G&H Dark Flake

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

G&H Dark Flake Empty
PostSubject: G&H Dark Flake   G&H Dark Flake EmptySun Apr 07, 2019 5:52 am

Phewweee… First time smoking this. Tossed some into a larger than average bowl and a third of the way in I had to put the pipe down and gather myself. I say, it's a rather stiff 'baccy, what?

Bloomin' nice though!
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

G&H Dark Flake Empty
PostSubject: Re: G&H Dark Flake   G&H Dark Flake EmptySun Apr 07, 2019 7:26 am

Too bloody strong for the likes of me. Kicks my scrawny arse and gives me the hics! I do like the flavour though.

pale

Cheers?

RR

G&H Dark Flake Purple11x 2G&H Dark Flake Bombx10  G&H Dark Flake Bombx7G&H Dark Flake D6bddf10 G&H Dark Flake 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

G&H Dark Flake Empty
PostSubject: Re: G&H Dark Flake   G&H Dark Flake EmptySun Apr 07, 2019 8:27 am

Perhaps i need to get me some, don't think i have ever tried it but i do like a strong tobacco
Back to top Go down
Zanaspus

Zanaspus

Registration date : 2009-12-27

G&H Dark Flake Empty
PostSubject: Re: G&H Dark Flake   G&H Dark Flake EmptySun Apr 07, 2019 8:48 am

A firm favorite in my stable. Few things kick butt as exquisitely.
Back to top Go down
scottbtdmb

scottbtdmb

Registration date : 2010-02-19

G&H Dark Flake Empty
PostSubject: Re: G&H Dark Flake   G&H Dark Flake EmptySun Apr 07, 2019 8:51 am

Dark Flake is a tobacco that just begs to be aged. Oddly enough, I have a 9 year old stash that smokes “good”, but was recently sent a 15 year old sample which smokes “superb”. It seems to have lost off the rough edges and has developed a creaminess to it that I’ve never gotten in any other vintage. Regardless of the age though, you certainly want to smoke it in a smaller pipe, preferably after a big meal. Goes great with coffee or better yet some single malt scotch.

For those who like Dark Flake u/s, the plug is even better. I was recently bombed, and received a very old sample of Dark Plug with sugar crystals galore. Smokes like a dream! I have yet to try the scented version of Dark Flake, but just ordered a few oz to try from SmokingPipes.

-Scott
Back to top Go down
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

G&H Dark Flake Empty
PostSubject: Re: G&H Dark Flake   G&H Dark Flake EmptySun Apr 07, 2019 8:57 pm

Haven't had the Dark Flake yet. Just the Rum Twist, Brown Bogie and Best Brown #4. Guess it is time to expand my horizons!
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

G&H Dark Flake Empty
PostSubject: Re: G&H Dark Flake   G&H Dark Flake EmptySun Apr 07, 2019 10:16 pm

I love the scented version in small doses, it is really good and strikes a nice balance between stout tobacco flavor, subtle bitterness and Kendal florals. Good stuff, and a little goes a long way. lol!
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

G&H Dark Flake Empty
PostSubject: Re: G&H Dark Flake   G&H Dark Flake EmptySun Apr 07, 2019 10:29 pm

GeoffC wrote:
Haven't had the Dark Flake yet.  Just the Rum Twist, Brown Bogie and Best Brown #4.  Guess it is time to expand my horizons!

Dark Flake and it’s pappy...Dark Plug have a kind of dark fired character that sets them apart.  Yes, they’re strong but no more so than most twists, etc.  To me, the Unscented is as straight as GW gets while the Scented is a garden of floral delights.  The Scented is one of my top three favorite GH blends...along with Broken Flake #7 and what I’ll call generic sweet brown twist (maple, rum, whiskey & licorice).

Indeed, small pipes. That strength is one of the big pluses as you don’t have to dedicate an hour if you just need a fix. Um, so to speak.  I like ‘em in a tallish narrow...or a Dublin.  All do wonderfully well in a Cob...a match absolutely made in heaven. But how good they are has less to do with the pipe, unlike a finicky VA or Balkan, and everything to do with the weed...IMHO.

G&H Dark Flake D6bddf10G&H Dark Flake 29400910G&H Dark Flake 114e6110G&H Dark Flake Ddb39b10G&H Dark Flake Cf77ce10G&H Dark Flake Dd692012
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

G&H Dark Flake Empty
PostSubject: Re: G&H Dark Flake   G&H Dark Flake EmptyMon Apr 08, 2019 2:09 am

Blackhorse wrote:

Dark Flake and it’s pappy...Dark Plug have a kind of dark fired character that sets them apart.  Yes, they’re strong but no more so than most twists, etc.  To me, the Unscented is as straight as GW gets while the Scented is a garden of floral delights.  The Scented is one of my top three favorite GH blends...along with Broken Flake #7 and what I’ll call generic sweet brown twist (maple, rum, whiskey & licorice).

Indeed, small pipes.  That strength is one of the big pluses as you don’t have to dedicate an hour if you just need a fix.  Um, so to speak.  I like ‘em in a tallish narrow...or a Dublin.  All do wonderfully well in a Cob...a match absolutely made in heaven.  But how good they are has less to do with the pipe, unlike a finicky VA or Balkan, and everything to do with the weed...IMHO.

This! Cool
Back to top Go down
scottbtdmb

scottbtdmb

G&H Dark Flake Empty
PostSubject: Re: G&H Dark Flake   G&H Dark Flake EmptyMon Apr 08, 2019 9:02 am

Blackhorse wrote:
GeoffC wrote:
Haven't had the Dark Flake yet.  Just the Rum Twist, Brown Bogie and Best Brown #4.  Guess it is time to expand my horizons!

Indeed, small pipes.  That strength is one of the big pluses as you don’t have to dedicate an hour if you just need a fix.  Um, so to speak.  I like ‘em in a tallish narrow...or a Dublin.  All do wonderfully well in a Cob...a match absolutely made in heaven.  But how good they are has less to do with the pipe, unlike a finicky VA or Balkan, and everything to do with the weed...IMHO.

Looks like my Dark Flake scented is scheduled to come today! I’m definitely going to try it in a cob, or perhaps in a clay that I was just gifted by a Brother.

Had some of that vintage Dark Plug on Sat nite while enjoying a fire out in the backyard. It was absolutely heavenly, and the scotch I was drinking (Grangestone 12 yr) was a worthy accompaniment!

-Scott
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

G&H Dark Flake Empty
PostSubject: Re: G&H Dark Flake   G&H Dark Flake EmptyMon Apr 08, 2019 9:12 am

The aroma of your fresh Dark Flake Scented will be seriously floral and might be potent beyond your wildest dreams.  Makes your eyes water.  It’s a good thing.  The fresh stuff is my favorite.  For me, a bowl of Dark Plug Scented and a snifter of Monkey Shoulder is close to heaven.  Enjoy.

G&H Dark Flake D6bddf10G&H Dark Flake 29400910G&H Dark Flake 114e6110G&H Dark Flake Ddb39b10G&H Dark Flake Cf77ce10G&H Dark Flake Dd692012
Back to top Go down
Zanaspus

Zanaspus

Registration date : 2009-12-27

G&H Dark Flake Empty
PostSubject: Re: G&H Dark Flake   G&H Dark Flake EmptyMon Apr 08, 2019 12:08 pm

If you decide you like Dark Flake Scented, may I also recommend Conniston Cut Plug; flowery, strong and different.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

G&H Dark Flake Empty
PostSubject: Re: G&H Dark Flake   G&H Dark Flake EmptyMon Apr 08, 2019 12:55 pm

Zanaspus wrote:
If you decide you like Dark Flake Scented, may I also recommend Conniston Cut Plug; flowery, strong and different.

Very different.

Back to top Go down
scottbtdmb

scottbtdmb

G&H Dark Flake Empty
PostSubject: Re: G&H Dark Flake   G&H Dark Flake EmptyMon Apr 08, 2019 7:24 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
The aroma of your fresh Dark Flake Scented will be seriously floral and might be potent beyond your wildest dreams.  Makes your eyes water.  It’s a good thing.  The fresh stuff is my favorite.  For me, a bowl of Dark Plug Scented and a snifter of Monkey Shoulder is close to heaven.  Enjoy.

Just smoked a bowl of the scented in a BriarWorks prince dedicated to strong Lakeland blends. Absolutely loved it from the very first puff! The toppings mellow out the base tobacco nicely without taking away from the flavor too much. Will try it next in a cob, but I’m hooked, and this is another that I will cellar deep! Haven’t had Monkey Shoulder, but will pick up a bottle when my Grangestone is finished.

As for the Coniston Cut Plug that someone else mentioned, these are certainly two very different blends. The tonquin is much more present with Coniston, while the toppings used in DF scented are all pretty balanced where I can’t really pick out one distinct flavor. Both are worth having around IMO.

-Scott
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

G&H Dark Flake Empty
PostSubject: Re: G&H Dark Flake   G&H Dark Flake EmptyWed Apr 10, 2019 11:31 pm

GH Dark Flake just kicks my ass. Hiccups galore. Curiously, Irish Flake used to be pretty similar back when it came in the smaller rectangle tins. Something changed though. GHDF is just too much of a good thing for the E. pale

-Yak
Back to top Go down

G&H Dark Flake
Page 1 of 1