HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Hobbies Besides Pipes and Tobacco

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Penguin

Penguin

Age : 33
Location : Colorado Springs, CO
Registration date : 2019-02-11

PostSubject: Hobbies Besides Pipes and Tobacco   Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:06 am

I'm curious about other hobbies y'all have. I know there's a section on the profile for everyone to list their hobbies, but I thought we might have a more in-depth discussion.

Today I'm back to working on my novel after being away from it for a while. I've also been skipping my piano lessons for a few weeks, but it's time to pick that up again. I let life get me too busy for those things I really enjoy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Moderator
Brewdude

Age : 66
Location : Arid-zona
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies Besides Pipes and Tobacco   Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:36 am

I'm a musician. Compose, perform, and record. More than a hobby really, more like a way of life. Beyond that I'm a voracious reader.

Cheers,

RR

_________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin


x 2
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
Penguin

Penguin

Age : 33
Location : Colorado Springs, CO
Registration date : 2019-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies Besides Pipes and Tobacco   Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:46 am

Brewdude wrote:
I'm a musician. Compose, perform, and record. More than a hobby really, more like a way of life. Beyond that I'm a voracious reader.

Cheers,

RR

Music--learning it, playing it, writing it--does tend to take over in a way that's beyond a casual hobby. I've learned as much in learning the basics of music and playing the piano. Is there a genre you lean toward, or are your musical pursuits kind of all over the place?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Moderator
Brewdude

Age : 66
Location : Arid-zona
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies Besides Pipes and Tobacco   Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:52 am

Penguin wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
I'm a musician. Compose, perform, and record. More than a hobby really, more like a way of life. Beyond that I'm a voracious reader.

Cheers,

RR

Music--learning it, playing it, writing it--does tend to take over in a way that's beyond a casual hobby. I've learned as much in learning the basics of music and playing the piano. Is there a genre you lean toward, or are your musical pursuits kind of all over the place?

I appreciate a wide variety of genres and styles.


Cheers,

RR

_________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin


x 2
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Age : 38
Location : NC
Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies Besides Pipes and Tobacco   Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:22 pm

Coffee, I don't remember when I went from just drinking it to a hobby. I love all things coffee, I currently roast my own, and have thousands of dollars in brewing equipment. I also cycle and run.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies Besides Pipes and Tobacco   Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:47 pm

Music. It's been a true love since I was a very young child. Music was the first thing I saved chore/allowance money to buy. Grew into me having my own small record label for a while (which isn't unique or special in relation to the type of music I was peddling). Now I'd say my hobby has moved beyond music and into sound, because I love so many genres of music that also includes field recordings and the experimental. Nothing else compares to my obsession with music.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Age : 69
Location : From the prarie of KS. to Lake of the Ozarks, MO.
Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies Besides Pipes and Tobacco   Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:04 pm

I enjoy listening to music and collecting vinyl records and cd's. Mostly 60-70's rock. Country music and blues also. I also have been into trains and model railroading since the 70's. Played piano for a while but the arthritic hands kept me from that. I gave it up some years ago. Now I'm trying to learn how to play the harmonica! I used to enjoy working on cars and woodworking, but that's gone by the wayside also. Pipes and tobacco take up most of my spare time and what little money I can spend on it now. I don't know if it is really a hobby, but I enjoy watching sports, auto racing, and game shows on tv. I also enjoy reading, especially civil war and military. Unfortunately, I forget what I read!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

Age : 49
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies Besides Pipes and Tobacco   Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:17 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Penguin wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
I'm a musician. Compose, perform, and record. More than a hobby really, more like a way of life. Beyond that I'm a voracious reader.

Cheers,

RR

Music--learning it, playing it, writing it--does tend to take over in a way that's beyond a casual hobby. I've learned as much in learning the basics of music and playing the piano. Is there a genre you lean toward, or are your musical pursuits kind of all over the place?

I appreciate a wide variety of genres and styles.


Cheers,

RR

I can vouch for that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

Age : 49
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies Besides Pipes and Tobacco   Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:33 pm

Too many, but let's have go.

Hillwalking / mountaineering, photography, the natural world, reading (National Geographic, adventure journals, campaigns of WWII, POW escape attempts), fly fishing, music, guitar, cycling, aero modelling, Scouting, and involving my children in all of these.

And not enough time to do any of them!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Age : 38
Location : NC
Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies Besides Pipes and Tobacco   Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:28 pm

Corncobcon wrote:
I enjoy listening to music and collecting vinyl records and cd's. Mostly 60-70's rock.  Country music and blues also. I also have been into trains and model railroading since the 70's.  Played piano for a while but the arthritic hands kept me from that.  I gave it up some years ago.  Now I'm trying to learn how to play the harmonica!  I used to enjoy working on cars and woodworking, but that's gone by the wayside also. Pipes and tobacco take up most of my spare time and what little money I can spend on it now. I don't know if it is really a hobby, but I enjoy watching sports, auto racing, and game shows on tv. I also enjoy reading, especially civil war and military. Unfortunately, I forget what I read!

I anyways wanted to get into model railroading but just never got around to it.
I used to dui a lot of rock climbing but have not the opportunity to go the last few years
Back to top Go down
View user profile
peanubutter

peanubutter

Age : 60
Location : Cheyenne, WY
Registration date : 2019-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies Besides Pipes and Tobacco   Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:17 pm

I have a few hobbies but everything is on hold until the wife's son gets done with knee therapy in a few months. I run him to appointments while the wife is working. Good thing I retired, huh. Anyway, fishing, cycling, walking, and camping. I still have motorcycles but my interest in that has dropped since the wife doesn't like to ride. A smoke in the hot tub when the weather permits is my favorite hobby.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Age : 52
Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies Besides Pipes and Tobacco   Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:44 pm

Well thanks to back issues many hobbies fell to the wayside, golf, hiking, running, etc. I also roast my own coffee and use to own a high end coffeehouse until the market crisis tanked everything. I also play poker quite often. Tournaments at the local B&M and games with friends which has some real challenging players of all types. I also go to the outer banks at Cape Lookout and camp in late fall surf fishing for red drum and blues.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Age : 38
Location : NC
Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies Besides Pipes and Tobacco   Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:22 pm

GeoffC wrote:
Well thanks to back issues many hobbies fell to the wayside, golf, hiking, running, etc.   I also roast my own coffee and use to own a high end coffeehouse until the market crisis tanked everything.   I also play poker quite often.  Tournaments at the local B&M and games with friends which has some real challenging players of all types.   I also go to the outer banks at Cape Lookout and camp in late fall surf fishing for red drum and blues.

Is love yo own my own coffee house
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin
Carlos

Age : 61
Location : Chestnut, IL
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies Besides Pipes and Tobacco   Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:29 pm

Thank God for coffee!

And vinyl for the turntable!

A number of us here are ham radio operators. Many like the shooting sports. There are some sub-forums for some of those pursuits.

_________________


"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Penguin

Penguin

Age : 33
Location : Colorado Springs, CO
Registration date : 2019-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies Besides Pipes and Tobacco   Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:58 am

I've recently made progress in getting my concealed carry permit, and finally chiseled down my options to what I want as far as the hardware.

Also, I don't know if you'd call it a hobby, per se, but I collect penguin stuff. Nothing related to the Batman villain or the hockey team, but I have a collection of leather patches a friend made, a wine bottle, candle holder, a few photos, some stuffed animals, and an egg timer. I also have a number of movies related to penguins. It's difficult to find penguin stuff that is more "classy" and less "cutesy," but I've managed. I'd like to get some penguin artwork, especially this one.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lee Pattison



Registration date : 2019-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies Besides Pipes and Tobacco   Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:45 pm

Ref pistol permits, here in the Empire State, counties can tack on already restrictive rules ex. Duel ownership, some will not allow. This means family permit holders must turn over same.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Age : 46
Location : Northern, CA
Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies Besides Pipes and Tobacco   Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:21 pm

Like Rande, heavy doses of playing music & reading. I also enjoy cooking & gardening.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Age : 62
Location : Cornelius, NC
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies Besides Pipes and Tobacco   Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:14 pm

There are 3 existing threads on this with 190 replies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eggman
Cornholio
eggman

Age : 47
Location : West Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies Besides Pipes and Tobacco   Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:46 pm

Other than pipes and cigars and tobaccos. I enjoy operating ham radio, camping, fishing, hunting, fountain pens, Boy Scouts and the occasional comic book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Penguin

Penguin

Age : 33
Location : Colorado Springs, CO
Registration date : 2019-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies Besides Pipes and Tobacco   Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:57 pm

hobie1dog wrote:
There are 3 existing threads on this with 190 replies.

I did a search and didn't come up with anything, but I could have easily missed something. Apparently so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Age : 62
Location : Cornelius, NC
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Hobbies Besides Pipes and Tobacco   Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:38 am

Penguin wrote:
hobie1dog wrote:
There are 3 existing threads on this with 190 replies.

I did a search and didn't come up with anything, but I could have easily missed something. Apparently so.

Type in "Hobbies" in the search window and the 3 threads show up.

Mine are sex, stereos, high power rocketry, ham radio, cigars, in that order.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Hobbies Besides Pipes and Tobacco
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: