HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Valdus

Valdus

Registration date : 2019-05-15

Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days? Empty
PostSubject: Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days?   Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days? EmptyThu May 23, 2019 5:29 pm

Inspired by the popular childhood toys thread, I wondered how many in the brotherhood were (are) into role-playing games. I noted that many members are in my age bracket, so I am sure the D&D sickness must have hit my generation pretty hard. In fact, my logo is the 1981 edition of D&D that I cherish and have to this day, waiting to teach my son.

Back in the 1980's, I hid from the pop-world in the pages of a Dungeons & Dragons book. I don't think I came out of that bunker until the very late 80's when I went to Rutgers. There games awaited me of a different sort.

Perhaps it is its medieval quality, with the help of the Lord of the Rings films no doubt, fantasy role playing games always had space for pipes. I once played with a dungeon master in a cavernous New Jersey basement, that smoked what I now think was an Oom Paul. Unfortunately back then I was not into pipes. Now I am into pipes but live in a town that plays its games on the streets rather than on a tabletop.

Anyone else?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
BriarBeagle

BriarBeagle

Registration date : 2016-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days?   Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days? EmptyThu May 23, 2019 6:20 pm

Used to play D&D for days on end, fueled by Pepsi and potato chips. Originally got introduced in the very early 80's as my eldest brother (a terrific DM) and his friends would gather for campaigns. Eventually I was invited to participate and thus began a love affair for many years thereafter.

I'm with you brother. cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days?   Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days? EmptyThu May 23, 2019 9:02 pm

Nope.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days?   Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days? EmptyThu May 23, 2019 9:03 pm

Nor here either.

Cheers,

RR

Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days? Purple11x 2Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days? Bombx10  Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days? Bombx6Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days? D6bddf10 Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days? 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
Zanaspus

Zanaspus

Registration date : 2009-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days?   Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days? EmptyThu May 23, 2019 11:33 pm

I played everything from the original four leaflet set, through the blue book basic rules and into the hard cover AD&D!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days?   Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days? EmptyThu May 23, 2019 11:35 pm

I had a friend who tried to get me into it, i tried but just couldn't seem to grasp the excitement of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days?   Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days? EmptyFri May 24, 2019 8:48 am

Yeah played it a lot AD&D in the teen years. Winter in CT sucks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carlos
Admin
Carlos

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days?   Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days? EmptyFri May 24, 2019 10:02 am

Zork 1 : The Great Underground Empire

West of House
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

>_

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

PostSubject: Re: Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days?   Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days? EmptyFri May 24, 2019 10:07 am

Carlos wrote:
Zork 1 : The Great Underground Empire

West of House
You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

>_

Did all 3 Zorks.

-xyzzy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zanaspus

Zanaspus

Registration date : 2009-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days?   Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days? EmptyFri May 24, 2019 12:40 pm

Wasn't xyzzy Apple Adventure iirc?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

PostSubject: Re: Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days?   Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days? EmptyFri May 24, 2019 2:41 pm

Zanaspus wrote:
Wasn't xyzzy Apple Adventure iirc?

Colossal Cave Adventure actually however when you type the magic word in Zork, "A hollow voice says 'fool'"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days?   Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days? EmptyFri May 24, 2019 2:59 pm

Never played those types of games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Valdus

Valdus

PostSubject: Zork   Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days? EmptyFri May 24, 2019 3:23 pm

Ye gods, I loved Zork, still have it on my old iPad.

If you have time to waste...

Zork Online
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days?   Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days? EmptyFri May 24, 2019 3:44 pm

Yes!

We had all the hard cover books, everything from the DM guide to the Players Handbook and Monster Manuals.

I remember buying and playing a variety modules Borderlands, Lost City, Crystal Cave, In Search of the Unknown. Fun Times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Valdus

Valdus

PostSubject: Keep on the Borderlands    Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days? EmptyFri May 24, 2019 3:49 pm

I adored Keep on the Borderlands. I once DMed online (play by post) and the keep became host to many an adventure. It was difficult to keep track of that Keep!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Carlos
Admin
Carlos

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days?   Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days? EmptyFri May 24, 2019 8:28 pm

I did a lot of the Infocom stuff. Text adventures. All the Zork's, Starcross, others. Then some arcade-like stuff on the C-64. Paradroid comes to mind. Then into the early 486 computers. Did that whole Doom thing. Heretic, Hexen, Quake. The variants, II, III. Fallout and most of that chain. Half-Life and that series. Unreal. I prefer FPS. So the multi-crap holds no interest for me. Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fazby

Fazby

Registration date : 2010-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days?   Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days? EmptySat May 25, 2019 1:32 pm

Yep. Played original D&D (your logo) and AD&D first and second editions. The third edition messed with things (with some improvements...), but I had finally had my fill. That was about fifteen years ago, so I was hooked for quite a while.

Did a number of GenCons as well. Both when it was at the U of W in Kenosha (each event had a classroom !) and when it outgrew the U and went to Milwaukee.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days?   Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days? EmptySun May 26, 2019 7:46 pm

yup. I DM'd ADnD games in the early ninties. Even wrote a few campaigns that we used.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Did you have Dungeons & Dragon Days?
Page 1 of 1