HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Astronomy

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

Astronomy Empty
PostSubject: Astronomy   Astronomy EmptyFri Nov 02, 2018 11:54 pm

Thought this was interesting!

http://www.astronomy.com/news/2018/07/milky-ways-lost-sibling
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

Astronomy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astronomy   Astronomy EmptySat Nov 03, 2018 12:57 am

Astronomy is amazing, much more interesting than anything on this Insane planet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
History Prof 1861

History Prof 1861

Registration date : 2016-10-16

Astronomy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astronomy   Astronomy EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 7:18 am

Ozark

Really interesting article I find astronomy fascinating. Thank you for sharing who would’ve thought that galaxies run into each other and steal suns.

Really cool maybe I need to dig out my telescope...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

Astronomy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astronomy   Astronomy EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 8:20 am

That’s our future as well. The Milky Way galaxy is hurtling toward the Andromeda galaxy (and vice versa) at many, many millions of miles per hour. They WILL crash together at some point. But it won’t be soon and even when it does we likely won’t even notice. The distances between galaxies are so totally vast that first, it won’t happen for billions of years and second the distances between planetary systems is also so incredibly vast that it is extremely unlikely that any planet or sun or anything will come close enough to another to actually collide. Anyway, that’s what Neil deGrasse Tyson sez. Even when the gravities of the two galaxies causes them to capture each other...swirling around and into and through each other into a new whole...and the massive black holes at the center of each do the fatal attraction thing and they actually collide...and the whole galactic train wreck sorts itself out and forms a new “Milky AndromiWay” (or whatever) galaxy...no collisions other than the two central black holes are likely to occur. Again, roughly 4 billions of years from now.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/hPIJxPo

Astronomy D6bddf10Astronomy 29400910Astronomy 114e6110Astronomy Ddb39b10Astronomy Cf77ce10Astronomy Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

Astronomy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astronomy   Astronomy EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 9:28 am

Hmmm 4 billion years you say? hopefully they will advance medical technology soon enough that I can see that scratch . I have always loved astronomy since the first time I saw Star Trek when I was a kid. I do need to get another telescope, haven't had one for years now.

I am sure there will quite a few collisions when the two finally do merge, probably not enough to cause any real issues but there will be some. I like the idea of naming it "Milky AndromiWay"!

-Dan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

Astronomy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astronomy   Astronomy EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 12:21 pm

Actually, I think the major new name being put forward is either, “Milkomeda” or “Milkdromeda”.

Amusing.

Keep in mind that the galactic collision will BEGIN about (give or take a few months) 4 billion years from now and take a few billion years to settle out, so to speak. BUT also beginning about 4 billion years from now our sun will begin to swell as part of its natural aging process and eventually engulf the earth...or the little piece of charcoal that once was the earth. That whole growing/frying thing is supposed to take a few billion years as well. I plan to be out of town.

Astronomy D6bddf10Astronomy 29400910Astronomy 114e6110Astronomy Ddb39b10Astronomy Cf77ce10Astronomy Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
History Prof 1861

History Prof 1861

Registration date : 2016-10-16

Astronomy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astronomy   Astronomy EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 6:05 pm

The movement of the stars is amazing

One of the pleasures in life I find (ymmv) is to have a pipe and a beverage and watch them in a night as they slowly move above me.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

Astronomy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astronomy   Astronomy EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 7:22 pm

History Prof 1861 wrote:
The movement of the stars is amazing

One of the pleasures in life I find (ymmv) is to have a pipe and a beverage and watch them in a night as they slowly move above me.

Yes very much so
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

Astronomy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Astronomy   Astronomy EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 7:32 pm

Love astronomy but don't understand much of the technical jargon.

Cheers,

RR

Astronomy Purple11x 2Astronomy Bombx10Astronomy BombAstronomy BombAstronomy D6bddf10 Astronomy 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com

Astronomy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: