HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Gluing Back a Nickel Band on Briar Pipe

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Registration date : 2016-04-25

Gluing Back a Nickel Band on Briar Pipe Empty
PostSubject: Gluing Back a Nickel Band on Briar Pipe   Gluing Back a Nickel Band on Briar Pipe EmptyThu Nov 15, 2018 7:22 pm

So, I have a pipe that has a nickel band and it was incorrectly glued on as, when I was rubbing the band with a cloth, I felt it come off.
It was simply glued on without the shank being narrowed down to fit it. Can I use simply some Gorilla glue for wood or is there a specific glue to use?

Thanks, gents. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Gluing Back a Nickel Band on Briar Pipe   Gluing Back a Nickel Band on Briar Pipe EmptyThu Nov 15, 2018 7:30 pm

Hmm, most of my bands are not glued they seem to be just friction fitted. I don't see why gorilla (or super glue or epoxy or whatever) wouldn't work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Gluing Back a Nickel Band on Briar Pipe   Gluing Back a Nickel Band on Briar Pipe EmptyThu Nov 15, 2018 10:58 pm

Davy Jones wrote:
So, I have a pipe that has a nickel band and it was incorrectly glued on as, when I was rubbing the band with a cloth, I felt it come off.
It was simply glued on without the shank being narrowed down to fit it. Can I use simply some Gorilla glue for wood or is there a specific glue to use?

Use very little glue if you do that. Don't get any glue on the finish of the pipe. It could ruin it. Don't ask me how I know! Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: Gluing Back a Nickel Band on Briar Pipe   Gluing Back a Nickel Band on Briar Pipe EmptyFri Nov 16, 2018 6:49 am

Corncobcon wrote:
Davy Jones wrote:

Use very little glue if you do that.  Don't get any glue on the finish of the pipe. It could ruin it.   Don't ask me how I know! Shocked

I did put some Gorilla glue on the band, so it will be in contact with the briar. I was careful not to put too much so that it would spread all over the shank outside of the band.
Fingers crossed, I guess. Smile
And sorry for what happened to yours, mate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Gluing Back a Nickel Band on Briar Pipe   Gluing Back a Nickel Band on Briar Pipe EmptyFri Nov 16, 2018 6:08 pm

I've fixed some of those old cobs bands with contractor wood glue. Gorilla glue expands, and that can have adverse effects. All of my cob mods I band with various metals I still use the same stuff. 'Tight-bond' exterior glue. Works great, water clean up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
History Prof 1861

History Prof 1861

Registration date : 2016-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Gluing Back a Nickel Band on Briar Pipe   Gluing Back a Nickel Band on Briar Pipe EmptyFri Nov 16, 2018 6:16 pm

Ozark thank you for the tip I have the same issue with a nickel banded Peterson.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

PostSubject: Re: Gluing Back a Nickel Band on Briar Pipe   Gluing Back a Nickel Band on Briar Pipe EmptySun Nov 18, 2018 8:09 am

Ozark Wizard wrote:
I've fixed some of those old cobs bands with contractor wood glue. Gorilla glue expands, and that can have adverse effects. All of my cob mods I band with various metals I still use the same stuff. 'Tight-bond' exterior glue. Works great, water clean up.

Bloody Hell! Shocked
Too late, I already put some on the band. affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Gluing Back a Nickel Band on Briar Pipe   Gluing Back a Nickel Band on Briar Pipe EmptyMon Nov 19, 2018 7:14 pm

On a band the gorilla glue should be ok but if you ever glue anything that could come in contact with the smoke in anyway you are better off using either Tightbond or good old Elmer's glue as they are considered food safe. No point risking your health by breathing in chemicals that might kill or cause cancer.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Gluing Back a Nickel Band on Briar Pipe
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Pipe Techniques-
Jump to: