4Noggins score

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

4Noggins score - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 1:00 pm

I reckon in a written, conversational situation like this, you can demand focus. Maybe it is me, but I've had few enjoyable and fruitful conversations in life when it didn't get off-track, meander, and usually arrive somewhere else. Um...that's casual conversation. Unless the purpose is purely for reference and creating a quasi-wiki situation, I kind of think of that sort of focused rigidity to be both undesirable and also a little unfriendly. Micromanaging conversations? If so, ultimately, folks with control issues. And isn't it also a lot antisocial?
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 1:34 pm

Zeno - as I tried to indicate, this site has been pretty friendly to hijacking.  There’s no malice involved so no harm, no foul. And yes, I don’t think rigidity serves anyone except the rigid. I don’t think that describes any of us.

So...did I ever tell you about buying some Bloody Mary Mix from a state run liquor store that was both rancid and way past shelf pull date? I took it back with the three day old receipt and was met with rudeness and abuse...accused of trying to cheat the store. Wow. Even though I wanted to throw a firebomb through their front window I calmly told the owner who was berating me that his refusal to take back a $4 bottle of mixer had just cost him a lifetime of future business. Not a very wise decision on his part. (Even though I buy like one or two bottles of hard liquor a year.) Honestly, I was calm and polite...he threw me out of his store. I filed a formal complaint...reported him to the state board that controls the system.  Have no idea what happened. Probably nothing. I still have daydreams about that firebomb on occasion. What’s stopping me from following through? The death penalty.

4Noggins score - Page 2 D6bddf104Noggins score - Page 2 294009104Noggins score - Page 2 114e61104Noggins score - Page 2 Ddb39b104Noggins score - Page 2 Cf77ce104Noggins score - Page 2 Dd6920124Noggins score - Page 2 Cowboy11
Back to top Go down
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 2:15 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
I still have daydreams about that firebomb on occasion. What’s stopping me from following through? The death penalty.

HA and they say that capital punishment doesn't deter crime
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 6:38 pm

5)

(I do like the Benjamin Hartwell Signature Flake, regardless. Thanks 4Noggins)
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 7:45 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
5)

(I do like the Benjamin Hartwell Signature Flake, regardless. Thanks 4Noggins)

And that is indeed the salient point after all (getting back on topic).

Very Happy

Cheers,

RR

4Noggins score - Page 2 Purple11x 24Noggins score - Page 2 Bombx10  4Noggins score - Page 2 Bombx7 4Noggins score - Page 2 D6bddf10 4Noggins score - Page 2 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d 4Noggins score - Page 2 Cowboy13

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Registration date : 2016-04-25

PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 7:47 pm

Yeah, true, this was about Benjamin Hartwell. Glad you liked it, Wiz'.
Sorry guys, I think I may have gotten slightly carried away. Then, I had a lot of coffee too this morning. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 8:06 pm

To quote Brendan Frazier from his more than slightly bizarre role in “George of the Jungle”...

JAVA JAVA JAVA JAVA JAVA  

4Noggins score - Page 2 D6bddf104Noggins score - Page 2 294009104Noggins score - Page 2 114e61104Noggins score - Page 2 Ddb39b104Noggins score - Page 2 Cf77ce104Noggins score - Page 2 Dd6920124Noggins score - Page 2 Cowboy11
Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 11:05 pm

Lol hijacks happen.

Ozzy my man that was an incredible stroke of luck! And to score 2 tins wow. It pays to be vigalint in checking the websites guys you never know you might just find Esoterica for sale somewhere.

Jim
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2018 2:51 pm

Interestingly, and on the topic of Benny Hartwell tobaccos, it looks like 4Noggins just added the verbiage "This is New Stock, made in its entirety by Sutliff Tobacco" to the descriptions of each Hartwell blend.

Anyway, it's nice to see them being honest about where these are coming from, especially since TR.com has them all listed as discontinued which of course would lead one to believe that they've magically ran into some New Old-stock McC blends.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2018 3:03 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Interestingly, and on the topic of Benny Hartwell tobaccos, it looks like 4Noggins just added the verbiage "This is New Stock, made in its entirety by Sutliff Tobacco" to the descriptions of each Hartwell blend.

Anyway, it's nice to see them being honest about where these are coming from, especially since TR.com has them all listed as discontinued which of course would lead one to believe that they've magically ran into some New Old-stock McC blends.

It’s the old JR song...”Found under an old tarp on a hidden pallet in an unused warehouse by accident...”. cheers

Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2018 3:25 pm

I am interested in knowing how close Sutliff came to matching the McClelland B Hartwell Signature.

Is it drip, or is it Taster's Choice?
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2018 7:42 pm

Ozzie

Just to be clear - this is the McC production and not the Sutliff, right? I didn't even realize that Sutliff had taken up the production of it until a few posts ago!

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
I am interested in knowing how close Sutliff came to matching the McClelland B Hartwell Signature.

Is it drip, or is it Taster's Choice?

Cheers,

RR

4Noggins score - Page 2 Purple11x 24Noggins score - Page 2 Bombx10  4Noggins score - Page 2 Bombx7 4Noggins score - Page 2 D6bddf10 4Noggins score - Page 2 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d 4Noggins score - Page 2 Cowboy13

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2018 10:17 pm

My tins are dated 2017. I don't recall the additional text on 4Noggin's site when I made my purchase, but I did just notice the price is substantially lower than what I was charged. At the beginning of the month, should there be some left, I hope to purchase more so I can do a comparison. What the hey, right?
Back to top Go down
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 11, 2018 1:35 am

Re: consignment tins and pricing. In an open market, the seller names a price, and the buyer gets to keep his money or take the goods home. No one’s making anyone do anything. I’d say the only Q is the split between the seller and the consigner. (Right word?) My guess is that many of the ridiculously big money sales go to pipers in China. They’re not going to poor, aged retirees in Wyoming who yearn for one last bowl of the original Balkan Sobranie before passing on.
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: 4Noggins score   4Noggins score - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 12, 2018 2:04 am

Ok, after careful consideration I have decided that the earlier version, to use Chris's analogy of coffee, is like fresh ground dark roast, and the new version is like a feshly opened can of drip.

Imagine if you took Sutliff's RC-1, heated it and pressed it. That's what I'm thinking about the new version. And instead of a pop top of broken thick cut flakes, it's now in a standardized round twist top, a Dunhill-esque paper wrapper with the gold teardrop sticky tab, enclosing two rows of thin, perfectly cut flakes that bring to mind Mac Baren offering. The smell of the old stuff was typical of the McClelland Christmas Cheer or 40th anniversary. The new stuff smells like, well, basic tobacco. The new Sutliff's Crumble Kake stuff smells closer to a decent matured red than the new Benjamin Hartwell Signature Blend. I'm going to sit on the other tin I didn't open for a decade or so, and stove the open one to see if that changes things.

What my experience has been with red ginnies is that it needs time before it's topped, cased or played with. Time to rest and break down a bit. The issue with that is one must be willing to store it carefully and rotate it. It seems that no one is doing that these days. There's no money in stocking shelves and sitting on products.
Back to top Go down

4Noggins score
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: PAD & TAD-
Jump to: