HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Which will it be?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

Which will it be? Empty
PostSubject: Which will it be?   Which will it be? EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 10:36 am

Okay, a lot of you have hundreds maybe even thousands of dollars of tobaccos in your cellars. Say you can only have one blend from here on out, okay, make it two. Which do you reach for the most? What will your two blends be? This hobby can send you on a mad hunt for that perfect elusive blend. I was just wondering if you could narrow it down to just two blends if you had to.

To be fair, I don't have an answer myself right now, I'll have to think about it a day or two at least.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
History Prof 1861

History Prof 1861

Registration date : 2016-10-16

Which will it be? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which will it be?   Which will it be? EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 10:42 am

As of right now Balkan Supreme and University Flake... but that is just a snap shot of right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin
Carlos

Registration date : 2007-12-10

Which will it be? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which will it be?   Which will it be? EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 11:37 am

I can't do that. Unless we redefine the terms that the two blends equal "obtainium" & "unobtainium". Obtainium being anything commonly available in retail sales. Unobtainium being that which exists only in my cellar, and is for all practical purposes not for sale retail because a component tobacco no longer exists. Or the blender is out of business. Or the blend in question is of a much older vintage.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

Which will it be? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which will it be?   Which will it be? EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 11:38 am

What I reach for most often are my own creations, and they represent more time and effort than actual monies from the banks...

Of purchased blends, I am pretty regularly carrying PS LBF or SG St. James flake in the pouch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Simple Man

Which will it be? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which will it be?   Which will it be? EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 11:44 am

Ozark Wizard wrote:
What I reach for most often are my own creations, and they represent more time and effort than actual monies from the banks...

Of purchased blends, I am pretty regularly carrying PS LBF or SG St. James flake in the pouch.

Yes, I remember a couple of your blends being rather nice!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Simple Man

Which will it be? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which will it be?   Which will it be? EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 11:51 am

Carlos wrote:
I can't do that.  Unless we redefine the terms that the two blends equal "obtainium" & "unobtainium".  Obtainium being anything commonly available in retail sales.  Unobtainium being that which exists only in my cellar, and is for all practical purposes not for sale retail because a component tobacco no longer exists.  Or the blender is out of business.  Or the blend in question is of a much older vintage.  

I wasn't really considering that which no longer exists, I suppose if I had them cellared I would, but since I don't have them and can probably no longer obtain them I would just omit them and go with what I either have cellared or can at least obtain somewhat regularly.

To me it would come down to something I can smoke all day and not tire of. I really don't know how my grandfather did that. I remember he had one brand of tobacco that I always saw him smoking and my parents used to buy him a can of that every Christmas, I think it was Velvet, though I can't really recall.

Anyway, what led to this was a harder than usual time of deciding on what to smoke last night. Laughing

I settled on Carter Hall. That is not my answer though. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

Which will it be? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which will it be?   Which will it be? EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 12:19 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:

Snap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zanaspus

Zanaspus

Registration date : 2009-12-27

Which will it be? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which will it be?   Which will it be? EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 1:16 pm

Today it would be SG FVF and Low Country Va/Bur. It could change tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

Which will it be? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which will it be?   Which will it be? EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 1:33 pm

Man that is a tough one . . . I find my tastes changes year from year and season to season and usually full circle. Let smoke a dozen bowls today and get back to you on that . . .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

Which will it be? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which will it be?   Which will it be? EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 2:18 pm

I would have said freshly blended, straight from the presses at McClelland (ie no aging) #2015. Outside of Dreamland, it would be Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. I love the flavor both new and as it goes through aging stages. I like that it is a tobacco for dummies insofar as it isn't finicky about hydration levels or how you pack it. It's a solid, if not great, value in tobacco for your buck, and I do feel price point is a significant variable.* It gets along well with every pipe I own. It ticks every box.

I actually thought about something similar this week. I'm not an nicotine addict, and while I do love pipes and smoking a pipe, if I didn't have a tobacco I actually enjoyed flavor wise and value wise, I'd stop smoking. I can count on Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake (for now).

*I received an email update from a retailer today, and their little pice of journalism was about how pipe sizes have changed from "the bigger the better" to the standard 6x2. It gave three estimations why this change, and while they were all good reasons, they didn't touch upon the expense of tobacco today. I was surprised. I know this is for another thread, and maybe even I'm in the minority here, but I feel price point is not something to forget or overlook. If you're smoking a couple bowls a week, it matters less. If you're smoking 4+ bowls a day, you can spend some decent money on pipe smoking. But hey, I'm a frugal person.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Registration date : 2016-04-25

Which will it be? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which will it be?   Which will it be? EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 4:04 pm

Peterson University Flake
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

Which will it be? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which will it be?   Which will it be? EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 7:17 pm

Impossible to answer, yet my two most regulars are 2015 and 5100. Both of which I have laid in sufficient quantities to see me out!

So there!

tongue

Cheers,

RR

Which will it be? Purple11x 2Which will it be? Bombx10Which will it be? BombWhich will it be? D6bddf10 Which will it be? 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
Simple Man

Simple Man

Which will it be? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which will it be?   Which will it be? EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 8:40 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Impossible to answer, yet my two most regulars are 2015 and 5100. Both of which I have laid in sufficient quantities to see me out!

So there!

tongue

Cheers,

RR

Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

Which will it be? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which will it be?   Which will it be? EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 9:46 pm

Well, that's not too tough for me to answer. Obviously it would be Carter Hall, and something with latakia in it like English Hoopla.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Navyflake

Navyflake

Registration date : 2017-06-01

Which will it be? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which will it be?   Which will it be? EmptySat Nov 17, 2018 11:11 pm

S.G. St. James Flake and Peterson's University Flake.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Navyflake
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

Which will it be? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which will it be?   Which will it be? EmptySun Nov 18, 2018 1:40 am

Blackwoods Flake. For me, it hits on every level. Sweet and spicy with more complex flavors down the bowl aways.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

Which will it be? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which will it be?   Which will it be? EmptySun Nov 18, 2018 3:45 am

Tough one. Really tough.

As of right now I would have to go with Stonehaven and Gawith Dark Flake Scented.

Which will it be? D6bddf10Which will it be? 29400910Which will it be? 114e6110Which will it be? Ddb39b10Which will it be? Cf77ce10Which will it be? Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

Which will it be? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which will it be?   Which will it be? EmptySun Nov 18, 2018 8:10 am

St Bruno Flake . . . with at least 6 tied for second!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
BriarBeagle

BriarBeagle

Registration date : 2016-11-08

Which will it be? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which will it be?   Which will it be? EmptySun Nov 18, 2018 12:43 pm

#1: Old Gowrie. Don't wish to EVER be without it. I come back to this blend time and again on a daily basis. For me this tobacco is great any time of day, and in all seasons. Additionally, I am completely satisfied regardless of pipe shape, size, etc. Its no wonder I keep copious amounts cellared at any given time.

#2: Stonehaven
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Simple Man

Which will it be? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which will it be?   Which will it be? EmptySun Nov 18, 2018 7:03 pm

Ok, I thought about this a lot more and finally decided on my three can't live with outs (I know I said two... I changed it to three Laughing )

In no particular order

Haunted Bookshop

Storm Front

and

Lane Limited Ready Rubbed

IF I had to pick just two of these it would be the first two.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarBeagle

BriarBeagle

Registration date : 2016-11-08

Which will it be? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which will it be?   Which will it be? EmptySun Nov 18, 2018 7:26 pm

Simple Man wrote:
Ok, I thought about this a lot more and finally decided on my three can't live with outs (I know I said two... I changed it to three Laughing )

In no particular order

Haunted Bookshop

Storm Front

and

Oh, so now it's 3? Well that changrs everything Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Simple Man

Which will it be? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which will it be?   Which will it be? EmptySun Nov 18, 2018 8:08 pm

BriarBeagle wrote:
Simple Man wrote:

In no particular order

Haunted Bookshop

Storm Front

and

Oh, so now it's 3? Well that changrs everything Laughing

My parents tell me I was never one to play by the rules. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

Which will it be? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which will it be?   Which will it be? EmptyMon Nov 19, 2018 5:10 pm

This used to be a hard question for me to answer, but my tastes seem to have settled in to a very clear top 5, and within that a clear top 2.

GLP Telegraph Hill
My personal concoction: 30% red VA ribbon, 30% perique, 20% toasted burley, 20% white burley.

Fortunately, I have a pound and half of the former and two pounds of the latter cellared, which should last me a good long time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

Which will it be? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which will it be?   Which will it be? EmptyMon Nov 19, 2018 6:52 pm

Before the demise of McC I would have said Blackwoods Flake but as I only have 250grams stashed away it's relegated to special occasions only. So then what do I smoke most now......

1 Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake
2 HH Old Dark Fired

Will that change probably but if the house was on fire those are the two I'd grab first.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Which will it be?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: