HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Discord Chat

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

Discord Chat Empty
PostSubject: Discord Chat   Discord Chat EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 2:15 pm

I created a permanent group for Brothers of Briar that would like to interactively chat at night, morning, whenever on Discord.

Discord is pretty easy to use and has a free desktop and mobile apps. To use go to https://discordapp.com/download and select the appropriate client. Open the app and create a new user if you don't have one by registering.

Once registered click on this invite to join the group https://discord.gg/bzQ9Tbu

Advantages are if you have the app open you don't timeout, easy to use, can send direct messages. We can create multiple channels but for now I think one should suffice.

Hoping the Brotherhood enjoys chatting while having their evening / morning / whenever smokes!

Let me know if you have any issues.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

Discord Chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discord Chat   Discord Chat EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 4:02 pm

That's very good Geoff. Very interested to see how this pans out. I'll be getting myself set up over the weekend Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

Discord Chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discord Chat   Discord Chat EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 4:47 pm

Thanks! What fun!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

Discord Chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discord Chat   Discord Chat EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 5:40 pm

For those of us non tech savvy mortals, can you explain what this app is, how it works, any negatives? I just looked at the download page for it in the Apple app store and it says it is a gaming voice and text app. Usually anything gaming I walk away from.

Stick

Stick

Discord Chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discord Chat   Discord Chat EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 6:50 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
For those of us non tech savvy mortals, can you explain what this app is, how it works, any negatives? I just looked at the download page for it in the Apple app store and it says it is a gaming voice and text app. Usually anything gaming I walk away from.

Me too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Discord Chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discord Chat   Discord Chat EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 9:27 pm

The app was made for gamers to do group chats while they play together. That is pretty much the extent of it. It is a message app that allows you to create channels for various topics, for us I see no need other then one channel. It also has a group voice chat that can also be broken down to channels, which I doubt we would need but it is there. Think of channels as topics on our forum. It is no different then Slack, another messaging app other then Slack requires paid or it is difficult to add people.

Channels can be muted, notifications turned off. It has features for managing membership, banning bad actors and such similar to this forum. Only difference is it is real time group messaging and very easy to use.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Discord Chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discord Chat   Discord Chat EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 11:28 pm

Here is an example of the Discord group I did for the local B&M.  Blurred out some text since I don't have permission to show folks actual chats or names.

Discord Chat VDmQGy8

See full size image at https://i.imgur.com/VDmQGy8.png
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zanaspus

Zanaspus

Registration date : 2009-12-27

Discord Chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discord Chat   Discord Chat EmptySat Mar 09, 2019 7:59 am

Being a gamer, I can assure folks that there is nothing intrinsically "gaming" about discord. It was simply created to fill a need in the gaming community, i.e. a free platform where gaming raiders could talk in real time. It has since become sort of the de facto chat engine for virtually anything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

Discord Chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discord Chat   Discord Chat EmptySat Mar 09, 2019 8:51 am

OK, one more question then. We already have a chat feature at the bottom of the home page, nobody ever seems to use it. How would this be different?

Stick

Stick

Discord Chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discord Chat   Discord Chat EmptySat Mar 09, 2019 10:11 am

If my understanding's correct, the main difference will be video versus text.

My thoughts are it'll be nice on the odd occasion to share a smoke with some like minded types from the BoB. It's extremely rare that I get to share a pipe with anyone so it would be nice to have the means to do so. Doubt I'll be able to spend much time there due to family commitments but it'll be great to have that option when I do. Keen to explore an opportunity and see how it goes. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Discord Chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discord Chat   Discord Chat EmptySat Mar 09, 2019 11:00 am

Discord does not do video chat, I have it setup to do text chat only.

The difference between the chat window on the front page vs Discord and why I believe nobody uses it:

• Chat window is widget vs Discord is a full blown application
  • When you join the chat window you don't see history inline and have to interrupt chat by opening another window vs Discord history is preserved and scroll able even if everyone logged off
  • Chat window puts a login in count in 6 pt font on the front page. If you are like most users you never look at the front page and just use Recent threads feature. Likewise the chat window does not notify you when a new message is posted. Discord app will notify you when posts are made just like your text message app on Desktop or mobile apps
  • Chat window is not conducive to mobile use. Discord has mobile apps tailored to the experience.
  • Chat window logs you out after 10 minutes of inactivity. Discord does not log you out if the app is open.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zanaspus

Zanaspus

Registration date : 2009-12-27

Discord Chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discord Chat   Discord Chat EmptySat Mar 09, 2019 12:44 pm

Just curious....why not set up a voice channel?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Discord Chat Empty
PostSubject: Re: Discord Chat   Discord Chat EmptySat Mar 09, 2019 3:24 pm

Zanaspus wrote:
Just curious....why not set up a voice channel?

I'll add it if folks want it. Just didn't want to confuse the 1st time Discord users.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Discord Chat
Page 1 of 1