HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Manhattans

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
paddy-boy

paddy-boy

Registration date : 2009-01-28

Manhattans Empty
PostSubject: Manhattans   Manhattans EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 11:18 am

While I typically drink Whiskey straight (bourbon and Irish), I love a good Manhattan.
Any one else a fan?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oddball

Oddball

Registration date : 2008-03-11

Manhattans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manhattans   Manhattans EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 2:01 pm

here here, too bad half the bars I go to refuse to try to make one or have to pull out a book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thedeep

Registration date : 2008-09-10

Manhattans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manhattans   Manhattans EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 5:11 pm

Hey, at least the bars you go to have a book! I use to bartend, in a nice, small, upscale joint with lots of old folks, and Manhattans were regular orders. For a change use sweet vermouth instead of dry.
I feel the same way about a good Old-fashion. Most bars don't even know what kind of glass it goes in. I don't know how many times I've said, "ah...you might try the old fashion glass."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Benjamin Button

Benjamin Button

Registration date : 2008-10-09

Manhattans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manhattans   Manhattans EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 5:32 pm

thedeep wrote:
Hey, at least the bars you go to have a book! I use to bartend, in a nice, small, upscale joint with lots of old folks, and Manhattans were regular orders. For a change use sweet vermouth instead of dry.
I feel the same way about a good Old-fashion. Most bars don't even know what kind of glass it goes in. I don't know how many times I've said, "ah...you might try the old fashion glass."

I always thought you were supposed to use sweet vermouth?

I love a good manhattan and love when people ask for them at the restaurant I work at. A good rye whiskey, equal parts sweet & dry vermouth, a dash of bitters, a couple drops of cherry juice (VERY LITTLE), a quick shake or stir to mix the ingredients then let it sit and chill until the shaker gets frosty on the outside. Pour and drop a cherry in and it's ready to drink.

Mmmm...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
paddy-boy

paddy-boy

Manhattans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manhattans   Manhattans EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 5:37 pm

5 pt Rye whiskey(jim beam rye cause that is the only one the ABC store carries)
a dash of angostura bitters
2 pt sweet vermouth
garnish with a maraschino cherry.
Stir and strain in to a Cocktail glass.
That is how I make mine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thedeep

Registration date : 2008-09-10

Manhattans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manhattans   Manhattans EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 7:07 pm

Oops! I switched dry and sweet. Yeah, normally sweet, so try it dry. I had one old fellow that always ordered a Manhattan dry. So, I finally tried one, it is a nice change-up. The waitresses use to wonder why I catered to the old guy so much (oh, HAD to be Old Forester). I told them, "hey, he's the richest guy in town--I'm hoping he will adopt me."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Manhattans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manhattans   Manhattans EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 12:09 am

I'm not a bourbon "person" per se; however my friends say I make a mean Manhattan. Recipe is 4-to-5 parts bourbon (either Rebel Yell, WT, WT 101, for example), 2 parts sweet vermouth, dash cherry liquer or marachino cherry juice, dash of bitters, stir and strain. As I'm a Scotch man, I do enjoy a Rob Roy every now and then; substituting Scotch (Grants usually, a sweet single malt occasionally) in place of the bourbon. For a change of pace, I mix a Robert Burns....2 oz. Scotch, 3/4 oz. sweet vermouth, 1/4 oz. Drambuie, dash of marachino cherry juice (optional), dash bitters, stir and strain. Benedictine may be substituted for Drambuie. Makes a good evening drink. FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rick

rick

Registration date : 2008-09-25

Manhattans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manhattans   Manhattans EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 6:05 am

Love em.
Still looking to try the Rittenhouse 100 BIB ..............Ive heard great thangs.

Ive tried:
Old Overholt
WT 101 Rye
Evan Williams 1783
and Noilly Prat sweet vermouth seems to be the one I keep coming back to.

I am still gonna get some Vya and Carpano but not sure where or when thatll happen
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JJPHOTO

JJPHOTO

Registration date : 2008-12-03

Manhattans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manhattans   Manhattans EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 12:31 pm

We only make two cocktails really... dry martinis and manhattans. Martinis in the warmer months, manhattans in the colder months.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jasonjohnsonphoto.com
paddy-boy

paddy-boy

Manhattans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manhattans   Manhattans EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 12:36 pm

JJPHOTO wrote:
We only make two cocktails really... dry martinis and manhattans. Martinis in the warmer months, manhattans in the colder months.
Those are the only two made in our house as well.
For Martinis I like Boodles gin and Noilly Prat Vermouth with three blue cheese stuffed olives.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
glpease
Dark Lord
glpease

Registration date : 2007-12-11

Manhattans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manhattans   Manhattans EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 1:07 pm

rick wrote:
Love em.
Still looking to try the Rittenhouse 100 BIB ..............Ive heard great thangs.

Ive tried:
Old Overholt
WT 101 Rye
Evan Williams 1783
and Noilly Prat sweet vermouth seems to be the one I keep coming back to.

I am still gonna get some Vya and Carpano but not sure where or when thatll happen

Ritterhouse is indeed vary tasty stuff, especially at the price. Last time I bought it, it was on sale at BevMo for about $16.

Last night, a friend poured some Rendezvous Rye from the High West Distillery that was stunning - very rich, with excellent body and complexity. We tasted it neat, but it would make a splendid Manhattan. For bourbon Manhattans, I gravitate towards Maker's Mark.

The Carpano Antica and Vya sweet vermouths are both superb. When I don't have either, I'll mix 1 part of Noilly Prat dry with 2 parts of Martini red, and use 1 part of this this mixture with 3 parts of Rye. When I use the Carpano or Vya, I do the Manhattan 1:4. The "better" vermouths are more assertive, so the higher proportion of Rye lets the whiskey stand up a bit more.

I tend to favor Morello cherries to the viciously sweet supermarket Maraschino bombs. If the rest of the ingredients are exquisite, it makes sense not to cloud thier wonderful flavours with so much sugar syrup.

Is it cocktail hour, yet? The sun's over the yard arm somewhere in the world. Maybe coffee is a better choice right now...

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.glpease.com
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

Manhattans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manhattans   Manhattans EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 1:55 pm

glpease wrote:
I tend to favor Morello cherries to the viciously sweet supermarket Maraschino bombs

Are you using jarred, sweetened Morello cherries or simply muddling fresh cherries in the glass?

I would think soaking dried Morello cherries in sweet vermouth and keeping them in the fridge would be a wonderful way to utilize the fruit in a Manhattan. I may have to make a stop at Trader Joes Very Happy

glpease
Dark Lord
glpease

Manhattans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manhattans   Manhattans EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 2:19 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
glpease wrote:
I tend to favor Morello cherries to the viciously sweet supermarket Maraschino bombs

Are you using jarred, sweetened Morello cherries or simply muddling fresh cherries in the glass?

These are jarred, not overly sweet, and somewhat subtle. I think, in fact, they came from Trader Joe's.

Quote :
I would think soaking dried Morello cherries in sweet vermouth and keeping them in the fridge would be a wonderful way to utilize the fruit in a Manhattan. I may have to make a stop at Trader Joes Very Happy

You speak-a my language, here. That is an ab-fab idea, and one that warrants further exploration. I'm guessing that simmering the cherries in a bit of sweetened sweet vermouth might even be mo bettah. Or, go completely off the charts, and stew them in a Zinfandel port...

I know what we're doing today, Ferb...*

-glp
Back to top Go down
rick

rick

Registration date : 2008-09-25

Manhattans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manhattans   Manhattans EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 2:27 pm

[quote="glpease"]
rick wrote:

Is it cocktail hour, yet? The sun's over the yard arm somewhere in the world. Maybe coffee is a better choice right now...
Cheers!

It is for ME !!......................Friday night, BAAAAAAABEE.
But Im suppin on Rusty Nails today.

Have a great weekend BoB !!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Benjamin Button

Benjamin Button

Registration date : 2008-10-09

Manhattans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manhattans   Manhattans EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 3:01 pm

[quote="glpease"]
Puff Daddy wrote:
glpease wrote:

You speak-a my language, here. That is an ab-fab idea, and one that warrants further exploration. I'm guessing that simmering the cherries in a bit of sweetened sweet vermouth might even be mo bettah. Or, go completely off the charts, and stew them in a Zinfandel port...

-glp

Holy cow...that sounds like an amazing idea. I found my new recipe test for the weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

Manhattans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manhattans   Manhattans EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 3:10 pm

glpease wrote:

-glp

Yes, yes I am! Very Happy

ftrplt

ftrplt

Manhattans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manhattans   Manhattans EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 3:41 pm

I'll have to keep Morello cherry's in mind! Thanks, Greg!! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

Manhattans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manhattans   Manhattans EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 8:58 pm

OK! Very Happy

I sauntered over to Trader Joes and got a jar of whole pitted Morello cherries in a simple syrup - interesting in that the canning liquid is sweet enough to give the cherries an up front sweet character that gives way to an after tatse of rich, sour cherry. In other words the syrup isn't so sweet as to completely destroy a fine sour cherry, just give it a good edible balance. Greg is right, these cherries have body and depth of flavor and are a wonderful replacement for the standard Kool-Aid flavored maraschino.

A bottle of Woodfords reserve and a bottle of Martini & Rossi Rosso, a fairly sweet vermouth with some character. Sadly, Trader Joes had a pretty poor selection of vermouths but luckily they had the Rosso which is pretty good. I'll have to look for some of the others listed in this thread next time I'm in BevMo.

I am basically a less-is-more guy when it comes to adding something to a good grade of alcohol like a fine bourbon or scotch. I'd actually hoped to find a bold rye but there was none on the shelf so I went with the Woodfords as it is a fine stand alone bourbon and I'll certainly enjoy some neat as well as in the Manhattan. I began by dropping a couple of cherries in the bottom of a rocks glass, crushing them lightly with a spoon and then adding 1 part vermouth to 5 parts bourbon, stirring softly and then adding ice. Turned out quite nice and the wife and I enjoyed a quiet cocktail hour on the patio (sunny and low 60's today).

glpease wrote:
The sun's over the yard arm somewhere in the world.
Indeed! cheers

A couple of thoughts and a question for you boys:

These cherries do add a considerable depth and dimension to this cocktail and I've got to wonder just how good it could get, rehydrating dried Morellos in flavored wines. Greg mentioned a zinfandel infusion which sounds interesting but my first thought was a somewhat sweet ruby port Twisted Evil I could see a real depth of flavor with something like that Very Happy

Service of the cocktail will definitely yield differring outcomes as well and though I'm a rocks drinker with cocktails like this I wonder how many of you prefer these up?

jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father
jhuggett

Manhattans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manhattans   Manhattans EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 9:05 pm

No bitters in your Manhattan PD?

I like them served up if I'm drinking singles, anything more than that I prefer on the rocks.

ftrplt

ftrplt

Manhattans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manhattans   Manhattans EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 12:53 am

Like my martinis, straight up!! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
glpease
Dark Lord
glpease

Manhattans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manhattans   Manhattans EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 5:19 am

Puff Daddy wrote:
Greg mentioned a zinfandel infusion which sounds interesting but my first thought was a somewhat sweet ruby port Twisted Evil I could see a real depth of flavor with something like that Very Happy

Actually, I mentioned a Zin port. Some of these are quite delicious. Not as powerful as a typical Ruby, but more like a nice LBV. I figured it would be a nice cooking juice for the dried sours.

Quote :
Service of the cocktail will definitely yield differring outcomes as well and though I'm a rocks drinker with cocktails like this I wonder how many of you prefer these up?

I'm definitely an UP guy in a cocktail glass. I also, with these, feel that stirring is much better than shaking.

People talk about "bruising" the booze, which is nonsense, of course. But, shaking does bruise the ice, the drink dilutes more, and more air is introduced, reducing the silky smoothness that an exquisite cocktail can have. At Chez Pease, there's not a whole lotta shakin' goin' on.

The Woodford is really good stuff at a great price. When you get to BevMo, see if they still have Ritterhouse rye.

Cheers,
Greg
Back to top Go down
Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

Manhattans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manhattans   Manhattans EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 12:06 pm

glpease wrote:
Actually, I mentioned a Zin port.
Ah, so you did. Forgive the misquote, I had a manhattan under my belt at the moment Wink Looks like we were thinking the same thing (or closely so anyhow) as these cherries just scream for a rich, slightly sweet port or desert wine marriage. Another one that comes to mind is a Black Muscat, but with something like that I'd likely utilize a somewhat drier vermouth as the fruit would be considerably sweeter.

I live about 45 minutes from the Montevina winery in the Shenandoah valley, we go there often as it is just a stones throw from one of our favorite places - the Amador Flower Farm, a wonderful nursery with nice gardens to roam and a huge picnic area complete with giant oaks surrounding a nice large lawn and a pair of very large koi ponds. We usually picnic there and stop at Montevina on the way back, picking up a few bottles that can be difficult to find in stores. They have a fantastic Zinfandel port (and occasionally some unique small batch libations like a zinfandel brandy that can only be found on site at certain times) that you are probably already aware of but perhaps some of the other brethren reading this are not - it's a bit pricey but well worth it. Truly delicious stuff.

Click on the image below to read:
Manhattans Rf7nm204wy45

jhuggett wrote:
No bitters in your Manhattan PD?

They didn't have any at the store I went to Laughing Clearly what I made was a pseudo-Manhattan and not a perfect as I had no Rye whisky, so once I decided to go with the Woodfords (darned good stuff so it wasn't much of a concession) the rules and worries fell by the wayside. The true Manhattan is 2 parts Rye to 1 part sweet vermouth with a dash of bitters, but there are so many acceptable variations that it really is now a generic term for whisky and vermouth in some sort of formula. Take a look at the link below. Going back to bartending days - when I used to drink a bit, I seldom do anymore except on a whim such as this - my favorite Manhattan recipe was 4 parts Dickel rye, 1 part sweet vermouth and a splash of bitters served on the rocks with a twist of lemon, properly rubbed along the rim of the glass before being dropped into the drink.

http://www.esquire.com/drinks/manhattan-drink-recipe

Puff Daddy
Puff Daddy

Manhattans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manhattans   Manhattans EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 11:47 pm

Well I got ahold of some Rittenhouse rye at BevMo, and some Noilly Prat sweet and a bottle of bitters. I discovered that the Woodford is just too good to be mixing, it deserves to be enjoyed neat in a nosing glass and is one of the finest bourbons I've ever tried.

I didn't get the 100 proof Rittenhouse, they were out, so I went with the 80 proof. I'll give this a crack in a nosing glass as well just to get a good grip on it's personality. The Manhattans are tasting 'Right' now, with the rye and the bitters. Fine stuff. I had one served 'Up' earlier but I still prefer mine on the rocks, in a 3/1 ratio rye to vermouth with these two brands. Yum! Cool

Wet Dottle

Wet Dottle

Registration date : 2008-02-27

Manhattans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manhattans   Manhattans EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 12:06 am

Hah! The memories. My Grandmother used to always have a jar of full Morello cherries, pitted, submerged in a sweet port. I used to sneak to the liquor cabinet and steel a couple once in a while, not too often not to be caught. I had forgotten about that, but I think I'll start my own stash again. They can stay preserved like that for years...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
glpease
Dark Lord
glpease

Manhattans Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manhattans   Manhattans EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 2:27 am

Wet Dottle wrote:
Hah! The memories. My Grandmother used to always have a jar of full Morello cherries, pitted, submerged in a sweet port. ... They can stay preserved like that for years...

Not round here, they can't. I'm figuring they'd be gone in a fortnight, depending on bottle size, of course. Wink

-glp
Back to top Go down

Manhattans
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Related Pursuits :: The Kitchen & The Speakeasy-
Jump to: