HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Share
 

 Couple of new items to try

Go down 
AuthorMessage
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Age : 49
Location : Laramie, WY
Registration date : 2011-12-10

Couple of new items to try Empty
PostSubject: Couple of new items to try   Couple of new items to try EmptyFri Aug 30, 2019 9:58 pm

Picked up a tin of McConnell's Scottish Cake and a tin of Holger Danske Original Orange. Don't smoke aromatics often anymore but I'm always looking for a less offensive tobacco to smoke around others.

Jim
Back to top Go down
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Age : 70
Location : From the prarie of KS. to Lake of the Ozarks, MO.
Registration date : 2017-10-15

Couple of new items to try Empty
PostSubject: they   Couple of new items to try EmptyFri Aug 30, 2019 10:45 pm

Good for you. Those are two I've never tried.

Speaking of not trying to be too offensive around others...

How come "others" always complain about cigars and pipes, but it doesn't seem to bother them when they are around cigarette smokers? It ticks me off. When we have neighborhood gatherings, I leave my pipe at home because of complaints from others, but there are always the five or so cigarette smokers there, and nobody complains.
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Age : 55
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

Couple of new items to try Empty
PostSubject: Re: Couple of new items to try   Couple of new items to try EmptySat Aug 31, 2019 1:53 am

Corncobcon wrote:
Good for you.  Those are two I've never tried.

Speaking of not trying to be too offensive around others...  

How come "others" always complain about cigars and pipes, but it doesn't seem to bother them when they are around cigarette smokers?  It ticks me off.  When we have neighborhood gatherings, I leave my pipe at home because of complaints from others, but there are always the five or so cigarette smokers there, and nobody complains.

Who knows? I see the same thing.
Back to top Go down
DrT999

DrT999

Age : 61
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Couple of new items to try Empty
PostSubject: Re: Couple of new items to try   Couple of new items to try EmptySat Aug 31, 2019 6:21 am

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Corncobcon wrote:
Good for you.  Those are two I've never tried.

Speaking of not trying to be too offensive around others...  

How come "others" always complain about cigars and pipes, but it doesn't seem to bother them when they are around cigarette smokers?  It ticks me off.  When we have neighborhood gatherings, I leave my pipe at home because of complaints from others, but there are always the five or so cigarette smokers there, and nobody complains.

Who knows? I see the same thing.

My guess, cigarettes may smell worse than most pipe tobaccos and cigars (although that's subjective), but they do all smell stronger. That could be a factor
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
GeoffC

GeoffC

Age : 52
Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-10-23

Couple of new items to try Empty
PostSubject: Re: Couple of new items to try   Couple of new items to try EmptySat Aug 31, 2019 8:13 am

Folks smokes cigarettes and I don't know what chemicals they do them but they don't smell like tobacco anymore.

Switching off cigars to pipe I noticed my car does not smell like an ashtray anymore. Playing poker with cigar smokers and lit up MacBaren Navy Flake and one dude that ribbed me for smoking a pipe said, "Man that smells so good!"

Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Age : 49
Location : Laramie, WY
Registration date : 2011-12-10

Couple of new items to try Empty
PostSubject: Re: Couple of new items to try   Couple of new items to try EmptySat Aug 31, 2019 12:07 pm

Conrad my guess is that its just conditioning. Most people ignore cig smokers when there are much more visible pipe or cigar smokers. Similar to people and diesel trucks the smoke is more visible therefore it must be worse. Even though the diesel actually puts out fewer emissions its much more visible and people really rip on that.

The HD Original Orange is actually a rather nice mostly VA blend. The black cavindish is at most 20-25% of the blend. I was expecting it to be much worse but its very inoffensive not sticky or goopy either. The flavor is mostly just tobacco with a hint of orange rind. I can absolutely see me ordering this again.

Jim
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Moderator
Blackhorse

Age : 71
Location : Portland, Oregon Area
Registration date : 2010-10-23

Couple of new items to try Empty
PostSubject: Re: Couple of new items to try   Couple of new items to try EmptySat Aug 31, 2019 1:04 pm

Who knows what it is...but I don’t know ANY cigarette smokers anymore. Maybe at $7 a pack the morons who smoked them got priced out of the market. lol. Of course, the guys that roll their own are a whole different breed...on a higher plane. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

_________________
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator.
Founding BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Un-Ret
Couple of new items to try Puffy

Couple of new items to try D6bddf10Couple of new items to try 29400910Couple of new items to try 114e6110Couple of new items to try Ddb39b10Couple of new items to try Cf77ce10Couple of new items to try Dd692012Couple of new items to try Cowboy11
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

Couple of new items to try Empty
PostSubject: Re: Couple of new items to try   Couple of new items to try EmptySat Aug 31, 2019 2:53 pm

I like cigars. I smoke them on rare occasion. I think they're absurdly priced. It's not that I don't enjoy them. If I'm not smoking one, I cannot stand the smell. It's awful. It's been a long, long while since I was around a pipe and wasn't smoking one as well, so I don't know how that goes. Cigarette smoke generally is here and gone. It's quick to dissipate. They probably chemically designed them that way. Pipe and cigar...especially cigar...smoke lingers. And a cigar being smoked for tens and tens of minutes. The wind can be blowing at 30MPH, yet it seems to stick in the area. That certainly doesn't help with negative reactions in social situations. I don't get the impression people mind a whiff of something, but they don't appreciate being stuck within a smell.

But hey, I don't get along well with perfumes and colognes. I don't care for how 99.9999% of them smell. When I'm around people who wear them, I find them socially offensive. I'll say that for anything with cooked cabbage, too. I got sidetracked.
Back to top Go down
MAW

MAW

Age : 56
Location : Caracas, Venezuela
Registration date : 2019-07-22

Couple of new items to try Empty
PostSubject: Re: Couple of new items to try   Couple of new items to try EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 1:12 am

Zeno Marx wrote:

But hey, I don't get along well with perfumes and colognes.  I don't care for how 99.9999% of them smell.  When I'm around people who wear them, I find them socially offensive.
Finally, I thougth I was the only one who found heavily perfumed people socially offensive, specially in any food related situation.
Jim is very kind of you to consider the others around you, in my mid fifty's I am not in the mood of pleasing anyone but me, centanly not to offend them neither, my appoach is take the others out of the equation so I became an "In house smoker" avoiding any possible discusion specially when there are cigarette smokers involved
Back to top Go down
mgtarheel

mgtarheel

Age : 68
Location : The Tarheel State
Registration date : 2011-09-13

Couple of new items to try Empty
PostSubject: Couple of new items to try   Couple of new items to try EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 3:44 pm

If you like the orange try Rattray's Exotic Orange.  I think they might have changed the name to Exotic Passion.
Back to top Go down
JimInks

JimInks

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

Couple of new items to try Empty
PostSubject: Re: Couple of new items to try   Couple of new items to try EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 4:41 pm

Many years back in my college years, I was in the library doing some research and smoking my pipe. At one point, this guy came over to me and asked me to put out my pipe. I looked at his hand and saw a burning cigarette between his fingers. I laughed and told him "I'll make you a deal. I'll put out the pipe if you put out that cigarette." The guy said, "Naw man, I can't do that." I told him neither can I. He said my pipe smelled and I told his cigarette smelled, and so did he. He walked away like the D- student he probably was.
Back to top Go down
GeoffC

GeoffC

Age : 52
Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-10-23

Couple of new items to try Empty
PostSubject: Re: Couple of new items to try   Couple of new items to try EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 5:16 pm

JimInks wrote:
Many years back in my college years, I was in the library doing some research and smoking my pipe. At one point, this guy came over to me and asked me to put out my pipe. I looked at his hand and saw a burning cigarette between his fingers. I laughed and told him "I'll make you a deal. I'll put out the pipe if you put out that cigarette." The guy said, "Naw man, I can't do that." I told him neither can I. He said my pipe smelled and I told his cigarette smelled, and so did he. He walked away like the D- student he probably was.

Solid!
Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Age : 49
Location : Laramie, WY
Registration date : 2011-12-10

Couple of new items to try Empty
PostSubject: Re: Couple of new items to try   Couple of new items to try EmptyTue Oct 22, 2019 5:56 pm

MAW, its not really anything but a way to avoid confrontation if possible. Those that know me know I'm a pipe smoker and I make no apologies for that. Besides it gives me a break from some of the heavy blends that I tend to gravitate towards.

MgT, I've heard good things about the Ratray's Exotic Orange or whatever they're calling it now. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a shot to grab a tin when it available. Thanks.

Jim
Back to top Go down
 
Couple of new items to try
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: PAD & TAD-
Jump to: