HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

To nog, or not to nog...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Corncobcon

Corncobcon

Registration date : 2017-10-15

To nog, or not to nog... Empty
PostSubject: To nog, or not to nog...   To nog, or not to nog... EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 11:43 am

Eggnog, that is the question. You either enjoy it or you don't. With Christmas or without? I grew up with eggnog at Christmas time. My Mother would make a huge bowl of it for Christmas day. I've always enjoyed it, especially when it was spiked with a favorite form of booze!
My wife, on the other hand doesn't like it, never did. We didn't have it around while raising the kids, so I had to buy it and spike it myself, just for me. Since the kids grew up, we went back to having eggnog at Christmas. Unfortunately, Mother's old receipe has been lost and I don't want to give it a try, so the store bought stuff will have to do.
How about you, yes or no to egg nog?
Back to top Go down
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: To nog, or not to nog...   To nog, or not to nog... EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 12:46 pm

use to love eggnog but now I probably have to eat a bottle of lactose pills if I got a jug
Back to top Go down
peanubutter

peanubutter

Registration date : 2019-01-20

PostSubject: Re: To nog, or not to nog...   To nog, or not to nog... EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 1:57 pm

Not a fan of the eggnog, spiked or not.
Back to top Go down
Puffy

Puffy

Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Re: To nog, or not to nog...   To nog, or not to nog... EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 3:36 pm

No to Nog....Don't care much for it.
Back to top Go down
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: To nog, or not to nog...   To nog, or not to nog... EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 5:54 pm

Absolutely! Have had eggnog at the holidays for as long as I can remember. Still have to learn how to make the home made stuff, have always done store bought. With or without booze doesn't matter. My only issue with it is that it's not around all year!
Back to top Go down
taharris

taharris

Registration date : 2011-11-10

PostSubject: Re: To nog, or not to nog...   To nog, or not to nog... EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 6:29 pm

I love it. Especially with a little (or a lot) of rum. Very Happy

Todd
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/taharris/turningsbytodd
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: To nog, or not to nog...   To nog, or not to nog... EmptyTue Dec 17, 2019 7:12 pm

Used to like the store bought version. Far too sweet for me anymore.

Cheers,

RR

To nog, or not to nog... Purple11x 2To nog, or not to nog... Bombx10  To nog, or not to nog... Bombx9 To nog, or not to nog... D6bddf10 To nog, or not to nog... 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d To nog, or not to nog... Cowboy13

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
eggman
Cornholio
eggman

Registration date : 2007-12-22

PostSubject: Re: To nog, or not to nog...   To nog, or not to nog... EmptyWed Dec 18, 2019 12:10 am

Yes to the nog. I like it with or with rum. My dad put bourbon in his. I think my mom still has her moms or grandmother’s recipe for it. I check and see. If she does I’ll post it. But there are all kinds of recipes online.check out all recipes.
Back to top Go down
swhipple

swhipple

Registration date : 2013-05-02

PostSubject: Re: To nog, or not to nog...   To nog, or not to nog... EmptyWed Dec 18, 2019 12:30 am

I'll drink about 1/2 a glass every season, just to be social but I can't say I really like it. I prefer my rum straight up!

Last edited by swhipple on Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
eggman
Cornholio
eggman

PostSubject: Re: To nog, or not to nog...   To nog, or not to nog... EmptyWed Dec 18, 2019 12:35 am

swhipple wrote:
I'll about 1/2 a glass every season, just to be social but I can't say I really like it. I prefer my rum straight up!

Arrrrrrrrrrr just likes us pirates! Rum be better in ye belly that in the nog Arrrrrrrrrrrr
drunken
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: To nog, or not to nog...   To nog, or not to nog... EmptyWed Dec 18, 2019 12:42 am

No to the nog. Too filling.

About the only drink I enjoy with milk in it is an occasional white Russian with homemade Kahlua.
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: To nog, or not to nog...   To nog, or not to nog... EmptyWed Dec 18, 2019 1:11 am

swhipple wrote:
I'll drink about 1/2 a glass every season, just to be social but I can't say I really like it. I prefer my rum straight up!

This is where I'm at. Makes a good topping for ice cream. I've got some stool stabilizer I have to take with my meds that is similar, but not near as sweet.
Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: To nog, or not to nog...   To nog, or not to nog... EmptyThu Dec 19, 2019 7:47 pm

Oh I nog alright. I have a recipe for it that supposedly comes from George Washington. If there's any interest I can post it. Lots of booze in it bourbon, rum and congac so it pretty much covers the bases.

Jim
Back to top Go down
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

PostSubject: Re: To nog, or not to nog...   To nog, or not to nog... EmptyThu Dec 19, 2019 8:33 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
Oh I nog alright. I have a recipe for it that supposedly comes from George Washington. If there's any interest I can post it. Lots of booze in it bourbon, rum and congac so it pretty much covers the bases.

Jim

Yes please
Back to top Go down
eggman
Cornholio
eggman

PostSubject: Re: To nog, or not to nog...   To nog, or not to nog... EmptyFri Dec 20, 2019 8:59 pm

huffelpuff wrote:

Jim

Yes please post. I would definitely like to see it
Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: To nog, or not to nog...   To nog, or not to nog... EmptySat Dec 21, 2019 12:35 am

Ok well here it is. I admit I was off on what all is in it as I haven't made it in 3 or 4 years but I had the right general idea. This stuff ages quite well and will keep for an easy 6-8 months.

Jim

“One quart cream, one quart milk, one dozen tablespoons sugar, one pint brandy, ½ pint rye whiskey, ½ pint Jamaica rum, ¼ pint sherry
—mix liquor first,
then separate yolks and whites of 12 eggs,
add sugar to beaten yolks,
mix well.

Add milk and cream, slowly beating.
Beat whites of eggs until stiff and fold slowly into mixture.
Let set in cool place for several days.
Taste frequently.”
Back to top Go down
Natch

Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: To nog, or not to nog...   To nog, or not to nog... EmptyMon Dec 30, 2019 3:19 pm

Love it! Like Huffelpuf's post above, my mother made it and handed the recipe down to me (written in 1931). However, the number of raw eggs in it does give pause for concern, but only a brief pause. I rationalize the amount of alcohol will take care of it?

Amazing how we can rationalize almost anything we like or want. Reality! I don't need no stinking reality!

Natch
Back to top Go down

To nog, or not to nog...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: