HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Carving bead rings in bent bulldog/rhodesian

Go down 
AuthorMessage
kingcobradude

Registration date : 2011-12-22

Carving bead rings in bent bulldog/rhodesian  Empty
PostSubject: Carving bead rings in bent bulldog/rhodesian    Carving bead rings in bent bulldog/rhodesian  EmptyFri Sep 27, 2019 2:06 pm

I am wanting to start making my own pipes, and repairing a couple I already have, and one of the pipes I want to make is a bent bulldog/rhodesian. I just don't know how I would carve the bead lines. If I tried to use a lathe, the shank would just be snapped off by the shank. Any helpful advice?
Back to top Go down
peanubutter

peanubutter

Registration date : 2019-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Carving bead rings in bent bulldog/rhodesian    Carving bead rings in bent bulldog/rhodesian  EmptyFri Sep 27, 2019 10:18 pm

Have a look at a bow compass or regular compass with a pencil attached and secured at an angle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compass_(drawing_tool)
Back to top Go down
riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Carving bead rings in bent bulldog/rhodesian    Carving bead rings in bent bulldog/rhodesian  EmptyMon Sep 30, 2019 10:19 am

Definitely use a lathe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAxBnKaUjLE
Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Carving bead rings in bent bulldog/rhodesian    Carving bead rings in bent bulldog/rhodesian  EmptyMon Sep 30, 2019 2:23 pm

I'll make the suggestion of using a small Allen wrench to make the tool in the video from. Its already hardened and roughly the correct shape. Just sharpen it back to where it will fit the pipe you're working on and find a way to attach it to your equipment.

Jim
Back to top Go down

Carving bead rings in bent bulldog/rhodesian
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: