HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Meerschaum Repair

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Timbo

Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

Meerschaum Repair Empty
PostSubject: Meerschaum Repair   Meerschaum Repair EmptySat May 04, 2019 1:07 am

G’day one and all, I’ve got a bit of a problem and would like some advice. I’ve a meer that has a vulcanite shim for the stem to push into that has come loose.

Meerschaum Repair C682f810

The shim goes into the stummel to avoid wear on the meer. I’ve tried PVA glue and let it cure for three days, however the shim came out when I removed the stem for cleaning after the pipe had cooled. Does anyone have any glue suggestions to fix the shim in place that are safe to smoke afterwards?

Thanks

Tim
Back to top Go down
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

Meerschaum Repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meerschaum Repair   Meerschaum Repair EmptySat May 04, 2019 1:57 pm

Gorilla Glue? Super Glue? Maybe some white caulking compound? I don't really know. I'm just thinking out loud.

Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

Meerschaum Repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meerschaum Repair   Meerschaum Repair EmptySat May 04, 2019 7:37 pm

Tim

Either Jesse Jones (Ocelot55) or riff raff (Al) would be a good one to sound out. No doubt they've dealt with this before.

Cheers,

RR

Meerschaum Repair Purple11x 3Meerschaum Repair Bombx10Meerschaum Repair Bombx10  Meerschaum Repair D6bddf10 Meerschaum Repair 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d Meerschaum Repair Cowboy13Meerschaum Repair 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
peanubutter

peanubutter

Registration date : 2019-01-20

Meerschaum Repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meerschaum Repair   Meerschaum Repair EmptySat May 04, 2019 7:59 pm

Interesting issue and hope to hear of the solution. scratch
Back to top Go down
Timbo

Timbo

Meerschaum Repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meerschaum Repair   Meerschaum Repair EmptySun May 05, 2019 3:58 am

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I’ll drop Jesse a note when he gets back from the Chicago show.
Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

Meerschaum Repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meerschaum Repair   Meerschaum Repair EmptyThu May 16, 2019 6:50 pm

Tim, it seems to me the issue is the smooth surface of the vulcanite insert. Rough it up with a file or coarse sandpaper that will help. As to "glue" the traditional item used on meers is egg white. It will take some time to dry but should do the trick nicely.

Jim
Back to top Go down
Timbo

Timbo

Meerschaum Repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Meerschaum Repair   Meerschaum Repair EmptyFri May 17, 2019 10:22 pm

Thanks for the advice Jim, I didn’t know that about egg white. The pipe is on it’s way to Jesse to fix up as I didn’t want bugger the pipe up as it is a grand little smoker.

Cheers

Tim
Back to top Go down

Meerschaum Repair
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: