HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

What is your quintessential summer blend?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fight'n Hampsters

Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

What is your quintessential summer blend? Empty
PostSubject: What is your quintessential summer blend?   What is your quintessential summer blend? EmptyFri Jul 05, 2019 5:06 pm

Tastes are different...all subjective...YMMV  of course. That being said, what blend do you think of and love to smoke in Summer.

Mine is Haddo's Delight hands down. I smoke it year round but particularly love it in the hot summer months.

Yours?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What is your quintessential summer blend?   What is your quintessential summer blend? EmptyFri Jul 05, 2019 7:36 pm

Haddo's is way great, including and especially with age. However I don't think of it as a summer blend.

Disclaimer - Now that I've retired to sunny Southern Arid-Zona and strictly smoke outside (unlike before), the ambient temps during the hotter months are not conducive to enjoying a pipe. Therefore my piping goes down to virtually nil during this time, as nothing tastes of much.

That said, if it's not too hot out in the early morning I will sip a bowl of OGS. Might well be the one and only bowl of the day for a while.

Cheers,

RR

What is your quintessential summer blend? Purple11x 2What is your quintessential summer blend? Bombx10  What is your quintessential summer blend? Bombx6What is your quintessential summer blend? D6bddf10 What is your quintessential summer blend? 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

PostSubject: Re: What is your quintessential summer blend?   What is your quintessential summer blend? EmptyFri Jul 05, 2019 9:19 pm

I'm glad this has been brought up. I've been trying to figure out which tobacco is more kind to the hot summer months and which pipes would be best. I think the corncob and also the Turkish meerschaum pipes smoke cooler and sweeter. I'm not sure which tobacco, but I've been smoking a lot of Butternut Burley lately. Also smoking some Virginias and fruity stuff like Peaches and Cream. I'd like to hear more suggestions to try.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: What is your quintessential summer blend?   What is your quintessential summer blend? EmptyFri Jul 05, 2019 11:39 pm

Well lately my home made puck has been the go to and have been enjoying Dan's Blue Note recently acquired here. Straight Va's seem to more in rotation as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: What is your quintessential summer blend?   What is your quintessential summer blend? EmptyFri Jul 05, 2019 11:41 pm

For the longest time for me it was SWR. However the past few years I find myself smoking latikia blends in the summer in an attempt to keep the mosquitoes at Bay. Also smoke a fair number of Vaper blends during the summer.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: What is your quintessential summer blend?   What is your quintessential summer blend? EmptySat Jul 06, 2019 11:09 am

LBF, LTF by Stokkeby
All Things Being Equal
Lonesome Llama
Newminster Navy flake
McClelland 5115

Ginnies baby, Ginnies!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What is your quintessential summer blend?   What is your quintessential summer blend? EmptySat Jul 06, 2019 3:36 pm

Great question for which I have no answer!! I smoke/rotate blends the same all year round. Burley/Ginny Weed in the mornings. Ginny Weed/light Lat Weeds & Orientals in the afternoon/s, and Orientals/heavier Latweeds in the evenings. I'll throw in a light aromatic (BCF and/or TMCF) whenever the mood hits me!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: What is your quintessential summer blend?   What is your quintessential summer blend? EmptySat Jul 06, 2019 4:56 pm

Like many refined and discerning smokers, when the heat rolls in I think of the classic Burley blends.  I could easily list a dozen or so from all the major houses but there’s one that stands above the rest.  It’s universally loved, it’s the highest quality, it’s tasty and trustworthy, it’s STORM FRONT. Yup, another John Patton Blend available only via 4 Noggins.  It’s ALWAYS good to the last drop.

What is your quintessential summer blend? D6bddf10What is your quintessential summer blend? 29400910What is your quintessential summer blend? 114e6110What is your quintessential summer blend? Ddb39b10What is your quintessential summer blend? Cf77ce10What is your quintessential summer blend? Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: What is your quintessential summer blend?   What is your quintessential summer blend? EmptySat Jul 06, 2019 7:13 pm

Like Brewdude, the hot sticky summer weather puts a real damper on my enjoyment of a pipe, but when I do get to sit out with a bowl, lately its been Vintage Syrian or a Burley blend. VS is a rather gentle blend compared to some of the Cyprian Latakia tobaccos. Glad I have a stash tucked away!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: What is your quintessential summer blend?   What is your quintessential summer blend? EmptySat Jul 06, 2019 7:15 pm

ontariopiper wrote:
Like Brewdude, the hot sticky summer weather puts a real damper on my enjoyment of a pipe, but when I do get to sit out with a bowl, lately its been Vintage Syrian or a Burley blend. VS is a rather gentle blend compared to some of the Cyprian Latakia tobaccos. Glad I have a stash tucked away!

I do enjoy Vintage Syrian on hot evenings. Thanks for reminding me!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fight'n Hampsters

Fight'n Hampsters

Registration date : 2011-07-28

PostSubject: Re: What is your quintessential summer blend?   What is your quintessential summer blend? EmptySun Jul 07, 2019 9:50 am

Blackhorse wrote:
Like many refined and discerning smokers, when the heat rolls in I think of the classic Burley blends.  I could easily list a dozen or so from all the major houses but there’s one that stands above the rest.  It’s universally loved, it’s the highest quality, it’s tasty and trustworthy, it’s STORM FRONT. Yup, another John Patton Blend available only via 4 Noggins.  It’s ALWAYS good to the last drop.

Storm Front is up there for me for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

PostSubject: Re: What is your quintessential summer blend?   What is your quintessential summer blend? EmptySun Jul 07, 2019 12:12 pm

Another John Patton blend that is very good is Moe's Confetti. A burley blend without the cigar leaf. I smoked some last night while watching more fireworks across the lake.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zanaspus

Zanaspus

Registration date : 2009-12-27

PostSubject: Re: What is your quintessential summer blend?   What is your quintessential summer blend? EmptySun Jul 07, 2019 9:04 pm

Anything without Latakia
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: What is your quintessential summer blend?   What is your quintessential summer blend? EmptySun Jul 07, 2019 9:34 pm

Zanaspus wrote:
Anything without Latakia

Amen.

What is your quintessential summer blend? D6bddf10What is your quintessential summer blend? 29400910What is your quintessential summer blend? 114e6110What is your quintessential summer blend? Ddb39b10What is your quintessential summer blend? Cf77ce10What is your quintessential summer blend? Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What is your quintessential summer blend?   What is your quintessential summer blend? EmptyFri Jul 12, 2019 10:58 am

I am in Rande's boat. I exclusively smoke outside & live in a hot, arid summer climate. Needless to say, my pipes get a nice rest during the summer months (July, August and September).

However, some nights we'll get a nice breeze off the Sacramento Delta and if the outdoor temp is right and the mood suits me I'll reach for either a rich Virginia mixture like Blackwoods Flake, FVF, Dark Twist Roll Cake & Matured VA No. 24 or a dark sweet spicy vaper like St. James Flake, Fillmore, Old Dominion or Dunbar. If I am in a burely mood, ODF, any Peretti burley, WC Slices, or maybe even C&D Crooner which I have a love/hate relationship with.

Again, night smoking, preferably mid 70's to low 80's outside temp.

Currently I am test driving the new GL Pease shag cut mixture. It's got definite summer night smoking potential. However at this point I doubt it will supplant Fillmore which for me is one of the most over indulgent Vapers available to man kind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: What is your quintessential summer blend?   What is your quintessential summer blend? EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 9:27 pm

Most of my summer smoking is done either tossing a fly or after shooting a round or two of trap; lately it's SWR or Edward G. Robinson's, although I just ordered a tub of CH so we'll see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

PostSubject: Re: What is your quintessential summer blend?   What is your quintessential summer blend? EmptySat Aug 03, 2019 10:19 pm

Idlefellow wrote:
Most of my summer smoking is done either tossing a fly or after shooting a round or two of trap; lately it's SWR or Edward G. Robinson's, although I just ordered a tub of CH so we'll see.

You wouldn't by any chance trap shoot at Ravenwood, do you?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Idlefellow

Idlefellow

Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: What is your quintessential summer blend?   What is your quintessential summer blend? EmptySun Aug 04, 2019 12:46 pm

Corncobcon wrote:
Idlefellow wrote:

You wouldn't by any chance trap shoot at Ravenwood, do you?

Nope.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sonarman

sonarman

Registration date : 2012-08-21

PostSubject: Re: What is your quintessential summer blend?   What is your quintessential summer blend? EmptyMon Aug 05, 2019 4:28 pm

Erinmore Flake if I had to pick one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SourMilk

SourMilk

Registration date : 2018-03-01

PostSubject: Re: What is your quintessential summer blend?   What is your quintessential summer blend? EmptyTue Aug 06, 2019 5:01 pm

Va flakes or burley heavy blends mostly this summer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SteveMKentucky

SteveMKentucky

Registration date : 2018-03-23

PostSubject: Summer blends   What is your quintessential summer blend? EmptyWed Aug 07, 2019 5:05 pm

As the OP stated, we all have different tastes.  I've read posts on boards for years that a lot of people don't smoke Latakia blends during the heat of the summer.  Quite frankly, I've never understood it.

As I type I'm smoking a bowl of Squadron Leader on my front porch.  I know my tastes are a bit unusual, but I love the stuff.  To me Latakia blends have an almost 'menthol' taste that is to me somewhat cool.  My taste for Latakia doesn't wane. Luckily I cellared a couple of pounds of SL ten years or so ago and have a good bit of my stash left.

That being said, my favorite summer blend was "Blackwood Flake."  Regrettably, I haven't had any in five years or more.  It's one of the departed blends that I miss.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old
Old Nate

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: What is your quintessential summer blend?   What is your quintessential summer blend? EmptySun Aug 18, 2019 1:24 am

This is a great thread!

For me, gotta be SG St James flake! I also have been going at my Solani Silver flake as well and MacBaren ODF when looking for a rich campfire type of smoke. Don’t do too much Latakia in the summer but I do smoke Virgina blends often in the winter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swhipple

swhipple

Registration date : 2013-05-02

PostSubject: Re: What is your quintessential summer blend?   What is your quintessential summer blend? EmptySun Aug 18, 2019 9:34 am

I don't think I chose tobacco based on the season. I'm mostly a Virginia and VaPer smoker and I stick with those year round. The only thing I will say about summer is that I'm more likely to smoke a cigar in the heat. The humid air we typically have in North Carolina makes a cigar smoke perfectly to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
friar_jay

friar_jay

Registration date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: What is your quintessential summer blend?   What is your quintessential summer blend? EmptySun Aug 18, 2019 2:35 pm

My summer smoke is without a doubt Sutliff's Taste of Summer, followed closely by BriarWorks Country Lawyer and Kramer's Father Dempsey.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/13483
rgcurrey

rgcurrey

Registration date : 2019-04-04

PostSubject: Re: What is your quintessential summer blend?   What is your quintessential summer blend? EmptyMon Sep 09, 2019 5:25 pm

I tend to reach for BBF or BB#2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

What is your quintessential summer blend?
Page 1 of 1