a very ugly discoloration on the acrylic stem. It's easily visible under minimal light so they can't have missed it. But it's not visible on the website and it's not mentioned. So I had to return the pipe. Then I ordered a meerschaum and there was this thing partially blocking the stem's airway. I could never remove it or get a proper smoke out of it. So, 3 strikes, you're out. Very Happy
Speaking of story, here's another one. How about an order I placed in GB for some Condor and Walnut Flake (now Original Flake). I received Mac Baren Navy Flake in lieu of the Walnut. Contacted the seller, joined pics and asked for the tobacco I ordered. The person says our apologies, I am sending you right away the Mac Baren Navy Flake, can you send back the tobacco (2 packs). I say nooooo, don't send that again (did she read my email? Did she look at the pics?), send what I ordered, the Walnut Flake. I am told they don't sell Walnut Flake, what I ordered is Navy Flake. I have to explain that Walnut Flake is now Original Flake and that they do sell it (I join the link to their website showing a pic of the WF) and that it's what I ordered, thus what I want. I'm told ok, would you mind sending back the tobacco? As there is no mention of reimbursing my shipping fees, I say sure, are you going to reimburse my shipping costs? I get told I'll have to ask, I'll get back to you ASAP.
So: 1. they screw up, 2. they tell me what I want doesn't exist, 3. I have to fight with them to prove it does, 4. they ask I send back the tobacco (which I'm ok with, so long as I don't have to pay for it as it's their mistake) but they are unsure as to if they are going to assume the costs.
I told myself enough of this and sent a reply saying never mind, don't send the tobacco, I'll keep the Navy Flake.
It's not a bashing fest, it's today's growing reality. People work somewhere and don't even know their products. On top of that, when they screw up, the customer is accountable for assuming costs he doesn't have to assume to get what he ordered in the first place. This is without counting that I end up with 100g of Navy Flake that cost me more than twice the price in the US and it's not even in a tin.  Rolling Eyes
No, it's not bashing, mate. It's simple facts. Wink
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

4Noggins score Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 10:38 am

Yup Davy. Everybody has sad stories of grievous woe due to heinous actions by vendors. You, the other guys, me too. Non delivery, bad item, the wrong items, not knowing the stock, a month to get a refund, two months to get a refund, and more. Interestingly, to me, I currently have two refund issues and a non-delivery claim going on with various online vendors. As I’ve said, stuff happens.

But my point, or attempted point, is more to try and get this thread back to its initial track. I guess I didn’t help much. Neither is this post helping much.

I’m a member on some boards that totally disallow hijacks. If someone posts a hijack on a thread...that post is simply cut. Their Mod is gleefully ruthless. There are no comments and no explanations. Offending posts simply disappear. Here at BoB there seems to be a kind of odd affection for hijacking. Of course verbally we deplore it, but if it’s creative and festive in either a positive or negative way...maybe it provides relief needed by the masses...or something. Whatever. Plus, if I excised hijacking posts I’ll bet there would be about 25% less content on the site...and I’d have to read each and every post. WAY too much effort for lazy me. Of course, I would never engage in hijacking.  Ahem. Pay no attention to that Mod behind the curtain.

I think I’ve had my ration of coffee this morning. Better cut back a bit.

Back to top Go down

4Noggins score
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: PAD & TAD-
Jump to: