Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Bub

Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

Coronavirus Empty
PostSubject: Coronavirus   Coronavirus EmptySun Feb 23, 2020 6:38 pm

Since the coronavirus is in the news, I was wondering if anyone has been directly affected or knows anyone who has been affected by the virus. I live in Missouri and my answer is no to both questions. I believe that my wife and I are in a low risk group because we don't travel a lot.
Back to top Go down
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

Coronavirus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus EmptySun Feb 23, 2020 6:45 pm

This year's flu is more deadly. As for coronavirus there are lot's different types and you probably wouldn't even know it unless you had a compromised immune system. As for Wuhan, not much going on in the states unlike the flu virus.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

Coronavirus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus EmptySun Feb 23, 2020 6:52 pm

My boy was traveling in Japan and Korea during the major phase of the outbreak brouhaha and they rated the odds (likelihood...whatever) of his coming into contact with it as zero.  So...here in Oregon...less than zero?  Fine with me.

Coronavirus D6bddf10Coronavirus 29400910Coronavirus 114e6110Coronavirus Ddb39b10Coronavirus Cf77ce10Coronavirus Dd692012Coronavirus Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
swhipple

swhipple

Registration date : 2013-05-02

Coronavirus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus EmptySun Feb 23, 2020 7:45 pm

I don't know anyone directly affected, and I even know some people in China.

The news seems mostly over blown to me. Very low risk in reality to us in the US, but the news media needs something to talk about? The good news is the health organizations in the world are getting much better at containing this type of thing. A hundred years ago something like this would have cut a wide swath through the world.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Coronavirus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus EmptySun Feb 23, 2020 7:52 pm

Yeah...well, the Chinese government seems to have acted fairly swiftly and decisively to deal with it. Still, a goodly number of people there were infected and many died. 45,000 infected and 2,000 dead. And countries outside of China are just starting to be affected. It ain’t over.

Coronavirus D6bddf10Coronavirus 29400910Coronavirus 114e6110Coronavirus Ddb39b10Coronavirus Cf77ce10Coronavirus Dd692012Coronavirus Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
Carlos
Admin
Carlos

Registration date : 2007-12-10

Coronavirus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus EmptySun Feb 23, 2020 9:35 pm

It's affecting the markets and supply chain of certain goods.

The team headed to Swains Island to activate it on amateur radio put it off until fall because of quarantines in the Pacific rim countries.

Looks like Formula 1 could be making multiple changes in the schedule.

"Never turn your back on a Breen".
Back to top Go down
daveinlax

daveinlax

Registration date : 2007-12-28

Coronavirus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus EmptyMon Feb 24, 2020 12:25 am

Carlos wrote:

Looks like Formula 1 could be making multiple changes in the schedule.  
I like that Imola offered to replace China. I imagine it would be for free so it will never happen.Shocked
Back to top Go down
ftrplt

ftrplt

Coronavirus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus EmptyMon Feb 24, 2020 11:31 am

No to both questions ; hoping it stays that way!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
peanubutter

peanubutter

Registration date : 2019-01-20

Coronavirus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus EmptyMon Feb 24, 2020 5:13 pm

I am not aware of anyone affected. Since we are traveling and shopping in different venues I do try to keep sanitation wipes available. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
D.L.Ruth

D.L.Ruth

Registration date : 2018-10-03

Coronavirus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus EmptyMon Feb 24, 2020 6:55 pm

Seems pretty safe where I am. Not to worried about it, after being in some of the dumps I've been to i think i have built quite an immune system!
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Coronavirus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus EmptyMon Mar 02, 2020 11:00 am

Well, over this past weekend I noted a plethora of public and gov’t. sources giving out information that indicated we are in the infancy stages of the corona virus pandemic.  It’s pretty much exploding in a number of countries and either gaining slowly or not yet present in other countries.  In other words, thing are ramping up and the consensus in the medical and scientific communities is that things are certain to get ugly.  In addition, there is already a large hit on segments of the regional and global economies.

There are, however, some segments of the government that continue to claim that here in the US we have things well in hand and all is well.

The “at risk” segments of the population are the sick and elderly.  So if you’re young and healthy the disease should have fairly mild symptoms.  Sounds kinda like a nature show describing a herd of wildebeests or something.  

And so it goes.  Nearly all sources cautioned that there was no reason to panic.  That is unless you enjoy panic.  In that case go right ahead and indulge yourself.  It may seem odd but panicking might well benefit your overall mental health.  

OK...the thing is mostly spread by “droplets” produced by an infected person (and apparently dogs) sneezing or coughing...that then get onto your mouth or nose or eye...cover your own coughs, etc.  And wash your hands.  

————————

The above comments represent the opinions of one person and do not necessarily reflect the position of this site or its management.

Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

Coronavirus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus EmptyMon Mar 02, 2020 11:52 am

Blackhorse wrote:
And wash your hands.
I'm constantly, and consistently, surprised at how resistant people are to this. I don't get it. Not to mention most people don't know how to wash their hands. What? How can that be? Yeah, most people don't know how to wash their hands. I worked in the medical field and around the food industry. Been taught how to wash hands, and I can tell you most people don't get even close. Squirt a little soap on the fingertips, run them under water for three seconds, and done. As if soap is some magical thing and by running your hands near the bottle/dispenser, it cleanses you. At times like this, if you are concerned at all, avoid potlucks and hand shaking.

To this day, the single greatest advancement in medicine is handwashing with running water. It ain't no fluke.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Coronavirus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus EmptyMon Mar 02, 2020 12:36 pm

Yeah...correct. And it’s really the only thing that works. Hand sanitizer does a very poor job.

And don’t forget the CLEAN towel. This is one circumstance when I’ll OK paper towels as a viable option. Drying hands on a pre-used towel is just smearing bugs all over yourself again.

Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

Coronavirus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus EmptyMon Mar 02, 2020 3:31 pm

A little side story here...

Last summer I went to wash my hands in the grocery store bathroom. It had two corners rather than a door. SMART design. No door to touch. BUT...BUT...no paper towels. These hot air jet engine blasters to dry your hands. So, I'm washing my hands, and the guy next to me finishes and proceeds to use one of these blasters to dry his hands. It's summer. I'm wearing shorts. You guessed it. I suddenly feel all this cold water and mist hitting the back of my legs. Whatever was on his hands is now all over my bottom half. It disgusted me.

back to your regularly scheduled program...
Back to top Go down
eggman
Cornholio
eggman

Registration date : 2007-12-22

Coronavirus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus EmptyMon Mar 02, 2020 6:59 pm

I once got sick from drinking WAY too many corona’s I probably had several shots of tequila as well.
Back to top Go down
GeoffC

GeoffC

Registration date : 2011-10-23

Coronavirus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus EmptyMon Mar 02, 2020 7:00 pm

People are nutz . . .

Hand Sanitizer sold out https://www.cvs.com/search?searchTerm=hand%20sanitize
Freeze Dried Food sold out https://www.mountainhouse.com/m/category/entrees.html?Per_Page=12&Sort_By=disp_order&package=2_%2310%20Can

Folks need to get a grip. Oh and don't forget face masks. Yeah sold out despite having zero effect of being effective of catching corona virus only helps if you are infected to help stop spreading it.
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Coronavirus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus EmptyTue Mar 03, 2020 11:31 am

Corona virus is here in Mexico too now. Came from Italy they say. I think the biggest threat is misinformation and panic. There are already videos circulating here about how it was manufactured in the lab as a variation of SARS and being used so pharmaceutical companies can make money. Rolling Eyes Laughing

I think being smart by not putting oneself in harm's way and listening to actual scientific data is probably the safest way to go.

Oh, and viral social media is prolly not the best source of information available lol! lol!

-Yak
Back to top Go down
Bub

Bub

Coronavirus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus EmptyMon Mar 09, 2020 2:36 pm

As Dylan sang "For the times they are a-changin'." About 2 weeks ago I started this topic by asking if anyone had been directly affected or knew anyone who had been affected by the virus. Missouri is now one of the 34 states that has the virus. One of our citizen's daughter returned from a trip to Italy and was subsequently diagnosed with coronavirus. This past week he took his other daughter to a school dance. Unfortunately the school is now closed and his family is the subject of a time article.
https://time.com/5799412/missouri-coronavirus-patient-family-break-quarantine/
This brings me to the rest of the Dylan song:
Come senators, Congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't block up the hall
Back to top Go down
eggman
Cornholio
eggman

Registration date : 2007-12-22

Coronavirus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus EmptyMon Mar 09, 2020 5:46 pm

Last I heard we had one reported case in Tennessee.  But no for something completely different.Coronavirus B8ed4610
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

Coronavirus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus EmptyTue Mar 10, 2020 8:06 pm

Bub wrote:
As Dylan sang "For the times they are a-changin'." About 2 weeks ago I started this topic by asking if anyone had been directly affected or knew anyone who had been affected by the virus. Missouri is now one of the 34 states that has the virus. One of our citizen's daughter returned from a trip to Italy and was subsequently diagnosed with coronavirus. This past week he took his other daughter to a school dance. Unfortunately the school is now closed and his family is the subject of a time article.
https://time.com/5799412/missouri-coronavirus-patient-family-break-quarantine/
This brings me to the rest of the Dylan song:
Come senators, Congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't block up the hall

It would appear that China has actually been successful in curbing the spread of covid-19 as of the last few days. Italy is in a tailspin. I think the draconian measures China is willing to submit to makes it considerably easier to achieve that result. Italy isn't like that.

It is becoming overly politicized and that is precisely what will impede decisive solutions at containment..   Rolling Eyes

-Yak
Back to top Go down
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

Coronavirus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus EmptyWed Mar 11, 2020 7:46 pm

We're on spring break this week, but return on Monday. By next Friday, however, we're to try and
'deliver alternate' classes starting a week from Monday (details of what that might mean, or allow us to do, tomorrow). This on orders for the entire UNC system. This...might be difficult to achieve for my classes, but I'll do what I have to do.

I was actually on campus today, and a maintenance worker was going around disinfecting all the door handles, don't know if that will do much good. (Guess it doesn't hurt). There are 7 'presumptive' cases in the state right now, all, I think, in the Raleigh-Durham area.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Bub

Bub

Coronavirus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus EmptyWed Mar 11, 2020 7:59 pm

Many colleges are asking students to leave campus and finish their courses online.
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020/03/11/harvard-cornell-mit-and-others-ask-students-leave-campus-due-coronavirus
Back to top Go down
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

Coronavirus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus EmptyWed Mar 11, 2020 8:07 pm

Bub wrote:
Many colleges are asking students to leave campus and finish their courses online.
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020/03/11/harvard-cornell-mit-and-others-ask-students-leave-campus-due-coronavirus

To true; I know Tulane is, and Duke & Elon here in NC
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
MisterE
MisterE

Coronavirus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 11:27 am

Bub wrote:

The same is happening here. People who have any sort of symptoms are being encouraged to stay away from hospital emergency rooms and public places. At this point it is only a suggestion. No official policy.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
LL

LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

Coronavirus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 12:58 pm

If you are 60+ in age there is legitimate reason to be concerned.

Younger than that and it's "just another flu season":

Coronavirus Corona-mortality
Back to top Go down

Coronavirus
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: