HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Something to ponder, an email from Blue Room Briars

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

Something to ponder, an email from Blue Room Briars Empty
PostSubject: Something to ponder, an email from Blue Room Briars   Something to ponder, an email from Blue Room Briars EmptyTue 09 Apr 2019, 20:57

If a man smokes a pipe in the forest...

Much like the old question of a tree falling, if you smoke your pipe alone do you really "smoke" your pipe. The empiricist in me thinks this is a rather silly question, but the philosopher knows this to be a valid line of inquiry. While the image of a solitary smoker certainly applies to many of us, smoking alone is a valuable experience only to the smoker. Smoking in the company of others, whether a few good friends or in some other public space, conveys meaning beyond the internal.

Yes, I smoke my pipe whether I'm alone or not. I puff on my pipe, I chew on my pipe stem, I smoke my pipe, simply put.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puffy

Puffy

Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Something to ponder, an email from Blue Room Briars   Something to ponder, an email from Blue Room Briars EmptyTue 09 Apr 2019, 22:55

Last time I was in a smoke shop the guy behind the counter was smoking a pipe.The other 3 guys there were smoking Cigars..I very seldom see another pipe smoker,so I'm almost always alone when I smoke a pipe,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Something to ponder, an email from Blue Room Briars   Something to ponder, an email from Blue Room Briars EmptyTue 09 Apr 2019, 23:34

Puffy wrote:
Last time I was in a smoke shop the guy behind the counter was smoking a pipe.The other 3 guys there were smoking Cigars..I very seldom see another pipe smoker,so I'm almost always alone when I smoke a pipe,

That's the way it is at Just for Him. Even the women who work there are smoking cigars.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocelot55

Ocelot55

Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Something to ponder, an email from Blue Room Briars   Something to ponder, an email from Blue Room Briars EmptyWed 10 Apr 2019, 22:43

Gee, when I wrote that I had no idea people would actually read it....

Glad it's sparking some conversation. Something to ponder, an email from Blue Room Briars 710492
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Something to ponder, an email from Blue Room Briars   Something to ponder, an email from Blue Room Briars EmptyThu 11 Apr 2019, 08:39

8 months ago I switched back to a pipe and was the only one at the B&M. Then another said you smoke a pipe too? And he started to smoke his pipe in the lounge. The owner was like, hmmm been a while and lit up his pipe. Next thing I know there were 5 new pipe smokers. The owner started to bring in pipe tobacco the beginning of the year and started to add more pipes other then the local carver that he sold on consignment for the last 18 months.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Natch

Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Something to ponder, an email from Blue Room Briars   Something to ponder, an email from Blue Room Briars EmptySat 13 Apr 2019, 20:28

I do 90% of my puffing solo, most of it in the woods behind my house, or on backpacking or canoe treks. With coffee in the morning, or other libation in the evening, it's a great way to watch the world wake up or go to rest.

When backpacking, I often think of that Robert Service Poem:

I have some friends, some honest friends,
and honest friends are few;
My pipe of briar, my open fire,
A book that's not too new.

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Something to ponder, an email from Blue Room Briars   Something to ponder, an email from Blue Room Briars EmptySat 13 Apr 2019, 21:16

Natch wrote:
I do 90% of my puffing solo, most of it in the woods behind my house, or on backpacking or canoe treks. With coffee in the morning, or other libation in the evening, it's a great way to watch the world wake up or go to rest.

When backpacking, I often think of  that Robert Service Poem:

I have some friends, some honest friends,
and honest friends are few;
My pipe of briar, my open fire,
A book that's not too new.

Natch

That's a great poem... Good to see you sir!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Something to ponder, an email from Blue Room Briars   Something to ponder, an email from Blue Room Briars EmptySun 14 Apr 2019, 04:15

I smoke mostly solo. Nobody out here with me smokes pipes so i have my cigars in the mail and will have people to smoke with one they arrive
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Something to ponder, an email from Blue Room Briars   Something to ponder, an email from Blue Room Briars EmptySun 14 Apr 2019, 10:17

Last nights poker game we had 5 pipe smokers at the table. Use to be I was the only one. Crazy game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eggman
Cornholio
eggman

Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Something to ponder, an email from Blue Room Briars   Something to ponder, an email from Blue Room Briars EmptySun 14 Apr 2019, 12:08

If I’m smoking please somebody throw some water on me. Because i’m on fire. Now if my pipe is smoking I’m normally by myself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Something to ponder, an email from Blue Room Briars
Page 1 of 1