HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Pipe Stems

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Slow Puffs
Resident Sportscaster

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Pipe Stems   Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:27 pm

After admiring Winslow's new Peterson, I was struck my his comment...
Quote :
I've had many Petes in the past,those damn vulcanite stems are a pain in the ass
to keep looking nice though.

So true, IMHO. Same with the Brigham stems. But not so with my Dunhills... I like gripping the vulcanite with my teeth... but sometimes I am tempted to send them all off to get the acrylic or whatever they are as replacement stems.

I use the "Mr. Clean magic pads" followed by a virgin olive oil swipe. Recently, I've tried brebbia polish. I doubt if there is any easy solution...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Stems   Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:01 pm

I feel your pain! Seems like I'm forever using 600-800 grit steel wool, polishing paste, stem polish, etc. to keep my rubber/vulcanite stems close to presentable! I don't own a bunch of pipes with acrylic/lucite stems, but I sure do like'em!! FTRPLT

Last edited by ftrplt on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Stems   Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:29 pm

I feel your pain also, mine is slightly more complicated. I am allergic to Latex and it seems that I'm developing a sensitivity to vulcanite and similar rubber based pipe stems. The symptoms for me are painless white patches on the lips and a general numbing of the lips and tongue when using pipes with rubber based stems. I'm seeking for the short term hypoallergenic plastic surgical tubing to cut and fit as pipe condoms, long term will probably have my choicest vulcanite stemmed pipes fitted for lucite stems.

Be grateful all you have to worry about is a nice looking stem Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Stems   Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:42 am

Damn Kilty that doesn't sound good! Anything a dermatologist can do for you? Here's hoping you get that taken care of. Take care of yourself!! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Stems   Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:35 am

Like Ftrplt I lightly sand mine with very fine sandpaper and 0000 steel wool to remove the oxidation and then polish them with jewelers rouge or Savinelli polish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
kilted1
Great Scot!

Registration date : 2009-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Stems   Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:05 pm

ftrplt wrote:
Damn Kilty that doesn't sound good! Anything a dermatologist can do for you? Here's hoping you get that taken care of. Take care of yourself!! FTRPLT

I'm afraid the only thing I can do in the immediate is to stop smoking rubber stemmed pipes, treat the symptoms with Biotene (thankfully it clears in a couple of days) and smoke my lucite pipes. This cuts my rotation roughly in half.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Pipe Stems   Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:55 pm

I'm a fan of ebonite or acrylic stems. What little I may notice in comfort (which I don't really) is not worth the upkeep required.

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com

Pipe Stems
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1