HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

What does unobtainium look like?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Carlos
Admin
Carlos

Registration date : 2007-12-10

What does unobtainium look like? Empty
PostSubject: What does unobtainium look like?   What does unobtainium look like? EmptySat Dec 08, 2018 9:46 pm

This is one form it can take.  Something in the Tavern Tobacco "Rose of Zanzibar" is similar to that tobacco used in "Bracken Flake".  Differing condiment tobaccos.  Bracken Flake is more heavily stoved.  But there is something shared.  I love it, whatever "it" is.  

This tin had fallen off a stack of tins on the top shelf.  Out of sight.  Or it would have been smoked up long ago.  Most likely from the last bunch produced and imported.  About 2005.

What does unobtainium look like? B4303b10

What does unobtainium look like? Img_2111

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: What does unobtainium look like?   What does unobtainium look like? EmptySat Dec 08, 2018 10:03 pm

Nice! How cool to come across a forgotten treasure. I bet you looked a bit like the guy on the label when you found it. Laughing Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zanaspus

Zanaspus

Registration date : 2009-12-27

PostSubject: Re: What does unobtainium look like?   What does unobtainium look like? EmptySat Dec 08, 2018 10:19 pm

Christmas comes early. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: What does unobtainium look like?   What does unobtainium look like? EmptySat Dec 08, 2018 10:35 pm

Looks like the Ghost of Christmas Pass visited you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What does unobtainium look like?   What does unobtainium look like? EmptySun Dec 09, 2018 1:08 am

Taking us back to the old "Knox Cigar" days!! Seems like eons ago!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What does unobtainium look like?   What does unobtainium look like? EmptySun Dec 09, 2018 1:24 am

The label is amazing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
History Prof 1861

History Prof 1861

Registration date : 2016-10-16

PostSubject: Re: What does unobtainium look like?   What does unobtainium look like? EmptySun Dec 09, 2018 8:04 am

That is an awesome find!

The label is eye catching and the tobacco looks great!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: What does unobtainium look like?   What does unobtainium look like? EmptySun Dec 09, 2018 8:23 am

A real treasure, Carlos. I too love the label. Lucky it didn't pop when it fell off the shelf!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eggman
Cornholio
eggman

Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: What does unobtainium look like?   What does unobtainium look like? EmptySun Dec 09, 2018 9:17 am

ftrplt wrote:
Taking us back to the old "Knox Cigar" days!! Seems like eons ago!! cheers FTRPLT

Oh my, Knox cigar seems like a 100 years ago. I learned a lot there when I was just starting off in the pipe world. I miss the weekly chats there. I think they used a yahoo chat room.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin
Carlos

PostSubject: Re: What does unobtainium look like?   What does unobtainium look like? EmptySun Dec 09, 2018 11:39 am

You never knew who you might find in the chatroom. Johan of Jobert Pipes from South Africa. Lee Von Erck. Oh, just about anyone. Saturday mornings there could be a crowd in there.

I stopped in at Knoxville Cigar just after they tried to make the Cigar Bar thing work. They had a really nice place in the old town area. But the economy started going to heck at just the wrong time for them. That meant, of course. That it was not possible to have more blends made for them. Their Internet sales dwindled. When you are out of stock on about everything, hard to sell things.

Yeah, some great labels. Good times.

eggman wrote:
ftrplt wrote:

Oh my, Knox cigar seems like a 100 years ago. I learned a lot there when I was just starting off in the pipe world. I miss the weekly chats there. I think they used a yahoo chat room.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: What does unobtainium look like?   What does unobtainium look like? EmptySun Dec 09, 2018 12:29 pm

I still have a tin of this little treasure.

What does unobtainium look like? 7a4a0e10

What does unobtainium look like? D6bddf10What does unobtainium look like? 29400910What does unobtainium look like? 114e6110What does unobtainium look like? Ddb39b10What does unobtainium look like? Cf77ce10What does unobtainium look like? Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eggman
Cornholio
eggman

PostSubject: Re: What does unobtainium look like?   What does unobtainium look like? EmptySun Dec 09, 2018 12:44 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
I still have a tin of this little treasure.

What does unobtainium look like? 7a4a0e10

Blackhorse, I sampled some of that once when I first started smoking a pipe. From what I remember it was pretty good stuff. I haven’t thought about that blend in a long time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SourMilk

SourMilk

Registration date : 2018-03-01

PostSubject: Re: What does unobtainium look like?   What does unobtainium look like? EmptySun Dec 09, 2018 12:59 pm

Like others have said, that tin art is amazing and is appropriate for a newly discovered lost tin. Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: What does unobtainium look like?   What does unobtainium look like? EmptySun Dec 09, 2018 2:03 pm

Call me crazy, but sometimes I'll buy a tin of tobacco just for the artwork on the can or the name of the tobacco!
What does unobtainium look like? Butz10

By the way, the tobacco is by Dan, the pipe is a Butz Suvane, and the train is Lionel!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: What does unobtainium look like?   What does unobtainium look like? EmptySun Dec 09, 2018 3:50 pm

Nice archived tobacco! Those were the days, eh? Yah, well, maybe not all the days. Still a great find! Congratulations!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin
Carlos

PostSubject: Re: What does unobtainium look like?   What does unobtainium look like? EmptySun Dec 09, 2018 3:54 pm

Momoyama was a good blend. Always seemed to be hard to get.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GrampaGrossbart

GrampaGrossbart

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: What does unobtainium look like?   What does unobtainium look like? EmptySun Dec 09, 2018 5:30 pm

Carlos wrote:
Momoyama was a good blend.  Always seemed to be hard to get.

It still is, if you’re ever in Japan! Or at least it was when I was over in ‘14, scored a pouch of it and really dug it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GrampaGrossbart

GrampaGrossbart

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: What does unobtainium look like?   What does unobtainium look like? EmptySun Dec 09, 2018 5:31 pm

And that looks great, Carlos, hope you’re enjoying the hell out of it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vito

Vito

PostSubject: Re: What does unobtainium look like?   What does unobtainium look like? EmptySun Dec 23, 2018 5:10 am

Wow, Carlos...that brings back memories of the daze when so many of us first started hanging out on the KCC board.

I prolly tried most of the Tavern Tobacco blends, but I seldom bought 'em in tins...bulk, mostly. I've still got a bunch of 'em too. One of my faves is Boar's Head. That partnership between KCC and SamGaw produced some great weedages!

I guess it's time to go rooting around in the cellar to see what treasures I can find. What does unobtainium look like? 710492

What does unobtainium look like? Newjok10
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.vitotuxedo.com/VitoSpace/Home/=index.html
eggman
Cornholio
eggman

PostSubject: Re: What does unobtainium look like?   What does unobtainium look like? EmptySun Dec 23, 2018 11:56 am

Carlos wrote:
You never knew who you might find in the chatroom.  Johan of Jobert Pipes from South Africa.  Lee Von Erck.  Oh, just about anyone.  Saturday mornings there could be a crowd in there.

I stopped in at Knoxville Cigar just after they tried to make the Cigar Bar thing work.  They had a really nice place in the old town area.  But the economy started going to heck at just the wrong time for them.  That meant, of course.  That it was not possible to have more blends made for them.  Their Internet sales dwindled.  When you are out of stock on about everything, hard to sell things.

Yeah, some great labels.  Good times.

eggman wrote:
ftrplt wrote:

Carlos, I ordered from them by phone a couple times. They were always friendly when I called to order stuff. There was one guy there that would chit chat on the phone if they weren’t busy. He asked about Reelfoot lake and the hunting and fishing there. I’m about 20 miles from there.

I chatted with Johan from Jobert pipes several times. He was a awesome guy and pretty funny too. I ended up with a Olive wood pipe from him. It’s a great smoker and have smoked it several times since returning to the briar. I remember Kirk Bosi, Mike Brisset, Greg Pease and several others that hung out there.

Does anyone know what happened to any of them? The last time I talked to Johan he wasn’t in great shape. I tried to locate Bosi a couple weeks ago and couldn’t find his web site.

Would it be a good idea to start a separate thread about the whereabouts of past members of the Knox board? If anyone was interested.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father
jhuggett

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: What does unobtainium look like?   What does unobtainium look like? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2018 4:54 pm

Tavern Tobacco Laurel Flake is my grail tobacco. Best Va/Per I've ever smoked. Definitely brought back some good memories with this post Carlos!

Simple Man

Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: What does unobtainium look like?   What does unobtainium look like? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2018 5:42 pm

Mine would be Bufflehead - Merganser Decoy and now I'm missing a couple of the Nording blends by McClelland, especially Labrador and Beagle. I should have bought more of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eggman
Cornholio
eggman

PostSubject: Re: What does unobtainium look like?   What does unobtainium look like? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2018 6:40 pm

Being a 007 fan this unobtainium to me

What does unobtainium look like? D7ea0e10
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin
Carlos

PostSubject: Re: What does unobtainium look like?   What does unobtainium look like? EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 12:13 pm

This is pretty amazing stuff.

What does unobtainium look like? Img_2116
What does unobtainium look like? Img_2115

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin
Carlos

PostSubject: Re: What does unobtainium look like?   What does unobtainium look like? EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 12:18 pm

When I am smoking this, I need to smoke it in my Castello. Because the bit will stand up to me chewing on it.

What does unobtainium look like? Img_2117
What does unobtainium look like? Img_2118

Back to top Go down
View user profile

What does unobtainium look like?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: