HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Methods for Removing Rim Darkening

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BriarBeagle

BriarBeagle

Registration date : 2016-11-08

Methods for Removing Rim Darkening Empty
PostSubject: Methods for Removing Rim Darkening   Methods for Removing Rim Darkening EmptyFri May 17, 2019 10:40 pm

Howdy friends,

I was hoping to solicit some suggestions or capitalize on the long-time experience of some of our members.  Typically, when I get some rim darkening on my pipes and wish to clean them, I just give them a good wipedown with saliva and a paper towel.  What (if any) other methods do you gentlemen/women use to keep the rims of your briars looking fresh?  Are there some other techniques that can be used to clean up rim darkening that work better than the old spit-and-polish method?

Thanks in advance for the input.

BB
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Methods for Removing Rim Darkening   Methods for Removing Rim Darkening EmptySat May 18, 2019 1:57 am

I usually do the same, a bit of saliva and paper towel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Methods for Removing Rim Darkening   Methods for Removing Rim Darkening EmptySat May 18, 2019 3:20 am

Briar blues youtube channel has a couple videos. I'm not as rigid with technique, but it is a good one nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Methods for Removing Rim Darkening   Methods for Removing Rim Darkening EmptySat May 18, 2019 8:50 am

Yup. The digestive enzyme “salivary amylase” is a fair solvent for the rim tar that builds up. Lots of spit on a firm towel, etc. and some good old elbow grease will work.

Methods for Removing Rim Darkening D6bddf10Methods for Removing Rim Darkening 29400910Methods for Removing Rim Darkening 114e6110Methods for Removing Rim Darkening Ddb39b10Methods for Removing Rim Darkening Cf77ce10Methods for Removing Rim Darkening Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Methods for Removing Rim Darkening   Methods for Removing Rim Darkening EmptySat May 18, 2019 9:31 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Yup.  The digestive enzyme “salivary amylase” is a fair solvent for the rim tar that builds up.  Lots of spit on a firm towel, etc. and some good old elbow grease will work.

Yup. This is what I do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: Methods for Removing Rim Darkening   Methods for Removing Rim Darkening EmptyTue May 21, 2019 1:59 pm

I also use cold strong coffee that I wet a rag with and clean the tar off...some invert the rim of the chamber in cold coffee for a couple hours and it wipes right off...never had any issues arise from that method.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Methods for Removing Rim Darkening
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Pipe Techniques-
Jump to: