HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Cape Lookout fishing trip

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

Cape Lookout fishing trip Empty
PostSubject: Cape Lookout fishing trip   Cape Lookout fishing trip EmptyFri Nov 02, 2018 4:05 pm

Heading over tomorrow for the annual trip. I'm amazed this is still on after hurricane Florence but the National Parks got things back up and running. Looking at last satellite it would appear the north point is in accessible as high tide covers most of the top 1/2 mile. On the south point they lost 1/4 mile of point. I'm guessing we will try and find a hole south of the ferry. Many reports is there isn't many and beach is now fairly flat. I don't know what to expect fishing wise. I'd like to catch another citation length drum to go with the 43" last year and another 43" the year before. Might be tough fishing but will be fun.

Got a whole pile of pipe tobac I'm taking and box of cigars to share with the crew. If I have a data connection I'll try and post updates here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Cape Lookout fishing trip   Cape Lookout fishing trip EmptyFri Nov 02, 2018 6:45 pm

Best of luck! Tight lines and screaming drags! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Cape Lookout fishing trip   Cape Lookout fishing trip EmptyFri Nov 02, 2018 7:21 pm

Geoff, that sounds way great. Wish I was there with ya. Used to fisn regularly many years ago.

Looking forward to the pics.

Cheers,

RR

p.s. As a kid I used to watch the TV show "Gadabout Gaddis the Flying Fisherman". He often flew into his fishing holes in a pontoon airplane.

No one will be remotely familiar with this unless they're about my age, and even then I think it only broadcast on the so-called "educational" channels in the early-mid 60's, or what we would call PBS today. In any case it was a 1/2 hr show about an older gent fishing. Sometimes the whole 1/2 hr he wouldn't catch squat. That was the show. Boring, right?

Cape Lookout fishing trip Purple11x 2Cape Lookout fishing trip Bombx10  Cape Lookout fishing trip Bombx6Cape Lookout fishing trip D6bddf10 Cape Lookout fishing trip 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
GeoffC

GeoffC

PostSubject: Re: Cape Lookout fishing trip   Cape Lookout fishing trip EmptySat Nov 03, 2018 9:38 am

Drum wagons on the move. Noon ferry.

I love this trip. New moon it is milky way from horizon to horizon. Father in law restored two Avion slide in campers that we use.  Like camping at the Bellagio.

Cape Lookout fishing trip 7791d010

Photo resized by the Management to maintain normal text size.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fumus

Fumus

Registration date : 2014-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Cape Lookout fishing trip   Cape Lookout fishing trip EmptySat Nov 03, 2018 6:38 pm

Very much looking forward to pics and updates sir. Glad your getting to do this trip. afro
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

PostSubject: Re: Cape Lookout fishing trip   Cape Lookout fishing trip EmptySun Nov 04, 2018 7:06 am

Last night mostly small sharks caught. Some blues and one keeper flounder. Did catch a small black drum and told him to go find his parents. Got up at 1:30am and fished more but crabs were picking the hooks clean.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

PostSubject: Re: Cape Lookout fishing trip   Cape Lookout fishing trip EmptySun Nov 04, 2018 8:47 pm

Tried sound side this afternoon with 18mph wind coming out of northeast to no avail. Back at original spot 4 miles noth of the lighthouse. Wind just shifted on shore. Everyone is sacked out but me. See if this wind shift changes my luck to get a big drum. One in the group caught a red drum in the slot this morning at 24" just over 5 lbs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Cape Lookout fishing trip   Cape Lookout fishing trip EmptySun Nov 04, 2018 9:14 pm

Pictures for us?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Cape Lookout fishing trip   Cape Lookout fishing trip EmptySun Nov 04, 2018 9:49 pm

Sounds like you are having a great time!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

PostSubject: Re: Cape Lookout fishing trip   Cape Lookout fishing trip EmptyMon Nov 05, 2018 8:37 am

Had a mad scramble at 4-5am getting the trucks on boards.  Wind pushed a higher tide.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

PostSubject: Re: Cape Lookout fishing trip   Cape Lookout fishing trip EmptyFri Nov 09, 2018 7:20 pm

Back now.  Sorry I couldn't post more updates.  Cell phone connection was slow and spotty.

We got on the Island and headed south the first day about 4 miles north of the lighthouse.  Nice slew considering most of the beach was flat thanks to hurricane Florence.   That night and morning we caught a lot of small sharks, couple of blues, 2 small black drum and 1 red drum in the slot.  Sorry I didn't get a picture of the red drum but I was on the opposite end of the crew.   Fishing died and it was crab fest just eating the bait off the lines on the third day so we headed up to the cabins after getting a surprise wind shift brought high tide under the trucks at 5am.  

Up on the north end was a small slew and a few of us caught some blues but otherwise a disappointing venture.  4th day we headed back south about 2 miles from the lighthouse to a false point and slew.  Lot's of small blue fish caught.  5th day quieted down and a couple of us decided to go to the south point and see what was left.   It was amazing.  About a 1/2 mile of the point was gone.  Camper trucks could not get around the point to the jetty but small trucks could.   No place on the point was safe when high tide came in.

On the way back to the crew we stopped to checkout the lighthouse which was a first time for all of us.  Pretty neat to explore.

All in all a good time but the beach was too flat and water a bit too warm for red drum.  My guess after the cold weather this upcoming week that Thanksgiving week will be a banner fishing week for red drum.

Oh!  Forgot to mention!  I tried to capture the picture but it doesn't do it justice.  Was fishing at 2am when it looked like devil horns rising up over the horizon.  Crescent moon was incredible as it was in the form of a U making it's up.

Anyway, here is my Google Photos for anyone interesting
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

PostSubject: Re: Cape Lookout fishing trip   Cape Lookout fishing trip EmptyFri Nov 09, 2018 7:42 pm

Oh, one other thing . . . if you haven't had Blanton's Bourbon with breakfast you are missing out. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Cape Lookout fishing trip   Cape Lookout fishing trip EmptyFri Nov 09, 2018 8:40 pm

GeoffC wrote:
Oh, one other thing . . . if you haven't had Blanton's Bourbon with breakfast you are missing out. cheers cheers cheers

Just got a bottle as a going away present from a buddy at work and vacation starts tomorrow
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Cape Lookout fishing trip
Page 1 of 1