HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

First time fitting an Army Mount stem

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

First time fitting an Army Mount stem Empty
PostSubject: First time fitting an Army Mount stem   First time fitting an Army Mount stem EmptyThu Jan 03, 2019 11:53 am

Thought I'd share this here for everyone that likes to restore/repair their own pipes. I had been avoiding this job for a while in order to get my nerve up Very Happy  I had one shot to get this right, so I worked slowly and carefully to carve down an oversized P-lip stem to fit a Peterson Irish Made X105 army mount stummel.

Apart from laying out the length and contours of the finished stem, judging the slope of the cone to fit the mortise was the tricky bit. Too sharp an angle and the stem would wobble; too shallow and the stem wouldn't seat deeply enough in the shank. I roughed in the new shape with a dremel and sanding drum then spent about 3 hours of bench time hand filing and sanding to get the fit right.

Really happy with the finished pipe, though I'm now wishing I didn't have to send it back to its owner!  Very Happy

The full write-up goes live on www.dadspipes.com tomorrow morning for those interested in reading. Thanks for looking.

First time fitting an Army Mount stem X10511
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: First time fitting an Army Mount stem   First time fitting an Army Mount stem EmptyThu Jan 03, 2019 11:05 pm

Wow! That turned out great. I wish I had the patience to do that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: First time fitting an Army Mount stem   First time fitting an Army Mount stem EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 12:28 am

Nice. Very nice.

First time fitting an Army Mount stem D6bddf10First time fitting an Army Mount stem 29400910First time fitting an Army Mount stem 114e6110First time fitting an Army Mount stem Ddb39b10First time fitting an Army Mount stem Cf77ce10First time fitting an Army Mount stem Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: First time fitting an Army Mount stem   First time fitting an Army Mount stem EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 1:31 am

That's great! I really need to get back into that stuff again. I'm just not supposed to be bent over tables and lugging tools about. Nice work on the pipe!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: First time fitting an Army Mount stem   First time fitting an Army Mount stem EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 10:29 am

Thanks, gents! The job itself was actually easier than I had anticipated, though a lot slower. A 1" belt sander would have made short work of stock removal, but I don't (yet) own one so it was dremel and files for this poor slob. Very Happy The dremel (or my shaky hand) left dents and pits in the vulcanite so I had to stop well short of the mark and finish the cone by hand.

OW - I hear ya on hunching over a desk. I made sure to take regular short breaks to stretch and limber up. IF I don;t my lower back and shoulders can get a bit screamy! The dubious rewards of having enough birthdays, I suppose. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: First time fitting an Army Mount stem   First time fitting an Army Mount stem EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 12:15 pm

Good looking pipe! Been tempted to buy an Army Mount stem pipe. I love my Peterson Spigot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: First time fitting an Army Mount stem   First time fitting an Army Mount stem EmptyFri Jan 04, 2019 7:15 pm

Looks like a fine job Charles. Must've been very tricky getting the angle just right. Love me an army mount!

Cool

Cheers,

RR

First time fitting an Army Mount stem Purple11x 2First time fitting an Army Mount stem Bombx10First time fitting an Army Mount stem BombFirst time fitting an Army Mount stem BombFirst time fitting an Army Mount stem D6bddf10 First time fitting an Army Mount stem 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: First time fitting an Army Mount stem   First time fitting an Army Mount stem EmptySun Jan 06, 2019 6:19 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Looks like a fine job Charles. Must've been very tricky getting the angle just right. Love me an army mount! Cool

It took a lot of fiddling for sure, Rande. Digital calipers were handy on this one to give a sense of diameters at the business end of the stem - it's a much flatter slope than I would have originally guessed. This is probably where a lot of DIYers go wrong trying to fit an army mount stem. If the cone is sloped too much then the only point of contact between stem and mortise is the inner edge of the metal shank cap. This will make the stem wobble and render the pipe nearly impossible to smoke.

As I only had one stem available to work with, I made sure to take my time, remove stock slowly and test-fit often. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

First time fitting an Army Mount stem
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Pipe Techniques-
Jump to: