safety razors

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

safety razors Empty
PostSubject: safety razors   safety razors EmptyMon Jul 29, 2019 5:04 pm

I see a new Canadian company is offering stainless steel razors at quite a nice price. $99CAD, which is $75-80USD today. I'm hearing some positive feedback. I believe they offer in both stainless and brass, but the brass might have been just in the development stages. The handle only comes in one design, but it comes in a few lengths. Several base plates, from mild to aggressive. Open comb and safety bar option as well. The website is a little messy if you want to know everything about the razor, with all the available options, and company. It's pricier than the great Rockwell, but it also is made of from billet and not metal injection molding. I own a Rockwell 6S, and it is far and away my favorite razor. It not coming from billet has proven to be a non-issue.

https://karveshaving.com/

https://getrockwell.com/products/rockwell-6s
Back to top Go down
peanubutter

peanubutter

Registration date : 2019-01-20

safety razors Empty
PostSubject: Re: safety razors   safety razors EmptyMon Jul 29, 2019 6:56 pm

I have fallen off the shaving wagon, again. Going on a 7 week binge and might keep it until next summer. The items are enticing though and the collector (dark) force in me is strong.
Back to top Go down
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

safety razors Empty
PostSubject: Re: safety razors   safety razors EmptyMon Jul 29, 2019 8:43 pm

Many years ago a found I nice condition old Gillette from around the 20s or 30s, paid a whopping 5 bucks for it have since then given away all my other safety razors because it is the best shaver I have ever used.
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

safety razors Empty
PostSubject: Re: safety razors   safety razors EmptyTue Jul 30, 2019 1:11 pm

D.L.Ruth wrote:
Many years ago a found I nice condition old Gillette from around the 20s or 30s, paid a whopping 5 bucks for it have since then given away all my other safety razors because it is the best shaver I have ever used.
I'm guessing that is a Gillette New. Funny that we have to refer to something maybe 100 years old as New, but that is what they called them. A few years ago I was given a Gillette New LC, which is for Long Comb with a barbell handle. They came with a couple different handle styles and heads. The handles weren't made particularly well, so you see a lot of them with the barrel split. Mine was split, which is why it was free, but I fixed it with J-B Weld. I like the shave I get with it. It's a bit more aggressive (more blade feel) than I prefer, but in the winter, when my skin is a little dryer and tighter, I do get in the mood for how it feels and shaves. I'm glad I have it. One thing I admire about it is the way there is zero blade play. For being mass manufactured in the 20s, the head is quite precise. A smart design that locks the blade into its spot before you even screw the razor back together. Better than some of the $100+ razors I've seen.
Back to top Go down
Preacher

Preacher

Registration date : 2011-06-23

safety razors Empty
PostSubject: Re: safety razors   safety razors EmptySun Aug 11, 2019 7:02 pm

Actually, the brass Karve razors were the first ones available. By all accounts, a superb razor. The stainless steel razors are a new offering. I'm still thinking about getting one of the brass ones. I have a few of the modern DE's and they are super shavers. Combines with the right soap, and your shaves will be BBS with no irritation.
Back to top Go down
SteveMKentucky

SteveMKentucky

Registration date : 2018-03-23

safety razors Empty
PostSubject: Razors   safety razors EmptyMon Aug 12, 2019 10:30 pm

I regularly shave with a Merkur and a Muehle.  The Merkur is open comb, the Muehle is not.  I typically use either German made Wilkinson blades or Japanese Feather blades.  Ironically, I nick myself more with the closed comb Muehle than I do with the open comb Merkur.

I went through a period during which I shaved exclusively with straight razors but grew weary of the process.

My holy grail of razors is the Feather.  However, the price has just prevented me from ordering one.

safety razors 2rney6p
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

safety razors Empty
PostSubject: Re: safety razors   safety razors EmptyTue Aug 13, 2019 12:40 pm

SteveMKentucky wrote:
I regularly shave with a Merkur and a Muehle.  The Merkur is open comb, the Muehle is not.  I typically use either German made Wilkinson blades or Japanese Feather blades.  Ironically, I nick myself more with the closed comb Muehle than I do with the open comb Merkur.

I went through a period during which I shaved exclusively with straight razors but grew weary of the process.

My holy grail of razors is the Feather.  However, the price has just prevented me from ordering one.
As I read your post, I didn't expect to see that. The Feather is known to be such a mild razor, much more mild than the ones you're using. I see lots of them for sale on the Reddit forum because they're too mild, in fact. Not that long ago, they were at a great price point in the grand scheme of things. Now there is a decent selection of all stainless steel in the sub $125 range.
Back to top Go down
SteveMKentucky

SteveMKentucky

safety razors Empty
PostSubject: Re: safety razors   safety razors EmptyTue Aug 13, 2019 7:58 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
SteveMKentucky wrote:

As I read your post, I didn't expect to see that.  The Feather is known to be such a mild razor, much more mild than the ones you're using.  I see lots of them for sale on the Reddit forum because they're too mild, in fact.  Not that long ago, they were at a great price point in the grand scheme of things.  Now there is a decent selection of all stainless steel in the sub $125 range.

Thanks for the comment Zeno. I didn't know it was considered a "mild" razor. That being said I thought the Feather had a blade angle different from most razors that made it a really close shaver while feeling 'mild.'

At this point perhaps I would be happiest with a Muehle R41 open comb. My only complaint with the Merkur is that the handle is far too short. The Muehle has a much better balance with the longer handle.
Back to top Go down
RetLEO-07

Registration date : 2019-09-26

safety razors Empty
PostSubject: Re: safety razors   safety razors EmptyThu Oct 10, 2019 9:18 am

Glad to see wet shavers on this site. Here’s my SOTD. Razor is a Gillette NEW Open Comb loaded with a Gillette Silver Blue blade. Have a great shave have a great day!
Back to top Go down
RetLEO-07

safety razors Empty
PostSubject: Re: safety razors   safety razors EmptyThu Oct 10, 2019 9:22 am

Picture didn’t come across. Here it is(I hope)safety razors 7c5ea210safety razors 7c5ea210
Back to top Go down
RetLEO-07

safety razors Empty
PostSubject: Re: safety razors   safety razors EmptyThu Oct 10, 2019 9:24 am

Sorry for the double pic. Using my phone and to be brutally honest the site sucks from a phone
Back to top Go down
Bub

Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

safety razors Empty
PostSubject: Re: safety razors   safety razors EmptyThu Oct 10, 2019 7:54 pm

They have a new web site
https://karveshaving.com/
Back to top Go down
SteveMKentucky

SteveMKentucky

safety razors Empty
PostSubject: Mühle   safety razors EmptySat Oct 12, 2019 9:14 pm

So I did order a Mühle R41 open comb and do indeed think it the ideal razor for me. It seems to have a bit different blade angle making it seem a bit less aggressive but still clearly an open comb. The greatest improvement is the longer handle and the beautiful balance. It is simply a gorgeous razor.
Back to top Go down

safety razors
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Haberdashery-
Jump to: