HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fight'n Hampsters

Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews) Empty
PostSubject: Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews)   Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews) EmptyWed May 22, 2019 9:14 pm

Been waiting for a while to get these, going back and forth with whether or not I should.  Glad I finally pulled the trigger.  Really neat idea to get to see what the different growing regions distinct flavor is like.

Sorry, the pic is obnoxiously large.  Embarassed

Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews) Golden11

Last edited by Fight'n Hampsters on Thu May 30, 2019 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zanaspus

Zanaspus

Registration date : 2009-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews)   Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews) EmptyWed May 22, 2019 10:38 pm

Nice! But what the heck is that? cyclops
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews)   Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews) EmptyThu May 23, 2019 10:07 am

Here is from the description at Pipes and Cigars:

Golden Triangle Collection is the best way for you to clearly see the differences in the special varietal Periques that Russ Ouellette had the opportunity to work with. To be able to detect the variation in the different growing regions, Russ created a mellow blend of bright Virginia and toasted Burley as a base, and the same amount of each of the four varietal Periques is added in exactly the same proportions. You'll be able to taste the nuances of each type and compare them clearly with this collection. To round out the uniqueness of this sampler, we're including a tin of straight St. James Perique for you to try in your own blends. For many years, the only commercially available Perique has been Acadian Perique, which is blended with Perique-processed dark air-cured tobaccos, but this is the real deal, made only from Perique tobaccos grown in the Golden Triangle.

South Vacherie - Exhibits distinct espresso notes with an herbal character with hints of white pepper - complex.

Paulina - Flinty, with a coffee note. Has a peppery sourness that you'll feel toward the back of your palate.

Belmont - Buttery, salty notes of brined olives with a bit of fruitiness, and some cayenne pepper on the finish.

Grand Point - Winey fruitiness with a bit of cocoa and sweet baking spices

Last edited by Fight'n Hampsters on Thu May 23, 2019 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zanaspus

Zanaspus

Registration date : 2009-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews)   Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews) EmptyThu May 23, 2019 10:34 am

Ah, thank you! I don't frequent that site, so I had no idea! They look interesting!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews)   Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews) EmptyThu May 23, 2019 10:49 am

I think having a base blend in each that is the same will really let you get a feel for the differences.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews)   Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews) EmptyThu May 23, 2019 3:04 pm

I have 3 quart jars of perique of unknown origin that about 6 years old. Open one of them and it will knock you out. I blend it with red Virginia and some accent variations. Love perique! I may have to pick up a set of those tins and do my own comparison doing the same blend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Valdus

Valdus

Registration date : 2019-05-15

PostSubject: Perique= Beware    Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews) EmptyThu May 23, 2019 5:00 pm

I had a friend that is into purity and simplicity in his tastes. Once me and a friend introduced him to perique. He wanted to smoke it straight, pure and simple. He was green within 2 minutes and nauseous within 4.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews)   Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews) EmptyThu May 23, 2019 10:38 pm

Valdus wrote:
I had a friend that is into purity and simplicity in his tastes. Once me and a friend introduced him to perique. He wanted to smoke it straight, pure and simple. He was green within 2 minutes and nauseous within 4.

😁
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews)   Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews) EmptyFri May 24, 2019 3:10 pm

No latakia? Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews)   Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews) EmptyFri May 24, 2019 4:28 pm

Valdus wrote:
I don't get this with smoking straight perique but with Black XX I would get a DWI.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews)   Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews) EmptyThu May 30, 2019 8:35 pm

So I have tried a bowl of Belmont and Grand Point.  Both are quite interesting.

My take in reference the above seller descriptions:
Belmont has a definite salty pepper-spicy flavor with moments of creamy smoothness. Liked this one alot.
Grand Point was very spicy.  Very mild, hardly noticeable fruity note, but it may come out more in a different pipe. Would make a good mixer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews)   Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews) EmptyThu May 30, 2019 10:52 pm

Aren't those preblended? I mean, they also have Virginia's and Burley, yes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

Fight'n Hampsters

PostSubject: Re: Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews)   Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews) EmptyFri May 31, 2019 11:09 am

Yes. Each blend has the same Virginia burley base. The only difference is the third component which is a perique from a different growing region.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Golden Triangle TAD!!! (w/ two mini reviews)
Page 1 of 1