At it again...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

Registration date : 2012-02-23

At it again... Empty
PostSubject: At it again...   At it again... EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 6:40 pm

Lucked out guys! I received two 100g tins this afternoon... it’s getting transferred to a jar today (with a Couple BIG bowls left out for enjoyment) and pushed to the very back of my cellar!
(The 50g tin was already in my possession).

At it again... Ed6c7b10

Here’s this afternoons smoke;

At it again... 8714ff10

(Forgive the “filter”. My wife is trying to show me how to use Instagram... Rolling Eyes )
Zach
Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

At it again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: At it again...   At it again... EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 7:15 pm

Well, that all looks jolly good to me old chap.

Good for you Zach!
Back to top Go down
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

At it again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: At it again...   At it again... EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 7:25 pm

Thank You Mr. Stick!
It was beyond satisfactory.
Back to top Go down
daveinlax

daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

At it again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: At it again...   At it again... EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 9:55 pm

GuitarMyFriend wrote:
Lucked out guys! I received two 100g tins this afternoon... it’s getting transferred to a jar today (with a Couple BIG bowls left out for enjoyment) and pushed to the very back of my cellar!
I hope you didn't crack a tin just to jar it. That would be a mistake. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

At it again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: At it again...   At it again... EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 9:58 pm

Wowsers! Clean livin' prevails, eh? Nice score! Enjoy those smokes brother!
Back to top Go down
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

At it again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: At it again...   At it again... EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 10:10 pm

daveinlax wrote:
GuitarMyFriend wrote:

Uh-oh!!! Why would that be a mistake?!?

Zach
Back to top Go down
Zanaspus

Zanaspus

Registration date : 2009-12-27

At it again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: At it again...   At it again... EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 10:14 pm

GuitarMyFriend wrote:
daveinlax wrote:
GuitarMyFriend wrote:

Zach

It's already in the process of fermentation in the tin. Jarring just sets back the process of time a bit. Nothing major imho. Oh, and cheers
Back to top Go down
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

At it again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: At it again...   At it again... EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 10:26 pm

Zanaspus wrote:
GuitarMyFriend wrote:
daveinlax wrote:
GuitarMyFriend wrote:

Zach

It's already in the process of fermentation in the tin. Jarring just sets back the process of time a bit. Nothing major imho. Oh, and  cheers

Ok! Phew. I actually knew that when opening the tins it’d slow that process, but I read a couple of horror stories about guys cracking those tins and finding rust on the inside or appearing to be sealed and not being sealed... I keep a close eye on my cellar, and thoroughly inspect the rings and lids before jarring. I do check all my seals regularly also. Tip-top shape!

Zach
Back to top Go down
peanubutter

peanubutter

Registration date : 2019-01-20

At it again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: At it again...   At it again... EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 10:36 pm

Nice score and enjoy.
Back to top Go down
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

At it again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: At it again...   At it again... EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 10:39 pm

That is a picture of pure satisfaction!
Back to top Go down
daveinlax

daveinlax

At it again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: At it again...   At it again... EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 10:42 am

GuitarMyFriend wrote:

Ok! Phew. I actually knew that when opening the tins it’d slow that process, but I read a couple of horror stories about guys cracking those tins and finding rust on the inside or appearing to be sealed and not being sealed... I keep a close eye on my cellar, and thoroughly inspect the rings and lids before jarring. I do check all my seals regularly also. Tip-top shape!

That's the older GLP tins that rusted. McClelland has never had any issues with mold or rust that I'm aware of. You didn't slow the processes you stopped it and the process will never fully recover.

IMO that's not a big deal what is, is that you killed most of the possible resale value. Yeah, I know you bought it to smoke but that's what everyone says before they decide to sell. Shocked
Back to top Go down
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

At it again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: At it again...   At it again... EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 12:02 pm

daveinlax wrote:
GuitarMyFriend wrote:

That's the older GLP tins that rusted. McClelland has never had any issues with mold or rust that I'm aware of. You didn't slow the processes you stopped it and the process will never fully recover.

IMO that's not a big deal what is, is that you killed most of the possible resale value. Yeah, I know you bought it to smoke but that's what everyone says before they decide to sell. Shocked

I just read a story on pipe studs website about a McClelland Tin rusting. I’m not terribly upset about resale value, as this is in my top 5 favorite blends, that I’m certain I will enjoy for years to come. To boot, I also have a tin of Navy Cavendish, and a tin of No. 25 Virginia from ‘06 and ‘99 I can pawn if times get tough. I do have a question though; what about bulk tobaccos, that venders put in a bag, then sellers put in another bag, then we put in a jar? Should they just not be kept long term?

Zach
Back to top Go down
daveinlax

daveinlax

At it again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: At it again...   At it again... EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 12:15 pm

GuitarMyFriend wrote:
daveinlax wrote:
GuitarMyFriend wrote:

I just read a story on pipe studs website about a McClelland Tin rusting.  I’m not terribly upset about resale value, as this is in my top 5 favorite blends, that I’m certain I will enjoy for years to come. To boot, I also have a tin of Navy Cavendish, and a tin of No. 25 Virginia from ‘06 and ‘99 I can pawn if times get tough. I do have a question though; what about bulk tobaccos, that venders put in a bag, then sellers put in another bag, then we put in a jar? Should they just not be kept long term?

Zach
I jar bulk tobacco. If the tobacco is sealed in a Mylar bag I leave it alone. I'll have to take a look at Fallon's Pipestud consignment site. As far as I've known McC's tins have always been lined. Shocked
Back to top Go down
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

At it again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: At it again...   At it again... EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 12:21 pm

daveinlax wrote:
GuitarMyFriend wrote:
daveinlax wrote:
GuitarMyFriend wrote:

I just read a story on pipe studs website about a McClelland Tin rusting.  I’m not terribly upset about resale value, as this is in my top 5 favorite blends, that I’m certain I will enjoy for years to come. To boot, I also have a tin of Navy Cavendish, and a tin of No. 25 Virginia from ‘06 and ‘99 I can pawn if times get tough. I do have a question though; what about bulk tobaccos, that venders put in a bag, then sellers put in another bag, then we put in a jar? Should they just not be kept long term?

Zach
I jar bulk tobacco. If the tobacco is sealed in a Mylar bag I leave it alone. I'll have to take a look at Fallon's Pipestud consignment site. As far as I've known McC's tins have always been lined. Shocked

Yeah, it was sad story. I believe the rust came about in between the lining and the tin. That would tear me to pieces of I opened a tin of tobacco I had aging specifically to smoke and it was ruined! It may sound silly, but I plan to only smoke my Blackwoods Flake on my daughters birthday. (Not including the bowl I’m having now that I left out of the jar! Laughing )

Zach
Back to top Go down
Timbo

Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

At it again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: At it again...   At it again... EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 10:06 pm

Here’s the Dark Lord’s thoughts on the matter.

http://glpease.com/BriarAndLeaf/?p=65

And yes, jar up those bulks to stop them drying out etc., the lack of an airtight seal may account for the differing taste I find between tinned and bulk of the same blend.
Back to top Go down
GuitarMyFriend

GuitarMyFriend

At it again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: At it again...   At it again... EmptySun Mar 17, 2019 12:00 am

Hey Timbo!
Thanks for that read! Very insightful!

Zach
Back to top Go down
ftrplt

ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

At it again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: At it again...   At it again... EmptySun Mar 17, 2019 4:10 pm

My ROT (rule of thumb)...Mylar is OK as long as I can't detect any tobacco odor. Regular baggies, only for very short-term; otherwise, into the glass! Most bulks I jar upon receipt!! Tins, I just let'em stay in the tin/s although I check the square/rectangular ones for the "smell" test. So far, no problems!!!! Never had a problem with "pop-tops," and some of mine are from the '90's! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
Timbo

Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

At it again... Empty
PostSubject: Re: At it again...   At it again... EmptySun Mar 17, 2019 6:38 pm

No worries Zach, the rest of his site is quite informative too and congrats on the McClelland score, some tasty stuff there mate.
Back to top Go down

At it again...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: PAD & TAD-
Jump to: