HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? Empty
PostSubject: fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites?   fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? EmptyWed Sep 04, 2019 5:08 pm

I was wondering what some favorite fruity blends are. Fruity, as in dates, raisins, currants, and maybe even hints of molasses. Fruity as we sometimes find with perique. My example would be Night Train, especially Night Train with some age. Over the winter, I finished some Night Train that had 5+ years of age on it, and it was divinely fruity and sweet. With certain pipes, it was nearly godly. It's not uncommon to run into such flavors with stoved Virginias and VaPers, but I find the fruitiness to be a minority component. This aged Night Train had fruit at the forefront. What other blends, aged or not (preferably not, because I'd like to find that right now, strike you in this manner?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites?   fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? EmptyWed Sep 04, 2019 8:04 pm

I always found Dark Star with age was nice and plumy. McCrainies Red Ribbon '83 was like a bowl of sugar. Capstan Blue from 80's and 90's was dark fruit. Dunhill Light Flake was sweet but not as fruity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites?   fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? EmptyWed Sep 04, 2019 9:50 pm

Peterson's Irish Flake/Rattray's Wallace Flake is a nice dark flake with a light plum flavor
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
rgcurrey

rgcurrey

Registration date : 2019-04-04

PostSubject: Re: fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites?   fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? EmptyMon Sep 09, 2019 5:33 pm

I have some 3-5 year old tins of McConnell's Scottish Cake that I always get a nice plum like flavor from while smoking it.

I should order some more, however, I think I am going to try the Scottish Flake instead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old
Old Nate

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites?   fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? EmptyMon Sep 09, 2019 5:57 pm

To me, the new GLP Penny Farthing has some qualities that I think you’re describing. Also SG St. James Flake. When it’s right it’s very plummy and deep reminds me of dates or raisins.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BriarBuck

BriarBuck

Registration date : 2018-11-06

PostSubject: Re: fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites?   fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 9:32 am

I get a lot of currants and stewed fruit with Marlin Flake. Good fresh but better with age.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites?   fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 12:55 pm

Thanks, everyone. Keep them coming. This is my bag at this period of my pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites?   fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 3:35 pm

Many things with Perique might lend that raisin thing, if that qualifies.

Aside from that I’d say Royal Yacht.

And I’m assuming you’re calling all the UK scented blends, though they’re not...different process.

And if Pete’s forest blueberry thing is a legal call them I’d add Firedance to it.

fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? D6bddf10fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? 29400910fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? 114e6110fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? Ddb39b10fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? Cf77ce10fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites?   fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 3:43 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Many things with Perique might lend that raisin thing, if that qualifies.
Right on. Would like to avoid the zesty/peppery perique though.

Blackhorse wrote:
And I’m assuming you’re calling all the UK scented blends, though they’re not...different process.
Shoot 'em at me. I'm great with doing some research.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites?   fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 4:05 pm

Zeno...”Shoot 'em at me. I'm great with doing some research.”

OK...another WHOLE can of worms...but:

GH Broken Flake #7 is my favorite.
Glengarry Flake
Rich Dark Honeydew

Those will answer the question as to whether you want to try others.
PS: they are quite floral.

fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? D6bddf10fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? 29400910fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? 114e6110fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? Ddb39b10fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? Cf77ce10fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? Dd692012
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites?   fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 4:20 pm

Planta 2007. Blueberry on steroids.
Rattrays Exotic Orange and seasonal blends.
Peterson's Summer. Any year.

Non of them are goopers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
swhipple

swhipple

Registration date : 2013-05-02

PostSubject: Re: fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites?   fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 5:47 pm

I'm smoking through a tin of Cordell and Diehl's Blockade Runner and it has a fruity plummy tin note and flavor to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites?   fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 6:12 pm

Well...and of course there’s the ever popular Sam Gawith Grousemoor...for that fruity dead mouse essence.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
eggman
Cornholio
eggman

Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites?   fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 8:00 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Well...and of course there’s the ever popular Sam Gawith Grousemoor...for that fruity dead mouse essence.

Dead mouse in a can essence. It just doesn’t get better than dead varmit. lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites?   fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 8:33 pm

What I’d like to know is how those guys know what smoking dead mice smells like. Hmmm. Maybe I DON’T wanna know.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
eggman
Cornholio
eggman

Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites?   fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 9:38 pm

Blackhorse wrote:

I have no idea. I was just going by your recommendation. lol! lol!
I have always heard that about royal yacht. I’ve have one tin of that and I’m going to let it mellow a bit before I open it.

Last edited by eggman on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Pasted the wrong quote)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites?   fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? EmptyTue Sep 10, 2019 9:57 pm

To me, Royal Yacht is a light and very friendly item.  I once did a test with it to determine the price/value of pipe tobacco, generally. I remember I got 18 bowls per tin.  Sure it depends on the pipes, but I thought that if judged against cigars pipe tobacco was absolutely the best value.

Aside from that, check out the reviews.  Oddly enough mine still tops the pile.  Of course, Jim Inks is the one to heed.

No dead mice with this stuff.  It’s a delicious class act.  But so far as I know it’s unobtanium. I’d LOVE to lay my mitts on some.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites?   fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 1:32 am

Hey Zeno.

Take a look at SG’s Firedance Flake. It’s the fruitiest blend I’ve smoked. 👍
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old
Old Nate

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites?   fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 7:16 am

Firedance... never had this one but it sounding good
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites?   fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 8:47 am

Old Nate wrote:

Yeah...blackberry Brandy cream. It’s absolutely delicious but still with a good tobacco flavor base. Classic dessert blend. Or for breakfast...or whatever.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites?   fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites? EmptyWed Sep 11, 2019 12:48 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Old Nate wrote:

Yeah...blackberry Brandy cream.  It’s absolutely delicious but still with a good tobacco flavor base.  Classic dessert blend.  Or for breakfast...or whatever.

... smokes well as a fold and stuffer too.

🤔 mmmm, hang on a moment. I’ve got a 3 yr old tin cellared... oh the conflict😳
Back to top Go down
View user profile

fruity, non-aromatic blend favorites?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: