What are your dinosaurs?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are your dinosaurs?   What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 04, 2019 9:30 pm

arkansaspiper wrote:
Corncobcon wrote:
I miss a lot of what was said before me.  Most of all, I miss my good health.
good health are you doin ok??

Yeah, I'm ok. Thanks for asking. It's just the aches and pains, arthritis, blood pressure problems, etc. My mind thinks I'm still in my 30's, but the body won't respond the way it used to.
Back to top Go down
ftrplt

ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: What are your dinosaurs?   What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 05, 2019 11:48 am

Yeah, I'm ok.  Thanks for asking.  It's just the aches and pains, arthritis, blood pressure problems, etc.  My mind thinks I'm still in my 30's, but the body won't respond the way it used to. [/quote]

Welcome to your "Senior" years Smile As Betty Davis said on Johnny Carson one night many years ago..."Old age is no place for a sissy!" cheers FTRPLT (age 73!!)
Back to top Go down
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: What are your dinosaurs?   What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 05, 2019 12:50 pm

ftrplt wrote:

Quote :
Yeah, I'm ok.  Thanks for asking.  It's just the aches and pains, arthritis, blood pressure problems, etc.  My mind thinks I'm still in my 30's, but the body won't respond the way it used to.

Welcome to your "Senior" years Smile As Betty Davis said on Johnny Carson one night many years ago..."Old age is no place for a sissy!" cheers FTRPLT (age 73!!)

'Everyone hopes to reach old age, but when it comes, most of us complain about it.' -- Cicero

(I know I'm starting to!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Valdus

Valdus

Registration date : 2019-05-15

PostSubject: Re: What are your dinosaurs?   What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 05, 2019 1:49 pm

The only thing I miss about youth is the ability to eat without consequences.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: What are your dinosaurs?   What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 05, 2019 7:15 pm

Not that I miss ‘em so much, but they’re a part of being a kid...

I remember riding on trolly cars and street cars around Portland and Oregon City.  I remember visuals...sun through window glass, dust motes, tattered leather seats.  And I remember smells...grease, electrical stuff, people crowded together, dust.  Funny how those things hang in there.

What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 C3a1d710

What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 D6bddf10What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 29400910What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 114e6110What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 Ddb39b10What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 Cf77ce10What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 Dd692012What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 Cowboy11
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What are your dinosaurs?   What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 7:08 pm

Bikes, as in bicycles.

Got my first one around 4 years old. A trike naturally which I rode around our basement. I don't remember this, but the folks said they had to push on my legs one at a time to get me to realize you had to "pump" as they called it. Guess I was just un-cordinated.

A year or so later I graduated to a 2-wheeler with training wheels. The first ride without them was plenty scary but I did OK - except when I stopped and had to get back on and set off on my own. That was shaky but I didn't fall over. Recall finding a curb to get back on.

Age 10 or so I inherited the Huffy fat tire cruiser from my cousin. It was a large bike, very heavy, one speed. OK on level surfaces but killer on uphill grades. Including and especially for a 10-yr old. I struggled with it.

Few yrs later the folks bought me a shiny new Schwinn 3-speed. Now we're talkin! Relatively light and the 3 speeds were all I needed. Rode that all the way until I was old enough to get my driver's license. Maintained it myself too, but frankly it didn't really need much maintenance.

Somewhere along the way 12-speeds became the new thing. Never could understand why anyone would want 12-speeds when 3 did just fine. Plus I hated the seating position and handlebars on the 12-speeds I tried.

I retained the Schwinn for a while after HS and rode it occasionally around the area I was now living. But a car was better, faster, and easier. Must have sold it but don't remember.

Years after that my Pap got a 12-speed with his new car purchase. He gave the 12-speed to me and I tried to like it, but again the seat and the handlebar position proved much to uncomfortable. That didn't last too long.

Now that I'm retired I've thought about getting in a 3-wheel recumbent bike. The one that I tried out was a nice one. It had a comfortable seat with back support, one wheel in front and 2 in back. Lightweight and maneuverable. Problem was the price, which after the necessary add-on's brought it up to around $1500. And while that amount may not be a deal breaker to some, now that I'm on a fixed income I need to look at that kind of expenditure carefully and weigh out how much I would actually use it. Right now it's been put on the back burner.

Cheers,

RR

What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 Purple11x 2What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 Bombx10  What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 Bombx9 What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 D6bddf10 What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 Cowboy13

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: What are your dinosaurs?   What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 7:32 am

Cheers,

RR

What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 Purple11x 2What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 Bombx10  What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 Bombx9 What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 D6bddf10 What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 Cowboy13

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: What are your dinosaurs?   What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 8:50 am

Ahhh the previous version of the loyalty card
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: What are your dinosaurs?   What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 12:55 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Bikes, as in bicycles.
Love me bicycles. I grew up in a farm town, on the very edge of the city proper. We would ride our bikes into downtown several times a day. Buy penny candies and baseball cards and trade them on the front stoop of the store. Bicycles were key to our existence. And then we had an old crabby eccentric codger who fixed bikes out of his garage. When I got older, I learned he wasn't really all that eccentric, but he was a Europhile. He and his wife were always riding bikes or riding their tandem, which was part of his thing for Europe. In berets. You don't see berets in a farm town. I then got hooked on touring and racing because the Tour de France was televised. I'm still bit by the bicycle bug. I don't ride as much as I once did, but I used to ride country roads and used the bicycle as my main form of transportation. Still prefer it over a car, but the way we design our cities doesn't make it very convenient to actually live via bicycle. Also makes it downright dangerous in bigger cities.

Some people dream of owning certain cars. I have a short list of dream bicycles.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: What are your dinosaurs?   What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 2:34 pm

ZM - absolutely. Growing up in suburban/rural Oregon, from the time I could sit the seat our bike was the doorway to freedom. We were released by our foolish parents each morning onto an unsuspecting world. It built independence as well as judgement...and strong legs. There were very few fat kids back then. Wonder why. After I was in the military I went back to school at Portland State and lived downtown. On a fluke I bought a used Italian “racing” bike from a girl whose boyfriend had dumped her...with very high grade Campagnolo shifters and related hardware. Got it for a song. That thing flew around the downtown core like a Lamborghini for years...rock solid. Loved that bike.

Yup. Bikes are precious.

What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 D6bddf10What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 29400910What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 114e6110What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 Ddb39b10What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 Cf77ce10What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 Dd692012What are your dinosaurs? - Page 2 Cowboy11
Back to top Go down

What are your dinosaurs?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: