HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

The sky at night

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

The sky at night - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The sky at night   The sky at night - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2019 4:34 pm

D.L.Ruth wrote:
Stick wrote:
And it's 300 million trillion miles away. I mean... what the? What does that number even mean?!?!

It means that they probably won't overnight a tobacco order there.

Of course you could! Fold space/time and bammo, you're there!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: The sky at night   The sky at night - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2019 5:21 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
D.L.Ruth wrote:
Stick wrote:
And it's 300 million trillion miles away. I mean... what the? What does that number even mean?!?!

It means that they probably won't overnight a tobacco order there.

Of course you could! Fold space/time and bammo, you're there!

Uh huh, yep, right... errrrr… … nope. lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The sky at night   The sky at night - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2019 6:43 pm

There's the fact that two separated particles can interact instantaneously, a phenomenon called quantum entanglement. ... And there's another phenomenon called quantum superposition. This principle of quantum mechanics suggests that particles can exist in two separate locations at once. So folding the fabric of space/time isn't so much the effort it may seem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The sky at night   The sky at night - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2019 9:15 pm

Titan lakes... A great read. Thanks again Cassini!

https://earthsky.org/space/scientists-find-new-surprises-about-titans-lakes?utm_source=EarthSky+News&utm_campaign=ddef4bbdf8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_02_02_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c643945d79-ddef4bbdf8-395390593
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The sky at night   The sky at night - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2019 10:20 pm

Interstellar?

https://earthsky.org/space/interstellar-object-similar-to-oumuamua-strike-earth-2014?utm_source=EarthSky+News&utm_campaign=e793e406fa-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_02_02_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c643945d79-e793e406fa-395390593
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The sky at night   The sky at night - Page 3 EmptyThu May 16, 2019 12:28 pm

A trans-Neptunian object with rings!

https://earthsky.org/space/dwarf-planet-haumea-enigmatic-ring-new-insights?utm_source=EarthSky+News&utm_campaign=2dcb52de31-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_02_02_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c643945d79-2dcb52de31-395390593
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

PostSubject: Re: The sky at night   The sky at night - Page 3 EmptyThu May 16, 2019 5:14 pm

Our solar system just keeps on giving. Fascinating how new tech enables new insights. What will we find in the next 20 years?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

PostSubject: Re: The sky at night   The sky at night - Page 3 EmptyThu May 16, 2019 5:19 pm

You might like this, Wiz. This BBC series charts the 13 mins leading up to touch down on the first moon landing. I loved Mike Collins's comment at a time when there was intense competition with the Russians to reach the moon; he spoke of the unifying effect that the moon landing had and used the term 'we' in the context of the human race, not just NASA.

Well worth a listen and I'm looking forward to the next episode.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The sky at night   The sky at night - Page 3 EmptyFri May 17, 2019 7:19 pm

Stick wrote:
You might like this, Wiz.  This BBC series charts the 13 mins leading up to touch down on the first moon landing.  I loved Mike Collins's comment at a time when there was intense competition with the Russians to reach the moon; he spoke of the unifying effect that the moon landing had and used the term 'we' in the context of the human race, not just NASA.

I'll look into that for sure! Thanks for the intel!

How would one access that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: The sky at night   The sky at night - Page 3 EmptySat May 25, 2019 5:35 pm

Swinging by in 2 hours but will be too faint to see with the naked eye.

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/mile-wide-asteroid-its-tiny-moon-zoom-past-earth-weekend-ncna1009381
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

PostSubject: Re: The sky at night   The sky at night - Page 3 EmptySat May 25, 2019 5:53 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Stick wrote:
You might like this, Wiz.  This BBC series charts the 13 mins leading up to touch down on the first moon landing.  I loved Mike Collins's comment at a time when there was intense competition with the Russians to reach the moon; he spoke of the unifying effect that the moon landing had and used the term 'we' in the context of the human race, not just NASA.

I'll look into that for sure! Thanks for the intel!

How would one access that?

Oo, missed this Oz, sorry old bean. Let me see if I can find a way of providing a link...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

PostSubject: Re: The sky at night   The sky at night - Page 3 EmptySat May 25, 2019 6:03 pm

...rightoh, let's try this:

13 Minutes to the Moon - Ep.01 ‘We choose to go’, 15/05/2019 GMT - @bbcworldservice

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3csz4dj

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: The sky at night   The sky at night - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 4:01 pm

Okay, sure, global internet connection would be great. But I can't see the stars!

https://earthsky.org/space/effect-on-astronomy-spacex-starlink-satellites
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eggman
Cornholio
eggman

Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: The sky at night   The sky at night - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2019 9:27 pm

I can’t even read a Carl Sagan book without getting confused. 5)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The sky at night
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: