HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Grand Canyon

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

Grand Canyon Empty
PostSubject: Grand Canyon   Grand Canyon EmptyTue Jan 15, 2019 7:38 pm

All-

Now that I reside in AZ I am formulating plans to visit the Grand Canyon later this year. I've never been there, and would like to solicit your advice and input on where to go and what to see.

For this initial sojourn, I'll be limited to just a few days and it would seem prudent to concentrate on either the South or North Rim. Apparently the North Rim is less visited and therefore less congested. It also looks as though it has less accommodations available.

I won't be camping so will have to rely on motels/hotels/cabins. And the costs of the Grand Lodge are far beyond my modest means.

I'm fairly fit and would be interested in day hikes. Doing the Colorado rafting lark is on my bucket list but not destined for this initial reconnoiter.

So whattaya got? this would probably be July-Aug if it happens.

TIA

Cheers,

RR

Grand Canyon Purple11x 2Grand Canyon Bombx10Grand Canyon BombGrand Canyon BombGrand Canyon D6bddf10 Grand Canyon 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

Grand Canyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand Canyon   Grand Canyon EmptyWed Jan 16, 2019 12:13 am

We stopped at the South rim once many many years ago on a day trip as we were passing through. Unfortunately it was so long ago that any info I have would be horribly outdated. I wish you luck and hope you enjoy yourself.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

Grand Canyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand Canyon   Grand Canyon EmptyWed Jan 16, 2019 4:32 am

My wifeís father was a driller up on the faces...hanginí in a harness or on a scaffold. Her side of the family is rightfully proud.

Grand Canyon D6bddf10Grand Canyon 29400910Grand Canyon 114e6110Grand Canyon Ddb39b10Grand Canyon Cf77ce10Grand Canyon Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Grand Canyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand Canyon   Grand Canyon EmptyWed Jan 16, 2019 7:44 pm

57 views and no direct experience or advice? C'mon gang, you can do better than that! Surely some here have been and can speak with authority on the features and such.

Exclamation

Blackhorse wrote:
My wifeís father was a driller up on the faces...hanginí in a harness or on a scaffold. Her side of the family is rightfully proud.

Dave, what faces are those? When I think of faces my mind goes to Mt. Rushmore. Are there faces in the Grand Canyon as well?

Question

Cheers,

RR

Grand Canyon Purple11x 2Grand Canyon Bombx10Grand Canyon BombGrand Canyon BombGrand Canyon D6bddf10 Grand Canyon 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

Grand Canyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand Canyon   Grand Canyon EmptyWed Jan 16, 2019 8:15 pm

Last time I went to the grand Canyon I was about knee high to a grasshopper. Always planned on going when I lived in AZ but never got around to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

Grand Canyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand Canyon   Grand Canyon EmptyWed Jan 16, 2019 8:24 pm

Hmpgh! Thatís the last time I listen to my wife. She saw this and was yapping about Rushmore so I just thought that it was. lol

And no, my father in law didnít carve the Grand Canyon.

Grand Canyon D6bddf10Grand Canyon 29400910Grand Canyon 114e6110Grand Canyon Ddb39b10Grand Canyon Cf77ce10Grand Canyon Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Grand Canyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand Canyon   Grand Canyon EmptyWed Jan 16, 2019 9:40 pm

BD...I can tell ya' about Prescott, Jerome, Cottonwood, and Sedona! My last visit to the Grand Canyon was 50 years ago next month, following commissioning into the USAF in San Antonio, on my way to flight training. We visited Flagstaff then up to the South Rim. Al I can tell ya' is it's a beautiful work of art by Mother Nature!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
peanubutter

peanubutter

Registration date : 2019-01-20

Grand Canyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand Canyon   Grand Canyon EmptyWed Jan 23, 2019 5:47 pm

There is a couple who full time RV and have videos on the Grand Canyon. A quick google search on, less junk more journey grand canyon, shows links for various videos. Might help you in some way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

Grand Canyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand Canyon   Grand Canyon EmptyWed Jan 23, 2019 6:20 pm

I was in the area in the late 90s. As it appeared to me, the South Rim is built for tourists, the less mobile, the aged, and those less inclined to hike down the canyon. Not that you couldn't hike down the canyon from the South Rim, but it is tailored for automobile traffic. The North Rim, as you suggested, is built for off-road vehicles with dirt and gravel roads. It's the road much less traveled up there. If you seek solitude, even if not hiking or backpacking, I would recommend the North Rim. There isn't much solitude on the south side. It's busy. There's also a heck of a lot more to do on the south side. Depending on budget, I believe you can take a helicopter down to the bottom and visit the reservation. That was pre-09/11 though. I wouldn't be surprised if it is all changed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Grand Canyon Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grand Canyon   Grand Canyon EmptyFri Jan 25, 2019 7:00 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
I was in the area in the late 90s. †As it appeared to me, the South Rim is built for tourists, the less mobile, the aged, and those less inclined to hike down the canyon. †Not that you couldn't hike down the canyon from the South Rim, but it is tailored for automobile traffic. †The North Rim, as you suggested, is built for off-road vehicles with dirt and gravel roads. †It's the road much less traveled up there. †If you seek solitude, even if not hiking or backpacking, I would recommend the North Rim. †There isn't much solitude on the south side. †It's busy. †There's also a heck of a lot more to do on the south side. †Depending on budget, I believe you can take a helicopter down to the bottom and visit the reservation. †That was pre-09/11 though. †I wouldn't be surprised if it is all changed.

Much as I thought and thanks for the confirmation Zeno. I had been thinking about the North Rim for just those reasons and this confirms it. I'll put some time and thought into planning to concentrate on that initially.

I also am considering a rafting trip down the Colorado River. One of my old band mates from WI is planning on doing that and I told him to lmk when, since I might join him.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down

Grand Canyon
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: