Coronavirus

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

Coronavirus - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 1:22 pm

So...given the progression...if you’re 110 your odds are 100% certain death. Bummer.

Coronavirus - Page 2 D6bddf10Coronavirus - Page 2 29400910Coronavirus - Page 2 114e6110Coronavirus - Page 2 Ddb39b10Coronavirus - Page 2 Cf77ce10Coronavirus - Page 2 Dd692012Coronavirus - Page 2 Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
DrT999

DrT999

Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 1:29 pm

1st two cases here in Forsyth County--a couple who picked it up on a cruise
Back to top Go down
http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 1:36 pm

DrT999 wrote:
1st two cases here in Forsyth County--a couple who picked it up on a cruise

Oh...you mean those giant floating petre dishes?

Coronavirus - Page 2 D6bddf10Coronavirus - Page 2 29400910Coronavirus - Page 2 114e6110Coronavirus - Page 2 Ddb39b10Coronavirus - Page 2 Cf77ce10Coronavirus - Page 2 Dd692012Coronavirus - Page 2 Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
DrT999

DrT999

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 12, 2020 3:09 pm

This just in....

At this time, we are not aware of any COVID-19 cases at WSSU. The university is still open.
EXTENSION OF SPRING BREAK
Spring Break is extended until March 22. No academic instruction will be offered during this break.

I still have to go in for an emergency department meeting Monday, however.

H'mmm, guess we'll see what happens next....
Back to top Go down
Bub

Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 14, 2020 12:05 pm

Boy...things have changed since yesterday.
Trump and local governments declared states of emergency, you can get a coronavirus test in your car, grocery stores are out of items, our recreation center is closed until further notice, etc...
Maybe this is for the best.
My guess is that we are in uncharted waters for at least two months.
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 14, 2020 1:24 pm

I guess the good thing about having the attention span of gnats and the general quick pace of our world is that the frenzy won't last long. We'll quickly get distracted by other things and go back to our normal level of malaise, anxiety, and anger. The whole survivalist thing won't last too long, or at least I doubt it will. A week or two at most? The financial burden and new economic landscape is here to stay for a while, but how we address it from a primal, emotional state will subside relatively quickly. It's the bright side of being a dimwitted, shortsighted culture. Here's to hoping the frontal lobe is ready for the task.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 14, 2020 1:35 pm

If you think you can drive out and get a test...or go anywhere to get one...I think you’re sadly mistaken.

Back to top Go down
LL

LL

Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 14, 2020 1:53 pm

Human nature is as predictable as gravity. The difference is Social Media reached critical mass since the last go-round. (SARS, Zika, H1N1/swine, etc. were functionally no different than this Corona thing.)

And what flaw in human nature does Social Media not only enable but PROMOTE BY DESIGN? Groupthink.

Upvotes, downvotes, re-tweets, cancel culture, and so forth are nothing but Medieval "She's a witch!" fingerpointing writ large.

And here we are.

Back to top Go down
DrT999

DrT999

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 14, 2020 1:57 pm

I find it interesting how many companies are e-mailing out their responses (even an upscale Napa winery sent one out -- 'we're still open, but will limit seating in the tasting room to assure social distancing,' and 'sports clips' -- 'extra disinfecting and we'll no longer shake hands', not to mention the USPS, Red Roof Inns, etc.). No doubt overall a good thing?
Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 14, 2020 2:08 pm

DrT999 wrote:
I find it interesting...
that people are buying toilet paper for a respiratory virus. Government has failed at properly informing us. Media has failed at properly informing us (mostly because they're obsessed with covering the government and not the entire situation). We've failed at absorbing what little information is available.
Back to top Go down
DrT999

DrT999

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 14, 2020 2:20 pm

Zeno Marx wrote:
DrT999 wrote:
I find it interesting...
that people are buying toilet paper for a respiratory virus.  Government has failed at properly informing us.  Media has failed at properly informing us (mostly because they're obsessed with covering the government and not the entire situation).  We've failed at absorbing what little information is available.

Buying an extra hand sanitizer, soap, even canned foods, I can understand; stockpiling, not really.  The toilet paper, bread, and milk, I don't understand, other than as panic buying.

If you're stockpiling MRE's to living off in self-isolation, buy a jug wine called 'Pisano' -- I learned in the aftermath of Katrina when I had to live off of those for nearly 3 weeks that it's the only wine that pairs with MRE's; the really good wines don't. YMMV Cool
Back to top Go down
Bub

Bub

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 14, 2020 3:39 pm

Coronavirus - Page 2 5e6cefd578095.image

Mercy nurses work to collect samples from patients at a coronavirus testing center outside the Mercy Virtual Care Center in Chesterfield on Saturday, March 14, 2020. The drive-thru testing center will open to patients daily from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m.
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 12:36 am

I think human nature might actually be what turns around the social media feedback loop. For a relatively small few, the notion of developing thought independent of the external program is still very much alive. I find it curious that guys like Jaron Lanier and others who forsaw the progression have flat out stated that the turning point was when IT looked to corporate funding to continue development. I'm not sure of exact figures, but Facebook's market value went up something like 2000% in less than a year when the technology was weaponized for corporate interest. The very people who developed virtual reality recognized that the whole idea of what it was developed for was then lost.

What is scarier than the repeating and predictable human behavior cycle are the people who understood this early on yet hadn't the ethical development to consider the longer term consequences. The social division, the widening of the political spectrum to extremism as a norm, and the lack of belief in any sort of external reality is a direct result of encouraging dependence on algorithms as a solution. An algorithm in itself is a negative feedback loop that will only act within the parameters it was developed for. But as work on machine learning and AI develops better self learning algorithms, the parameters themselves eventually will not be able be comprehended fully. Increasingly so. Even exponentially so, depending on who you ask. Simply unplugging it that point won't work because we won't even know what the game is anymore.

But to have seen it coming and not act upon it is not enough. That's why I believe that the basic human capacity to recognize BS and choose not go with it is what will ultimately halt the trend. If GIGO is the problem, don't feed the effing machine.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 1:05 am

Quote from Mr E...” That's why I believe that the basic human capacity to recognize BS and choose not go with it is what will ultimately halt the trend.”

I honestly don’t think I see a lot of this going on out there. Under differing circumstances a human population is capable of believing and allowing some truly heinous things. There are historic examples as well as modern and current. I do have hope but it’s not a wellspring...more like a trickle.

Understand that the above is judged from MY perspective. I look at my family history...1. way back in the 1600’s my father’s ancestors arrived in America...2. My maternal grandparents came over on a boat from Norway and were dairy farmers...3. my parents grew up in the Great Depression and fought (etc.) in WWII...amid the development of airplanes and antibiotics...4. and me...baby boomer entering adulthood amid computers, space exploration and cell phone tech. What a huge gap between who we were and what we believed and strived for. Four totally different populations believing totally different things. It would be interesting to know what the other three would think of all this. Would they even be able to understand it. At least, coming from the same general cultural pathway, the basics of what is right and what isn’t should be common.

Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 8:08 am

Things are changing rapidly here in the UK. Under new governmental guidance I'm now on day 4/7 of self-isolation having had several of the symptoms of Covid 19 (but unconfirmed as untested).

There's been a few Covid 19 related deaths here too. But what the media don't tell you about is the dozens of others who die on a daily basis from 'normal' flu.

The impact is going to continue to grow, it's going to be huge, but in my view the dangerousness of it will remain comparatively low.
Back to top Go down
swhipple

swhipple

Registration date : 2013-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 8:41 am

This thing seems like the cure is far worse than the disease to me. I'm ashamed of my society for how easily we have all been scared into panic. The power of social media I guess. Or as I prefer to call it addictive media.

My real fear is that when this passes and people look back and see how much they over reacted they will totally balk at these same restrictions if a real killer disease comes along.

On the bright side, I have enough tobacco cellared that I can smoke as much as I want. So light a pipe and puff away your cares.

Stay safe out there everyone.
Back to top Go down
DrT999

DrT999

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 8:46 am

swhipple wrote:

On the bright side, I have enough tobacco cellared that I can smoke as much as I want. So light a pipe and puff away your cares.

To encourage social distancing, I am smoking Black Irish Twist on my walks.
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 9:38 am

Mr. Whipple...(my $0.02) The differences between Corona and Flu are significant. First, mortality in the population...Corona is at least 10 X more lethal than the flu. Flu stat is 0.01 vs Corona stat of 1.0 - 2.5. Plus...no one in the population has any immunity. So Corona has an open playing field AND is not seasonal that we know of. So we can’t look forward to a Summer slow-down. Lastly...it is most lethal to specific age groups...older = more and more likely to perish. So I’m quite nervous about potential exposure.

Absolutely this is no time to panic. Keep calm and wash your hands should be the new mantra.

Back to top Go down
Cadfael

Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 12:52 pm

My son lives in Summit Co. Colorado - it is getting bad there. Several cases in the county have people rushing the grocery stores. The resorts are closed and layoffs are abundant.
Back to top Go down
LL

LL

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 2:11 pm

swhipple wrote:
This thing seems like the cure is far worse than the disease to me. I'm ashamed of my society for how easily we have all been scared into panic. The power of social media I guess. Or as I prefer to call it addictive media.

Absolutely this.  ^^^^

All manner of dire shit will cascade/domino in every direction from shutting down the world, but since the effects will be un-traceable in terms of who is directly responsible, no one will "pay" for it.  

A textbook example is some places are emptying out prisons (?!) to remove their cruise-ship-like close quarters from the social equation.  

Never mind that the average age in prisons is a group barely affected by the virus, and the mayhem the prisoners will likely set to with great industriousness after being released, the Social Media Virture Signal Points will have been scored.  Or, if you prefer, the witch-calling and fingerpointing guaranteed to come from the Touchy Feely crowd if the prisoners had stayed locked up will have been avoided.

Bottom Line:  Big picture / long term consequence is NEVER on the menu when the fat part of the bell curve does its thinking, but that fat part is what DRIVES social media decision making because it has the loudest collective voice.
Back to top Go down
DrT999

DrT999

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 16, 2020 3:24 pm

Today's stupidity: now missing from my local grocery, water (do they expect the electricity to go off, taking down the city's water supply?) and, most oddly of all, eggs (95% emptied out).
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 10:33 am

Groan. Today I start driving my 26 y.o. daughter to and from work...an hour round trip each way. Up til now she’s been taking “Tri-Met” (our metro bus/train system). My wife just up and volunteered me with no consultation. Sure I want to prevent her getting THE virus. Sure I understand that avoiding mass transit will go a long way toward prevention. So everybody’s happy...except me. No one except me seems to have even thought about the other side of the coin. Instead of my being able to keep a safe distance from out little virus vector (since she’s out in the population every day) here at home and otherwise doing comprehensive cleaning and hand washing to avoid spread...now I get to spend 30 minutes twice a day sitting next to her in the front seat of our car! So who does this driving thing help...and who does it put at significantly greater risk? At 26, if she gets it she will undergo a not nice flu-like thing. If she passes it to me, at 72 y.o., who knows how serious it will end up by being. When I even alluded to this putting ME at much greater risk I was immediately branded as the mean, uncaring, selfish father. WHAT? I reminded my wife that the last time I got the common cold was from sitting next to a sniffling woman on a flight up from San Francisco. Proximity means passing germs...right? Even the dog growled at me. So...pretty much, I figure I’m screwed. Nice knowing you boys. In lieu of flowers send a donation in my name to the Wounded Warrior Project.

Sad

Back to top Go down
Zeno Marx

Zeno Marx

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 12:43 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
My wife just up and volunteered me with no consultation.
This is a pet peeve of mine: people spending other people's time. Which implies a few things: 1) impulsiveness at someone else's expense 2) glory at someone else's expense 3) judging my use of my time as lesser than your use of my time. Sorry, this could be a whole other thread. My head explodes when someone spends my time for me, or when I see it happening to someone else in front of me.

As to your situation, BUMMER. Don't they have a park and ride? Let her take your car by herself?
Back to top Go down
LL

LL

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 1:00 pm

The best consolidated "at a glance" info source I've found:

https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/covid-19-coronavirus-infographic-datapack/
Back to top Go down
beeman86

beeman86

Registration date : 2014-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus   Coronavirus - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 17, 2020 4:22 pm

No reports exactly where I am but I'm in an isolated little village off the beaten path. We stocked up on few things to get us through2 - 3 weeks if the need arises...a bit longer if we push it. I was all content to lay low here around the farm until a family crisis ( totally avoidable) took me to the city and subsequently into an emergency ward for 6 hours. Totally po'd about that. That was 4 days ago and so far so good.

It's the panicked buying that really drives me nuts. Because every one is buying everything off the shelves ( a Walmart down where I was had zero food - totally bare shelves) it forces one to buy extra as well because if I went back in 2 or 3 weeks there will be nothing to buy!

We might visit some friends locally as long as they've been nowhere.

In all this delerium has everyone forgotten what's important? It's St. Patrick's day!!! I went to the garage, lit a Peterson 301 and thought about and gave thanks to the wonderful souls who had part in making this gorgeous pipe; the hands that handled it, drilled the airway and dyed it jet black, sandblasted it, the smithy who formed and stamped the nickel band and the craftsman who drilled and formed the stem. Probably some are not even living anymore. Happy St. Patrick's day everyone!
Back to top Go down

Coronavirus
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: